OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 04:53:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ice Church in Romania  (Read 1178 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« on: February 01, 2011, 11:52:26 AM »

Here is one for Augustin!  http://www.happynews.com/news/1272011/priests-bless-romania-ice-church.htm
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 01:27:36 PM »

This reports says that the Orthodox did not participate in it.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Dimitrios-Georgios

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Saints Dimitrios and Georgios

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 01:35:15 PM »

My first thought was about the melting of this church, that will happen inevitably. The faces in those icons will all start to melt. To me, it looks seriously blasphemous.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:39:29 PM »

Quite silly  . But it was a German's idea. I do not know wether the priests are Greek-Catholic or Orthodox, though.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:48:45 PM by augustin717 » Logged
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 02:54:59 PM »

Quite silly  . But it was a German's idea. I do not know wether the priests are Greek-Catholic or Orthodox, though.

I agree that it is silly, the one priest wore a type of  'hat' that led me to believe he was Greek Catholic though.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 04:59:37 PM »

Definitely Greek Catholic.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 06:35:31 PM »

How do you know?
It is impossible to tell, plus in the area there are not that many Greek-Catholics (Balea- Lac).
Paisius
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 11:25:53 PM »

How do you know?
It is impossible to tell, plus in the area there are not that many Greek-Catholics (Balea- Lac).

It looks like one of the priests on the left is wearing a biretta. Those certainly are not Orthodox vestments.

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 02:06:09 AM »

Well the crucifix at the center stage seems to make me believe it was a catholic undertaking...
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 06:17:43 PM »

How do you know?
It looks like one of the priests on the left is wearing a biretta. Those certainly are not Orthodox vestments.
Correct, this is a latin-rite RC priest
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 06:19:59 PM »

My first thought was about the melting of this church, that will happen inevitably. The faces in those icons will all start to melt. To me, it looks seriously blasphemous.

Blasphemy is a serious charge of a sin unto death.   I believe you are misusing it here.   
Dimitrios-Georgios

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Saints Dimitrios and Georgios

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 04:05:11 AM »

Blasphemy is a serious charge of a sin unto death.   I believe you are misusing it here.   
So, if I take a black marker and paint the face of a saint, isn't it blasphemous, as I'm destroying the icon? If you make an icon that you know will be corrupted soon, because of heat, isn't it blasphemous right from the start?
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 05:13:23 AM »

A principle of iconography is that an icon is made of materials which are not ephemeral, i.e. not unstable or unduly fragile or delicate. Ice is an inherently unstable material, unless maintained at a suitable temperature.

There is also the matter of prayer and fasting, both before an icon begins to be painted, and during the painting process. Any information on whether the ice sculptors complied with this requirement?  Wink
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 07:46:30 AM »

A principle of iconography is that an icon is made of materials which are not ephemeral, i.e. not unstable or unduly fragile or delicate. Ice is an inherently unstable material, unless maintained at a suitable temperature.

There is also the matter of prayer and fasting, both before an icon begins to be painted, and during the painting process. Any information on whether the ice sculptors complied with this requirement?  Wink

Apparently this was not an Orthodox project, so how it was carried out really shouldn't concern us.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 09:09:43 AM »

Let's not be so serious about this. Don't let it worry you. For sure, unlike many of our issues, it is just going to melt away. I thought it was a 'novelty' story and didn't even post it under news.
CCTE

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian Patriarchate

Patriarch Daniel

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 01:35:35 PM »

Hello
I do not think that those priests are orthodox. 2 years ago, when this building was constructed for the first time, the Metropolitan of Ardeal, IPS Laurentiu, has forbidden the implication of the orthodox priests in this project. The ,,church" was not consacrated by an orthodox priest and the priests are not allowed to  minister there. He said that a church must be for forever, not for melting.

http://www.crestinortodox.ro/stiri/jurnalul-national/mitropolitul-ardealului-permite-oficierea-slujbelor-biserica-gheata-75696.html

The consacracion of a church can be done only by a bishop, not a priest (at least in the Romanian Orthodox Church).

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:36:07 PM by CCTE » Logged

Sorry if my English is not perfect
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 01:56:27 PM »

I just have to ask, "Why?"

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 02:02:19 PM »

I just have to ask, "Why?"
Is that the philosopher in you?  Wink  laugh

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
dylanthomos

Faith: Faith
Jurisdiction: Faith

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 06:03:18 AM »

Situated at an altitude of 2,034 meters in the Fagaras Mountains (Sibiu County), the ice service is made of astronomic chunks of ice extracted from Balea Lake, reports Agerpres word message. The layer of the religion is of 100 sqm and it faculty score the content to invited an figure of 40 to 50 visitors.
Prior to the building's authoritative porta, a aggroup of priests of different religions gift hold an open-air operate, with the function of the Christly solemnisation of the Epiphany (commemorated on January 6). Asvina the previous geezerhood, this circumstance module consist in the "blessing" of the business materials, as fine as the otherwise ice buildings in the expanse - the Ice Hotel and the Chalet.
If withstand conditions are not extremum, the ice service present be waiting by the end of the period, in the position where deceive has reached a elevation of 82 centimeters. This is the fifth ice religion constructed in the atlantic, the prime one having been erected in the 2006-2007 period. Reservations for wedding know already been made at the service, as a Country distich is thinking on a affair in Mar to pretend their vows.
As a shaper of inspiration, the ice antiquity holds a service from Malancrav, the community from Sibiu where Majuscule Britain's Prince Physicist has a residence.
In ordination to tug the Ice Hotel, one would love to aim to Balea Cascada and from there, screw the conductor car to Balea Lac.

Suspected duplicate account

Commercial links removed - MK
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 09:22:48 AM »

Situated at an altitude of 2,034 meters in the Fagaras Mountains (Sibiu County), the ice service is made of astronomic chunks of ice extracted from Balea Lake, reports Agerpres word message. The layer of the religion is of 100 sqm and it faculty score the content to invited an figure of 40 to 50 visitors.
Prior to the building's authoritative porta, a aggroup of priests of different religions gift hold an open-air operate, with the function of the Christly solemnisation of the Epiphany (commemorated on January 6). Asvina the previous geezerhood, this circumstance module consist in the "blessing" of the business materials, as fine as the otherwise ice buildings in the expanse - the Ice Hotel and the Chalet.
If withstand conditions are not extremum, the ice service present be waiting by the end of the period, in the position where deceive has reached a elevation of 82 centimeters. This is the fifth ice religion constructed in the atlantic, the prime one having been erected in the 2006-2007 period. Reservations for wedding know already been made at the service, as a Country distich is thinking on a affair in Mar to pretend their vows.
As a shaper of inspiration, the ice antiquity holds a service from Malancrav, the community from Sibiu where Majuscule Britain's Prince Physicist has a residence.
In ordination to tug the Ice Hotel, one would love to aim to Balea Cascada and from there, screw the conductor car to Balea Lac.

Google translator?Huh
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 06:05:25 PM »

if u post it in romanian, there are some here who can translate it a bit better  Wink
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: