OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:08:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books on American Saints?  (Read 758 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: January 31, 2011, 11:01:12 PM »

I was just wondering what books are available on our saints in the Americas. Are there any that explain the lives of all these saints, as well as discuss pilgrimage sites associated with them? I've seen some books on St. John of San Francisco here and there, and one short book on St. Raphael of Brooklyn, but that is about it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:01:47 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 11:39:09 PM »

The North American Saints Activity Book (free PDF download)

It is not at the reading-level you were probably hoping for, but it is informative, nonetheless.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:41:02 PM by tuesdayschild » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 10:45:52 AM »

There was an OCA booklet that had short lives of many of them, but it's out of print. I'm not aware of a book that thoroughly covers what you're looking for, though there are many books--hagiography, biography, and history--that cover the lives of the American saints. One such is Paul Garrett's book on St. Innocent, which is now back in print by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press. There are three or four books on St. John of San Francisco. There are a few old books on St. Herman of Alaska, which may no longer be in print, except for maybe the new one by St. Herman's Press. A book on Orthodox American pilgrimages would be a worthwhile undertaking.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 04:59:27 PM »

Thre are several books on St. Herman and at least one on St. Innocent and also St. Alexis Toth of Wilkes-Barre (my hometown...nice to have our own saint...lol)

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 09:08:41 PM »

What is the name of the St. Alexis of Wilkes-Barre book?
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:51:06 PM »

Thre are several books on St. Herman and at least one on St. Innocent and also St. Alexis Toth of Wilkes-Barre (my hometown...nice to have our own saint...lol)
yes, can you please provide the information.  When i was a grad student I read an article on him published in I think Orientalia Christiana Analecta that included all sorts of quotes from Vatican documents.
Now of course I no longer have access to university libraries where I live.
I would certainly like to read the book and order it online if available.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 01:09:22 PM »

It is not at the reading-level you were probably hoping for, but it is informative, nonetheless.

Alright! I love puzzles!  Grin
Jake

Faith: Eastern orthodox

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 11:49:42 AM »

Alright! I love puzzles!  Grin
I enjoyed reading the this book.
But i wish the author would get his geographical facts straight.  Can you imagine kids trying to find the Austro-Hungarian Empire on a map in 2012.  it would be more useful to add something like "present day Slovakia" or present day Ukraine, which ever applies.
For Alexis Toth I can't blieve that his wife was not even mentioned.  She was more important than his uncle the bishop.  Al;so when he celebrated his first liturgy at St. Mary's it was still a greek catholic Church not a Russian orthodox Church.
Always better to write the truth and not confuse the kids.
Jake

Faith: Eastern orthodox

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 11:53:25 AM »

Yes, Please send us the title, I would really like to read it.  I saw in a catalogue (Light & Life) I think that his writings have been translated into English from various languages and complied in a book.
Has any one seen it for sale?
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 03:35:08 PM »

Yes, Please send us the title, I would really like to read it.  I saw in a catalogue (Light & Life) I think that his writings have been translated into English from various languages and complied in a book.
Has any one seen it for sale?
No but i would be interested in reading his writings.  Wasn't he theology professor in a seminary?  A learned man?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: