OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 09:40:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did God create so many galaxies, stars, and such?  (Read 9622 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: February 01, 2011, 04:47:42 AM »

Was that just part of the "natural selection" used or should I saw the "laws" which inevitably created these other galaxies? What purpose do they have?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:04:37 AM »

What purpose do they have?

To remind us of the reality of who we are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnFMrNdj1yY

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 05:14:33 AM »

So it's more of a humbling factor?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 05:27:07 AM »

Its more of a generosity factor on God's part. God didn't "need" to create anything. Yet in His Infinite Love, God not only shared existence, but shared it abundantly. One Angel wasn't enough, God created Nine Orders of them!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Ambrose of Milan

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:58:49 AM »

What if God made everything for us, the whole of the cosmos. When we die to this corrupted body and are glorified in the resurrection we will no longer be limited by space and time, bodily needs like food and air. Then we will be able to truly experience the splendor of God's creation, the depths and the heavens, for ourselves.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 10:04:17 AM »

Its more of a generosity factor on God's part. God didn't "need" to create anything. Yet in His Infinite Love, God not only shared existence, but shared it abundantly. One Angel wasn't enough, God created Nine Orders of them!

Good point!

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 03:14:40 PM »

A wise movie character once said, "If it is just us, it would be an awful waste of space."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 03:35:55 PM »

We (humans) are not the only reality of value in the material realm.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 03:53:07 PM »

So that you could more easily glorify Him.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 05:35:56 PM »

Why did the artist grass and clouds to his photos when the centerpiece was a woman sitting on a bench?

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 06:48:02 PM »

Was that just part of the "natural selection" used or should I saw the "laws" which inevitably created these other galaxies? What purpose do they have?

This is a question I also think about. I find the vastness of the Universe kind of scary in a way. It is so immense compared to our World and our lives that it can diminish our sense of worth.

Here is my latest idea Smiley. I have more and more come to think that there is no other advanced life in our Universe. Aliens and UFO's and the like are extra-dimensional, not beings from other planetary systems.

However, our Universe may be just one of an infinite number of Universes, which are in fact constantly being created and destroy. So that makes the vastness of physical reality even more vast to the enth degree.  

But wait..there's more. This vastness is merely relative. On the plane of existence of omniscience, it is meaningless. Once we are free from our Worldly life we are not only free of any sense of time but also freed from any sense of space. Existence is just now and just here. We should try to bring that perspective into out life now and not wait for death to realize it.

Everything just as it is,                                            
as it is,
as is.                                              
Flowers in bloom.
Nothing to add.

Robert Aitken, Roshi

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:53:55 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 07:57:24 PM »

I would encourage you to not look at things in such a utilitarian fashion. The "purpose" of something, first and foremost, especially within Orthodoxy, often has to do with beauty. And my are galaxies and stars beautiful!

I believe it was George MacDonald that referred to God as "gloriously wasteful." That's a thought that has always stuck with me. Artist's are often bold, extravagant, "wasteful" in their works, but the point is not to make something that has a "purpose" or serve a "function" rather than simply the beauty of being.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 09:15:53 PM »

To give us a glimpse of infinity with knowledge of it's existence and also to humble us by giving us a sense of aw at every step of enlightenment. With every new step of knowledge opens a new world of wonder with it. How boring a place would be if it were finite.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 09:23:51 PM »

I have more and more come to think that there is no other advanced life in our Universe. Aliens and UFO's and the like are extra-dimensional, not beings from other planetary systems.

Very interesting, with so many galaxies what makes you think that there is a less likelihood of other advanced life?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 09:31:07 PM »

Hahaha great question theo...

I would encourage you to not look at things in such a utilitarian fashion. The "purpose" of something, first and foremost, especially within Orthodoxy, often has to do with beauty. And my are galaxies and stars beautiful!

I believe it was George MacDonald that referred to God as "gloriously wasteful." That's a thought that has always stuck with me. Artist's are often bold, extravagant, "wasteful" in their works, but the point is not to make something that has a "purpose" or serve a "function" rather than simply the beauty of being.

That's a beautiful way to put it Sleeper, puts my mind to rest.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 09:45:53 PM »

Hahaha great question theo...

That's a beautiful way to put it Sleeper, puts my mind to rest.

Agreed. Very well put.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 10:43:47 PM »

A wise movie character once said, "If it is just us, it would be an awful waste of space."

"hey sparks..."
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 12:26:00 AM »

I don't know; maybe He was having a good day.
theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 10:32:18 AM »

Oops. Duplicate post.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:32:48 AM by theo philosopher » Logged

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
theo philosopher
Elder

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 10:35:01 AM »

What I meant to write (I wrote it in a hurry, oops), was this:

Why did the artist add grass and clouds to his paintings when the centerpiece was a woman sitting on a bench?

To expand on the question - the galaxies do serve a utilitarian purpose, but we must realize that sometimes things exist because God is an artist. We look to the heavens and see how vast they are and are amazed at how creative God is, but then realize that He is above all these things (not in direction, but in kind and degree); what we have yet to comprehend is easily comprehended by the incomprehensible.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 11:30:01 AM »

I have more and more come to think that there is no other advanced life in our Universe. Aliens and UFO's and the like are extra-dimensional, not beings from other planetary systems.

Very interesting, with so many galaxies what makes you think that there is a less likelihood of other advanced life?

For one thing we have combed the sky for decades looking for even the faintest trace of organized radio waves indicating  an intelligent source with absolutely nothing showing up.

Second the arrangement of factors that allow for life here on Earth is so minutely detailed that I don't think it can be replicated. The odds are astronomical against it happening twice.

And my intuitive sense is that we are alone with the exception of extra dimensional beings such as what we call Angles and Demons. I think life is created by God and advanced life is allowed on purpose and not by random chance.

I think there is just moss and bacteria and viruses on other planets and that's about it.  
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:30:44 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 11:37:03 AM »

It takes a universe to make an apple pie.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: