OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:31:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That begs the question: What is irony?  (Read 7753 times) Average Rating: 0
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2011, 11:43:43 PM »

I would be inclined to say that many political and social terms have loss true meaning due to their overuse (especially as a pejorative). I am talking those "loaded" words such as Fascist, Nazi, Communist, Racist, Anti-Semite, Sexist, etc. These words are typically used more or less to draw attention and/or offend people. Rarely do I see them applied accurately in a given situation.

In fact, George Orwell spoke on this very abuse of words :
Quote from: Eric Blair
"It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else."

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2011, 11:50:19 PM »

Irregardless.

I had a room-mate who constantly used that one, so much so that I found it popping out of my mouth (and keyboard) if I wasn't paying attention.  Took me months to get rid of the habit after getting rid of the room-mate.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2011, 11:58:43 PM »

I would be inclined to say that many political and social terms have loss true meaning due to their overuse (especially as a pejorative). I am talking those "loaded" words such as Fascist, Nazi, Communist, Racist, Anti-Semite, Sexist, etc. These words are typically used more or less to draw attention and/or offend people. Rarely do I see them applied accurately in a given situation.

Very good introduction of a whole category. Apparently the common understanding of Fascist is: "Stuff you do not like."  My favorite may be the combination or interchangeability of certain terms like Fascist/Communist as if anything ending in ist that you don't like is essentially the same irregardless.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 12:07:27 AM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2011, 12:19:35 AM »

Irregardless.

I had a room-mate who constantly used that one, so much so that I found it popping out of my mouth (and keyboard) if I wasn't paying attention.  Took me months to get rid of the habit after getting rid of the room-mate.

I think some people think adding an extra syllable, and thereby lengthening the word, makes them sound more intelligent. News channel talking heads use it fairly regularly. Apparently defenders of good English have been battling this dumb word since at least the early 20th century.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2011, 12:30:10 AM »

"Let me ax you a question..."

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2011, 12:31:37 AM »

"Let me ax you a question..."

We can't go down the pronunciation path . . . We'll be here forever

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2011, 01:11:05 AM »

We can't go down the pronunciation path . . . We'll be here forever

It's pronounciation for the purposes of this thread.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2011, 12:38:57 PM »

Question:  What is irony?
Answer:  Ferrish?

OK it has been a day and I have no idea what you getting at here. I humbly ask you clarify.

It was a bad joke...it take a while to decipher it, I suppose.  I simply took "irony" to mean something like "metalish"...that is like a metal, or like an iron....hence the "ferrish"

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2011, 12:48:12 PM »

OK it has been a day and I have no idea what you getting at here. I humbly ask you clarify.

It was a bad joke...it take a while to decipher it, I suppose.  I simply took "irony" to mean something like "metalish"...that is like a metal, or like an iron....hence the "ferrish"

Don't quit your day job . . .

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2011, 12:54:57 PM »

I shouldn't of posted in this thread, but for all intensive purposes, I could care less.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2011, 12:58:29 PM »

did anyone with a physics or chemistry background get it?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2011, 01:14:41 PM »

My background is in Romance languages, so I recognized the fer- root. I actually thought it quite clever  Grin.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2011, 01:26:24 PM »

My background is in Romance languages, so I recognized the fer- root. I actually thought it quite clever  Grin.
Grin

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2011, 01:36:23 PM »

Languages and chemistry. Thought you might be trying some with "ferrous", but thought there might a pop culture reference I wasn't getting.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »

Languages and chemistry. Thought you might be trying some with "ferrous", but thought there might a pop culture reference I wasn't getting.

Nope...you should have went with your gut feeling....it's that straight forward  angel

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2011, 04:49:25 PM »

I shouldn't of posted in this thread, but for all intensive purposes, I could care less.

In Christ,
Andrew
I thought my little post here was brilliant. Can anyone tell what three mistakes are there? Wink

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2011, 04:56:21 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew
I thought my little post here was brilliant. Can anyone tell what three mistakes are there? Wink

In Christ,
Andrew

of should be have, "could care less" should be "could be careless" and your name is not Andrew?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2011, 04:58:04 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

In Christ,
Andrew

of should be have, "could care less" should be "could be careless" and your name is not Andrew?

Third one is intensive, not sure about your second one...

EDIT--EDITED to edit something
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 04:58:44 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2011, 05:01:18 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

In Christ,
Andrew

"Of" instead of "have", "intents and purposes".  I don't know if you could, should, or couldn't care less, but props on avoiding one of my favorite pet peeves: saying "careless" as opposed to "care less" when talking about how little you could care.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2011, 05:04:07 PM »

Bingo! I get so peeved when I hear people say "I could care less!" Because they obviously mean they could not care less.  Tongue

Oh and my name is Andrew. Smiley Anyone have any others?

In Christ,
Andrew

Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2011, 05:04:30 PM »

I got it and thought that it was rather funny.  

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2011, 05:06:44 PM »

Bingo! I get so peeved when I hear people say "I could care less!" Because they obviously mean they could not care less.  Tongue

In Christ,
Andrew

Your whole post was quite ferrish  Tongue

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2011, 05:09:46 PM »

I personally believe that neither me or you can misunderestimate some of are recent new users.

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2011, 05:11:51 PM »

I personally believe that neither me or you can misunderestimate some of are recent new users.

I think my brain just exploded.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »

That's unpossible!

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2011, 05:25:45 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew
Yes, my name is Jim  Smiley.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2011, 05:26:49 PM »

Cheesy

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »

That's unpossible!

Ahh, hopefully taken from another category: Pop culture/internet vernacular.  "Trickeration" would be an example. 

I didn't get your ferrish joke, but that's my fault; I need my sciences to be spongy. 

Another:  Calvary substituted for Cavalry, or vice versa.  Come to think of it, visah versa bugs me a bit too.  Grin

ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »

I've heard several people lately say, "We were just conversating."  By which, I assume they mean they were having a conversation.

But my all time most despised is when people use "you and I" when it should be "you and me" and think that they are so wise and intelligent.  Example:  "just between you and I" and "she told it to you and I"  For some reason some cannot grasp the difference between the subjective and objective cases! 
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2011, 08:19:46 PM »

I've heard several people lately say, "We were just conversating."  By which, I assume they mean they were having a conversation.
Or conversing.
But my all time most despised is when people use "you and I" when it should be "you and me" and think that they are so wise and intelligent.  Example:  "just between you and I" and "she told it to you and I"  For some reason some cannot grasp the difference between the subjective and objective cases! 

I definately <--- see the "you and I" thing on internet forums.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »

That's unpossible!

Ahh, hopefully taken from another category: Pop culture/internet vernacular.  "Trickeration" would be an example. 

I didn't get your ferrish joke, but that's my fault; I need my sciences to be spongy. 

Another:  Calvary substituted for Cavalry, or vice versa.  Come to think of it, visah versa bugs me a bit too.  Grin

You guessed correctly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iSD9lPVY6Q

Now what about this one:  "Refutiate"....now now, don't cheat and search online for this one...

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2011, 03:15:01 AM »

I was waiting for a post like this to begin ranting about the "rules" taught in grammers which have no bearing on English but came out of the desire for English to speak Latin.

Not saying your example is one, but it does ring close. I'll learn y'all more later.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2011, 04:26:10 PM »

I think my brain just exploded.

That's unpossible!

The conundrum for you people is, who you can turn too too understand (e.g. overstand) what exactly it is I’m trying too say too you. Or did I loose you again? You could of followed me if: you had just took you’re time. 

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2011, 04:28:35 AM »

OK. Even after explaining this one, this word keeps popping up here: myth.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2011, 01:37:55 PM »

This is truly snotty, but I cannot take anyone seriously when they type: "I should of got the paper this morning."

Should HAVE!

SHOULD HAVE!

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2011, 01:43:13 PM »

This is truly snotty, but I cannot take anyone seriously when they type: "I should of got the paper this morning."

Should HAVE!

SHOULD HAVE!

Ain't snotty.

But really they should be typing should've or shudda depending where they are typing and how close they are trying to get across their vernacular.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2011, 01:53:27 PM »

I've noticed that in some early modern English literature that double negatives are very frequent, so much so that I wonder if the rule against them is a bit arbitrary.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2011, 02:10:19 PM »

I'm surprised no one in this thread has brought up the use of "literal".

"The cars were literally flying past me!"
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »

I've noticed that in some early modern English literature that double negatives are very frequent, so much so that I wonder if the rule against them is a bit arbitrary.

Comes from the Latinzation of the language when the grammar books were developed for mass education.

In Germanic languages, double, triple, quadruple negation has been a way of emphasizing the negation (as I understand Slavic languages do this as well), but they too have suffered under the "negation rule."

The English I grew up speaking the and the German I spoke day to day, multiple negation was done frequently too clearly make a point of emphasis.

"Ain't no way no one would never do nothing like that."

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 02:14:32 PM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2011, 02:13:59 PM »

My joke I have nowadays is my use of "figuratively:

Last night I *figuratively* went to the store and some milk.

Rly, I much more of a laugh riot in person.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2011, 03:23:13 PM »

Surprised as well. Good call!

My joke I have nowadays is my use of "figuratively:

Similarly, I try to throw a "theoretically" onto the end of things for no other reason than hijinks. 

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2011, 07:17:23 PM »

I've also heard people say "disconcerning." Haaate.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2011, 01:54:59 AM »

In lieu of disconcerting or to mean lack of concern?

Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2011, 06:05:15 AM »

EDIT--EDITED to edit something

Ha! Well done!

This here thread has done began to take on a life of it's own.

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2011, 05:52:06 PM »

In lieu of disconcerting or to mean lack of concern?

The former.

--
--
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: