Author Topic: Jesus Christ was Tempted?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
Jesus Christ was Tempted?
« on: February 02, 2011, 12:54:58 PM »
I've been wondering, if Jesus was/is the uncreated person (son) of God, and He had a human and divine nature with the same will, how could He be tempted by Satan? Why would God be tempted? Especially, some of the particular temptations:

Luke 4:9-11 (English Standard Version)
9 And he took him to Jerusalem and set him on the pinnacle of the temple and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down from here, 10 for it is written, "'He will command his angels concerning you, to guard you,' 11 and On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone.'"
Did Jesus or Satan doubt the divinity of Christ?

Matthew 4:8-10
8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. 9And he said to him, "All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me." 10Then Jesus said to him, "Be gone, Satan! For it is written, "'You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'"
If Jesus is of one essence with the Father, could this even have become a reality? To have one person of God at conflict with an other?

I don't know where this thought came from, but it's making me doubt Jesus' divinity. Can someone help me out?

I'm going to need this.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Jesus Christ was Tempted?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:06:59 PM »
I've been wondering, if Jesus was/is the uncreated person (son) of God, and He had a human and divine nature with the same will, how could He be tempted by Satan? Why would God be tempted? Especially, some of the particular temptations:

9 And he took him to Jerusalem and set him on the pinnacle of the temple and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down from here, 10 for it is written, "'He will command his angels concerning you, to guard you,' 11 and On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone.'"
I think the truth might be in this question here. "Did Jesus or Satan doubt the divinity of Christ?" There's no question that Jesus was fully aware of His own divinity, but we're not so sure about Satan. Satan isn't all-knowing and isn't as perceptive into the hearts of people as God is. More than once during his battles with the God-man Jesus Christ did Satan possibly not know that Jesus is God. As an example, if Satan were to know full well that Jesus is God, would he have taken Him into the abode of the dead through crucifixion? I've seen in some of our hymnography for Holy Saturday the idea that Jesus tricked Satan into thinking he was taking a mere man into Hades only to meet with God, the very source of life and destroyer of death.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:07:37 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »
Are not what seem like flaws to us in the Lord's behavior actually just part of His taking on our human nature for our redemption? In His human nature on the cross, the Lord cried out to God asking why He was forsaken but is this not redemption for humans who inevitably fall into despair when enduring suffering & hardship?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 02:15:55 PM by recent convert »
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 02:18:07 PM »

Matthew 4:8-10
8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. 9And he said to him, "All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me." 10Then Jesus said to him, "Be gone, Satan! For it is written, "'You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'"
If Jesus is of one essence with the Father, could this even have become a reality? To have one person of God at conflict with an other?

I don't know where this thought came from, but it's making me doubt Jesus' divinity. Can someone help me out?

Of course He was tempted. Hebrews 4:15 "For we have not a high priest, who can not have compassion on our infirmities: but one tempted in all things like as we are, without sin." The temptation comes from His human nature, the Son of God tempted by virture of the Incarnation.

No, He could never conflict with His Father, but that wasn't going to stop Satan.  After all, did Lucifer really think he would overthrow God?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline David Garner

• Elder
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 02:56:35 PM »

Without getting into the rest of your question, which I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer, I do wish to note that Jesus did not have "a human and divine nature with the same will."  That's monothelitism.  Rather, He had a human nature with its own human will, and a divine nature with its own divine will.  That He never exercised those natures in contrast to each other does not imply there was only one will.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:09:48 PM »
Are not what seem like flaws to us in the Lord's behavior actually just part of His taking on our human nature for our redemption? In His human nature on the cross, the Lord cried out to God asking why He was forsaken but is this not redemption for humans who inevitably fall into despair when enduring suffering & hardship?

He was speaking the incipit of Psalm 22:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+22&version=NKJV

by which the entire psalm could be known.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 04:11:01 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline MyMapleStory

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 05:22:11 PM »
I think there are two senses in which a person can be tempted.

Jesus was tempted yes, but felt no compulsion for the offer.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:48:19 PM »
Thank you everyone for your replies. You've helped me regain my perspective.

I'm going to need this.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 11:50:47 PM »
While on earth, Jesus did not do things by His own initiative, but came to do what the Father wanted done.  Satan was tempting Him to rely on Himself rather than on God.

Offline ipm

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 12:09:10 AM »
His human nature had perfect obedience to the Father.