OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 10, 2014, 02:17:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Original Sin  (Read 624 times) Average Rating: 0
peteprint
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: February 02, 2011, 12:28:14 AM »

Hello,

This is my first posting on the Oriental Orthodox Discussion Forum.  I always assumed that the OO did not accept the concept of Original Sin, and held a position similar to that held by the EO.

I was reading a book by Fr. Tadros Y. Malaty, "Saint Mary In The Orthodox Concept" which states the following:

"The Orthodox Church, whose love towards St. Mary is deep-rooted, considers her more holy than all the heavenly creatures, whilst a natural member of the human race. We do not however, set her apart from the human race by assuming that she was born without original sin, as if she was born not of human seed."

Father Tadros is a priest of the Coptic Church.

Can anyone from an OO jurisdiction elaborate on this?  Thank you.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:39:03 PM »

The standard story that we do not believe in "original sin", is quite a dangerous and misleading statement when it is not at all qualified. Both of our traditions do indeed believe in the Adamic curse and its inheritance by his descendants which constituted a breach of communion with God and a spiritual death. What we do not accept it simply a small modification of the doctrine by the West which adds on the concept of a moral or spiritual "stain" and an implication in Adam's sin, and thus a "hereditary guilt". Everything else regarding the doctrine we accept. Usually when Eastern sources refer to "original sin" in the affirmative they are simply referring to this Eastern doctrine of the Adamic curse.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »

Thank you deusveritasest for the reply and information.
Severian
I love making people who hate me hate me even more
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 02:00:03 AM »

Hello,

This is my first posting on the Oriental Orthodox Discussion Forum.  I always assumed that the OO did not accept the concept of Original Sin, and held a position similar to that held by the EO.

I was reading a book by Fr. Tadros Y. Malaty, "Saint Mary In The Orthodox Concept" which states the following:

"The Orthodox Church, whose love towards St. Mary is deep-rooted, considers her more holy than all the heavenly creatures, whilst a natural member of the human race. We do not however, set her apart from the human race by assuming that she was born without original sin, as if she was born not of human seed."

Don't worry Father Tadros Yacoub Malaty doesn't believe in 'original sin' in the Augistianian sense. He makes this clear in his book Man and Redemption.

"Life s**ks and then you die" -my personal motto

Please pray for Christians in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, occupied Palestine, Ethiopia, Eritrea, & Serbian Kosovo.

"I don’t do the good things I want to do. I keep on doing the evil things I don’t want to do." -Rom. 7:19

www.syrianperspective.com
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 02:03:17 AM »

Thank you Severian!
Severian
I love making people who hate me hate me even more
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 02:11:15 AM »

Thank you Severian!
No problem  Smiley

"Life s**ks and then you die" -my personal motto

Please pray for Christians in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, occupied Palestine, Ethiopia, Eritrea, & Serbian Kosovo.

"I don’t do the good things I want to do. I keep on doing the evil things I don’t want to do." -Rom. 7:19

www.syrianperspective.com
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 09:44:51 AM »

Hello,

Don't worry Father Tadros Yacoub Malaty doesn't believe in 'original sin' in the Augistianian sense. He makes this clear in his book Man and Redemption.

Its ancestral sin instead??
mikeyseky

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 12:50:58 AM »

[/quote]

Its ancestral sin instead??
[/quote]

yes   
Tags: Original Sin 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print