OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 10:30:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That begs the question: What is irony?  (Read 7947 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2011, 06:00:17 PM »

My wife and others I know go "garage sale-ing" (saling?, sailing?).
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2011, 09:00:22 PM »

That's how we said it where I grew up. I have no problem with colloquialism.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2011, 09:04:32 PM »

In all my years of looking at signs reading "garage sale", it never occurred to me until today to read it as French words that translate to English as "dirty garage"  Tongue.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2011, 09:27:18 PM »

"On mass".

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2011, 09:29:35 PM »

Per say!

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2011, 10:48:29 PM »

He said while interneting...
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2011, 11:02:25 PM »

Deeply profound.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2011, 11:02:50 PM »

Ending sentences with prepositions is something I am against. They are not something you should end sentences with. What do people do it for? What school did these people go to? I won't put up with it.

Ect.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2011, 11:03:06 PM »

Per say!
I don't think I've ever seen that one.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2011, 11:03:31 PM »

He said while interneting...

I dropped a word there: that colloquialism. Really did forget to add it.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2011, 11:04:50 PM »

We also used to say this, in the acting biz. "Well, I did theater before I did film."

How do you "do" theater? In the dark? With an audience watching? With a round of applause after? Haha, I kid.

It tends to bother me, but when people ask me about my acting past, I always say, "I did theater" or "I did straight plays, not musicals."

It's like that in Farsi, where if there isn't a verb, you can do (Kardan) a noun. My tutor told me that if you reverse the words (I think you have to say "Fax I do" rather than I do fax"), the connotation can be taken as sexual. But that "begs the question," how do you do a fax?  Tongue

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2011, 11:07:20 PM »

Ending sentences with prepositions is something I am against. They are not something you should end sentences with. What do people do it for? What school did these people go to? I won't put up with it.

Ect.

German languages end sentences with "prepositions" whether in the form of what would be considered classical a "preposition" or separable verbal prefixes which nearly always are a "preposition".

This is another attempt to make English sound Latin. English has been ending sentences with "prepositions" forever.

Split infinitives, etc. as well. You can pretty much through any grammar rule out the door that reeks of Classical Latin grammar.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2011, 11:08:35 PM »

We also used to say this, in the acting biz. "Well, I did theater before I did film."

How do you "do" theater? In the dark? With an audience watching? With a round of applause after? Haha, I kid.

It tends to bother me, but when people ask me about my acting past, I always say, "I did theater" or "I did straight plays, not musicals."

It's like that in Farsi, where if there isn't a verb, you can do (Kardan) a noun. My tutor told me that if you reverse the words (I think you have to say "Fax I do" rather than I do fax"), the connotation can be taken as sexual. But that "begs the question," how do you do a fax?  Tongue

Worst usage ever of this construction:

Tourists: Yeah, we did London last week.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2011, 11:09:22 PM »

"Mute" instead of "moot".

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2011, 11:13:14 PM »

Per say!
I don't think I've ever seen that one.
Lucky.  Wink

I think that people are so used to hearing a phrase without knowing its origin and therefore, how to spell it. It boggles my mind. My husband is a horrible speller (love him to death, but spelling is not his strong suit), and I am constantly shocked at how many phrases he knows without understanding their origin. He can say the words in the correct context, but don't ask him to spell them!

--
--
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2011, 11:13:58 PM »

Ect.

German languages end sentences with "prepositions" whether in the form of what would be considered classical a "preposition" or separable verbal prefixes which nearly always are a "preposition".

This is another attempt to make English sound Latin. English has been ending sentences with "prepositions" forever.

Split infinitives, etc. as well. You can pretty much through any grammar rule out the door that reeks of Classical Latin grammar.

It's true, it's really a silly rule. I mean, is anyone going to say "That is something with which I will not put!" Honestly...

I'm personally rather opposed to the Latinizations that English underwent. Relatedly, I find this website very interesting: http://anglish.wikia.com/wiki/Headside
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2011, 11:15:43 PM »

"Mute" instead of "moot".

Too bad all folks spewing moot arguments were not mute as well.

bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2011, 11:16:23 PM »

LIKE, as a crutch word.

I was, like, driving to church today and almost hit a bird.

Sadly, this was somehow ingrained into me and I cannot, for the life of me, remove this word from my speech. I can't not say it. In my experience it seems that most people under, like, 30 talk this way.

Oh, that I had the Valley Girl cadence and tone to go with it. OMG that'd be, like, totally.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:20:54 PM by bogdan » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2011, 11:18:47 PM »

Ect.

I am sick of my head messing with my typing.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2011, 11:20:58 PM »

LIKE, as a crutch word.

Sadly, this was somehow ingrained into me and I cannot, for the life of me, remove this word from my speech. I can't not say it. In my experience it seems that most people under, like, 30 talk this way.
Do you live in New Jersey? My childhood racist Canadian professor would always rant about how New Jersey firmly established the word "like" in Northeast vernacular.

I'm also part valley girl AND from Jersey. "Like" isn't going anywhere, unfortunately.

--
--
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2011, 11:27:16 PM »

LIKE, as a crutch word.

Oh, that I had the Valley Girl cadence and tone to go with it. OMG that'd be, like, totally.
I developed a bad habit of saying "like" in High School. I dropped it somewhere along the way. I'm like totally not sure where.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2011, 11:27:42 PM »

LIKE, as a crutch word.

Do you live in New Jersey? My childhood racist Canadian professor would always rant about how New Jersey firmly established the word "like" in Northeast vernacular.

I'm also part valley girl AND from Jersey. "Like" isn't going anywhere, unfortunately.

No, Michigan. I think this mostly came in via the media, because I grew up in the middle of nowhere and none of the adults I grew up around talk this way.

Now if we want to start on Michigander English, dere's so mach to say; we kin bolth laugh and cry about dat. I'munna not go dere right now though.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2011, 11:29:50 PM »

Let's not forget about de-thaw (for "thaw" or "de-ice"), hot water heater and ink pen.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:32:33 PM by bogdan » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2011, 01:29:46 AM »

LIKE, as a crutch word.

There have always been what you call "crutch words" or intonational patterns in speech which serve the same function: hold on, I am still thinking and am not quite finished yet.

The development of the so-call "Valley Girl" talk is interesting. The raising tone on nearly every sentence, which typically in English suggests a question, functions primarily to suggest that anyone is allowed to break into the discourse. This pattern of speech can been seen in Appalachia through to the Ozarks and those folks settling into the LA valley brought that cadence of speech with them.

Where I grew up, most sentences had an upwards rising tone to function as described above. Not nearly as pronounced as the Valley-Tone, but it was still there.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:30:13 AM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2011, 01:31:47 AM »

But I do agree the excess of the word like is obnoxious. And easily caught no matter how hard you try, if you are surrounded by many who use it.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2011, 01:34:30 AM »

Hah, I wouldn't have connected Valley girl talk to the Ozarks!

Whatever it is, it needs to go away. I used to talk like that really strongly in high school (and I wasn't the typical valley girl, so imagine a girl saying something like "And so, I was like totally reading about spies in the Cold War era last night, like, oh my God!"). Thankfully. moving to the South has tempered that a bit. (Now it's "like" AND "y'all." The horror!)

But when I get really excited, it all comes out again. As I say, you can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take the Jersey out of the girl.

--
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2011, 01:35:53 AM »

Let's not forget about de-thaw (for "thaw" or "de-ice"), hot water heater and ink pen.

You why ink pen exists? We used it as I grew up. Cause we pronounced pin and pen exactly the same. The vowel reduction and the actual common use of pins and less common use of pens, meant there had to be some way to differentiate the two.

Been the hardest of my strong accent markers to break. Till this day, when I ask for a pen, people often ask why I need a pin. Even non Native Speakers have corrected my pronunciation.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2011, 01:38:29 AM »

Let's not forget about de-thaw.

Let's not even go all George Carlin on all the absurd ways we use the prefix pre: preheat, preboard, pretreat, etc.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2011, 08:43:11 AM »

I threatened it: Myth.

It has been used on this board too many times lately in subject headings.

Please correct your usage. You are probably looking for something like fallacy, misconception, falsehood, misunderstanding, or the like.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2011, 10:54:39 PM »

If you are thinking about using the word methodology, consider dropping the ology. You will probably be better off.

Another way of fancying up language to make things sound more important than they are.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2011, 11:07:22 PM »

Decimate.

Oh, and African-American as a classification for race.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2011, 12:01:09 AM »

Decimate.

I love the look on black people's faces (more than white people) when I tell them I'm African American.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2011, 12:09:20 AM »

Ect.

I don't think I've ever outright said this to you.

I love you.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2011, 01:54:45 AM »

Decimate.

I love the look on black people's faces (more than white people) when I tell them I'm African American.
ROFL!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2011, 03:16:45 AM »

Has anyone read The Joy of Lex? One of my favorite books.

I especially like the definition of "fornicate". PM me and I'll tell you what it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Lex-Amazing-Amusing-Words/dp/1861053991

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2011, 03:26:00 AM »

Decimate.

Yes, so funny.

Anyone of Egyptian descent who is an America could likewise claim that they are African-American.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2011, 04:23:15 AM »

I hope this is not too off topic, but I thought I'd share this gem from the book I mentioned earlier, The Joy of Lex.

An actual 1959 book review of "Lady Chatterly's Lover" from the magazine Field and Stream:

"Although written many years ago, "Lady Chatterly's Lover" has just been reissued by the Gove Press, and this pictorial account of the day-by-day life of an English gamekeeper is full of considerable interest to outdoor-minded readers as it contains many passages on pheasant-raising, the apprehending of poachers, ways to control vermin, and other chores and duties of the professional gamekeeper.

Unfortunately one is obliged to wade through many pages of extraneous material in order to discover and savor these sidelights on the management of a Midland shooting estate, and in this reviewer's opinion the book cannot take the place of J. Miller's Practical Gamekeeping."

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2011, 06:48:19 AM »

A favorite of mine, and one that appears with great frequency on the two fora at which I post (here and ByzCath) ... Cannon for Canon.

While we may hurl anathemas based on the Canons, we rarely need to use Cannons to do so.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2011, 10:12:41 AM »

"Define irony.  Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash."

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2011, 10:15:36 AM »

A favorite of mine, and one that appears with great frequency on the two fora at which I post (here and ByzCath) ... Cannon for Canon.

While we may hurl anathemas based on the Canons, we rarely need to use Cannons to do so.

Many years,

Neil

LOL! Nice one.  Smiley

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2011, 01:02:30 PM »

Ect.

I don't think I've ever outright said this to you.

I love you.

The Christmas Marigold came early this year!

And from such a dapper man!

I hate seeing posts where my weird lingering typing malfunction was in overdrive.

In any case, back at you buddy.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2012, 11:27:40 PM »

Dave: Considering that you've been caught plagiarizing three times in the last two weeks, I'm afraid I will have to take this latest claim with a grain of salt.
Bob: Ad hominem! Ad hominem! You can't answer my question so you attack me personally!

you stupid fool

this brings up a theological issue that is quite the sexy scenario

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2012, 07:09:39 PM »

First principles

Seen recently on this board.

Another that sticks in the crawl.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:10:14 PM by orthonorm » Logged