Author Topic: Memory Eternal  (Read 963 times)

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian
Memory Eternal
« on: February 02, 2011, 02:13:56 AM »
What exactly is the idea behind saying something like "Memory eternal" when someone dies?
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline authio

• Elder
Re: Memory Eternal
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 02:30:18 AM »
It's a shorter way of saying "Grant rest, O Lord, to the soul of Thy servant N, and make his memory eternal!" ie Remember Thy servant in Thy Kingdom, at the Dread Judgment.

It's a common way to pray - Remember N, Remember NN, Remember NNN until you're all NNNN'd out.
Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام

Offline Cognomen

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Ungrateful Biped
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:36:24 AM »
Thanks for asking, Anastasia.  I wasn't sure of its origin or full meaning either.

Can you field, "Many Years" too, authio?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 02:38:09 AM by Cognomen »
North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:19:01 AM »
"Eternal Memory" is the hymn that is chanted as part of Trisagion Services, which begin with "Holy God, Holy Mighty..." (the Trisagion or Thrice-Holy prayers), Memorial Services, and Funeral Services for the dead.  It is chanted near the end of the service, three times.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."

Offline authio

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »

Hmm? Field?
Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
  • my finger points
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »

Hmm? Field?

Meaning something along the lines of "taking up or handling or taking care of something". In other words, he wants you to answer what "many years" means as well.

Offline authio

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 12:43:06 AM »
@ Asterikos - thanks.

@ Cognomen - I only remember "many years" being part of "Grant, O Lord, a prosperous life and success in all endeavors to Thy servant N, and preserve him for many years."  God grant you many years is then sung with great joy, and sometimes results in partial loss of hearing.
Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 12:45:52 AM »

^^^   ;)
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 01:03:38 AM »
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 01:24:26 AM »
I've had it explained to me that memory eternal does not refer to our memory of the departed person, as our memories are finite and temporal, but rather refers to God's eternal regard and lovingkindess for His departed servant. No doubt someone could say something more about this.
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline Irish Melkite

• Information Mongeror
  • High Elder
    • Byzantine Forum
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 04:54:36 AM »

I suppose that, since I have signed virtually every post that I've ever made at this forum or at ByzCath with 'Many years', I should speak to this.

It is an abbreviated form of the prayer asking that God grant the person to whom it's addressed many years - 'May God grant you many years'

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:55:30 AM by Irish Melkite »
"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory

Offline Irish Melkite

• Information Mongeror
  • High Elder
    • Byzantine Forum
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 05:08:58 AM »
I've had it explained to me that memory eternal does not refer to our memory of the departed person, as our memories are finite and temporal, but rather refers to God's eternal regard and lovingkindess for His departed servant. No doubt someone could say something more about this.

akimori,

I would agree with you in part. An aged and venerable priest, Father Archimandrite Orestes, of blessed memory, once told me that he understood the prayerful hope expressed is both that the departed be remembered forever in the hearts, minds, and prayers of the faithful and, more especially, that God 'remember' the person in His kingdom and unto the ages of ages.

'remember' being understood in the context of the supplicative prayer of St Dismas - 'Remember me, Lord, when You come into Your Kingdom' ('Accept' me into Your Kingdom)

Many years,

Neil

Addendum - and before anyone asks - 'of blessed memory' is an expression of one's belief that those of whom it is said are remembered as being faithful and devoted servants of God, whom we trust are in His presence.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:11:58 AM by Irish Melkite »
"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory