OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 12:18:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Only way to God is through Mary?  (Read 3425 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2011, 01:31:50 AM »

I will speak up for our Catholic friends on this one. That is hyperbole at best.

Any person who would profess such literal beliefs would not be a Roman Catholic and would be deemed a heretic and be anathematized for professing the same.

And furthermore I can't imagine that any Orthodox would think that Roman Catholics believe that. We at least should know better.
Hang around the Mediatrix, Kolbe's Immaculata, etc. types enough and you will know better.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Paisius
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2011, 01:34:08 AM »

Hang around the Mediatrix, Kolbe's Immaculata, etc. types enough and you will know better.

The fringe doesn't define the group. If it does then we certainly are in trouble.

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2011, 01:48:54 AM »

The fringe doesn't define the group. If it does then we certainly are in trouble.
"Fringe"? The "Militia of the Immaculata" of St. Maxamillian Kolbe  are not "fringe" Catholics. They are an official Apostolate of the Catholic Church recognized by the Vatican:
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/laity/documents/rc_pc_laity_doc_20051114_associazioni_en.html#MILITIA%20OF%20THE%20IMMACULATA
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:58:13 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2011, 01:49:15 AM »

We're not the ones in trouble.

They're not fringe, and if they were, they are the ones defining the group.  Dr. Mark Miravelle is the Vatican's product
Mark Miravalle made his undergraduate studies in theology as a student in the St. Ignatius Institute (Catholic Great Books program) of the University of San Francisco. He earned the Licentiate of Sacred Theology and Doctor of Sacred Theology degrees at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas (Angelicum) in Rome. His doctoral dissertation was on the message of the alleged Marian apparitions at Medjugorje.

As of 2009, Dr. Miravalle holds the rank of Professor of Theology at Franciscan University, where he has taught since 1986, and where he has received several teaching awards. His areas of specialization are Mariology and spiritual theology.

Miravalle has made numerous appearances on Catholic television and radio for EWTN, the Apostolate for Family Consecration, National Family Catholic Radio, and Air Maria, the media project of the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate.

He has been interviewed for CNN Latin America, BBC, Fox News, and the NBC series Dateline.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Miravalle

I have heard him speak several times. He never fails to make my flesh crawl with the heresy he exposes.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2011, 02:30:08 AM »

Hence, as it was through the Theotokos alone that the Lord came to us, appeared upon earth and lived among men, being invisible to all before this time, so likewise in the endless age to come, without her mediation, every emanation of illuminating divine light, every revelation of the mysteries of the Godhead, every form of spiritual gift, will exceed the capacity of every created being. She alone has received the all-pervading fulness of Him that filleth all things, and through her all may now contain it, for she dispenses it according to the power of each, in proportion and to the degree of the purity of each. Hence she is the treasury and overseer of the riches of the Godhead. For it is an everlasting ordinance in the heavens that the inferior partake of what lies beyond being, by the mediation of the superior, and the Virgin Mother is incomparably superior to all. It is through her that as many as partake of God do partake, and as many as know God understand her to be the enclosure of the Uncontainable One, and as many as hymn God praise her together with Him. She is the cause of what came before her, the champion of what came after her and the agent of things eternal. She is the substance of the prophets, the principle of the apostles, the firm foundation of the martyrs and the premise of the teachers of the Church . She is the glory of those upon earth, the joy of celestial beings, the adornment of all creation. She is the beginning and the source and root of unutterable good things; she is the summit and consummation of everything holy.
-St Gregory Palamas  Cool angel

Magnificent!

I never saw this quote from St. Gregory Palamas before.
That's because its not a quote from St. Gregory Palamas. There is nothing even remotely resembling a translation of this in the original. HOCNA is a schismatic group, don't rely on their "translations".

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2011, 02:37:03 AM »

HOCNA is a schismatic group, don't rely on their "translations".

Their translation of The Ladder is great!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:37:22 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2011, 02:39:00 AM »

HOCNA is a schismatic group, don't rely on their "translations".

Their translation of the Ladder is great!
I'll grant you that one. Certainly much better than "The Classics of Western Spirituality" version.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2011, 08:30:47 AM »

I heard that Roman Catholics believe Mary is a goddess and died on the cross for our sins.

I will speak up for our Catholic friends on this one. That is hyperbole at best.

Any person who would profess such literal beliefs would not be a Roman Catholic and would be deemed a heretic and be anathematized for professing the same. 

That being said, the artwork displayed by others does point out the grave dangers of using imaginative and 'romanticized' visions to explain difficult concepts such as the role of the Theotokas and the venerable place she holds in the Church and in the spiritual lives of believers. Saint Iaint summed up the eastern point of view succinctly.

Danger?  Really?

At no time in the Roman rite or ritual do the people or the priest EVER call upon the Mother of God to save them!!

Speaking of danger.
If you think that, why didn't you stay where you were and not go east and endanger you soul?

what?   Do I think what?  Tell me.  What do I think?  It'll save time.

JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2011, 03:16:05 PM »

The Son ALWAYS and FOREVER in every moment is coming from Her.
My understanding is that the Son is eternal and is begotten of the Father.  How then could the above statement be true?

The statement could be true because it is a statement about the Mystery of the Incarnation. The Only-Begotten Son and Immortal Word of God, Who, with His Father and the Holy Spirit, is "God ineffable, inconceivable, invisible, incomprehensible, ever existing and eternally the same", entered into space and time, was incarnate, and became man. He is the Lamb, slain from the foundation of the world. Of course Mary's birthgiving in time and space has eternal significance: the One to Whom she gave birth is the Son of God.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Tags: Mary  god  only way mediatrix Theotokos 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: