OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 03, 2014, 01:46:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone explain me this passage ?  (Read 755 times) Average Rating: 0
Arnaud

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: None for now.. not yet chrismated and not yet a catechumen in church either.. it's been years I have been catechumenizing myself so to speak.. in doing research again and again.. hopefully one day I will be chrismated in one of the Oriental Orthodox Churches.. or who knows maybe in one of the Eastern Orthodox Churches.. but right now miaphysite christology seems right to me..

God is VERY GREAT and I am very small

« on: January 31, 2011, 10:06:16 PM »

Greetings to everyone, in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, the one true God, amen.

" But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. But each one in his own order : Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming. Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. The last enemy that will be destroyed is death. "

The passage in red.

Thanks.

Selam
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:06:46 PM by Arnaud » Logged

Mo'a Ambessa ze imnegede Yehuda !
The Lion of the tribe of Judah has conquered !
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 11:10:48 PM »

What part are you confused about? Christ having reign before his enemies are all put under His feet? Or what it means for all His enemies to be put under His feet? Or something else?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Arnaud

Jurisdiction: None for now.. not yet chrismated and not yet a catechumen in church either.. it's been years I have been catechumenizing myself so to speak.. in doing research again and again.. hopefully one day I will be chrismated in one of the Oriental Orthodox Churches.. or who knows maybe in one of the Eastern Orthodox Churches.. but right now miaphysite christology seems right to me..

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:23:44 PM »

What part are you confused about? Christ having reign before his enemies are all put under His feet? Or what it means for all His enemies to be put under His feet? Or something else?

What " For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet " means.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 11:27:02 PM »

Till here doesn't mean until in the normal way we think about it, as though he will reign up to a certain point and then stop reigning. The passage does not mean that he will not reign forever. It's sort of like the passage about Mary:

"Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name Jesus" - Matt. 1:24-25

I'm not quite sure what to make of the common argument for Christianity that might be rephrased as: "Well, it's better than suicide, right?"
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 11:47:53 PM »

What " For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet " means.

"Till" in this context speaks about the situation up to that point, but does not necessarily imply a stop or change at that point.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Arnaud

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 10:13:20 AM »

Thanks for your replies.

" For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. "

I understand that since this dispensation ( between His 1st coming and His 2nd coming ) Christ began to put some enemies under His feet. Do you understand it in the same way than me ? I just try to understand the passage more profoundly ...

Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »

Thanks for your replies.

" For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. "

I understand that since this dispensation ( between His 1st coming and His 2nd coming ) Christ began to put some enemies under His feet. Do you understand it in the same way than me ? I just try to understand the passage more profoundly ...

This is most likely related to the Psalm teaching that the Messiah will sit at the right hand of God. (110:1)

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: