OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 04:38:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Priest in Russia?  (Read 1012 times) Average Rating: 0
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« on: January 31, 2011, 10:39:13 AM »

I have been inquiring for some time, and would like to take some more serious steps. This past summer, I met two priests in St. Petersburg, Russia, where I now live, who were so hyper-ecumenical that they essentially told me a Christian is a Christian is a Christian, so there was really no point in conversion. I would very much like to meet with another priest here, and discuss my situation, and my spiritual path.

Does anyone know of any holy, perhaps more conservative priests or monks in or around St. Petersburg that might be willing to meet with me, or how I might find one? My Russian is fairly strong.

Thanks,
Jim

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:22:29 PM »

I've heard of a lot of people having this issue in Russia. I can't offer any advice but may God bless you to find a good priest.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 12:43:34 PM »

Why not visit the local monasteries? There may even be podvoriyes of Optina, Valaam, and Pskov in St. Petersburg. There's also the St. Alexander Nevsky monastery.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »

This past summer, I met two priests in St. Petersburg, Russia, where I now live, who were so hyper-ecumenical that they essentially told me a Christian is a Christian is a Christian, so there was really no point in conversion.

Cry Cry Cry

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 06:54:34 PM »

Nevksy Monastery had actually come to my mind;
Etiquette-wise, is there a good way to go about finding someone to speak with?
Is there a particularly sort of person I should seek out for help once at a monastery?
Thanks!

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 06:56:11 PM »

Why not visit the local monasteries? There may even be podvoriyes of Optina, Valaam, and Pskov in St. Petersburg. There's also the St. Alexander Nevsky monastery.

Точно не знаю, что значит <<подворие>> в этом контексте?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 06:59:48 PM »

English, please. This is a moderator's request.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 07:09:30 PM »

English, please. This is a moderator's request.

Ok, quite sorry. I asked what a certain Russian word that the poster used in his recommendation meant, in Russian. His use of the word, plus the "ski" ending of his forum name and Georgian jurisdiction led me to assume he also spoke Russian. Did not realize this violated any rules! Will not repeat!
Jim

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 07:30:18 PM »

Podvorie or Metochion means something like an embassy of  one jurisdiction or a bishop or a large monastery outside their normal territory.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 07:40:21 PM »

Ah.
Would you have any idea how one goes about approaching someone at a monastery, or who to even approach? It may sound like a dumb question, but I am entirely ignorant as to actual customs with regard to dealing with clergy, and my wife, though she is baptized and now practicing Orthodox, is also unsure, it all being new to her, having been raised in the USSR.

Conservative Rebel

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 07:36:14 AM »

The best way would be to go to a monastery during the confession time, join the queue and when your turn comes, just speak to the confessing priest, ask him for advice. Only, of course, finding a good (and all the more so 'holy') father confessor is not at all easy. But God will send you one if you really need him. Pray and persevere!
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 07:52:55 AM »

Forgive me for not also updating this thread! Pretty much the day I started it, a couple weeks ago, through a friend here, I became acquainted with an amazing, holy priest at Nikolsky Morskoy Sobor, who is leading me through catechesis.
Thank you all for your help!
In Christ,
Jim

Conservative Rebel

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 09:12:40 AM »

Congratulations!
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 10:03:53 AM »

Ah.
Would you have any idea how one goes about approaching someone at a monastery, or who to even approach? It may sound like a dumb question, but I am entirely ignorant as to actual customs with regard to dealing with clergy, and my wife, though she is baptized and now practicing Orthodox, is also unsure, it all being new to her, having been raised in the USSR.
This puts a different light on your situation.  Wherever your wife is going to church, she & you should wait until after the service is finished and appraoch your parish priest.  I suggest you go to a weekday vespers service when less people are around and it is easier to speak to the priest.  have your wife speak to one of the women selling candles at the back of the church and tell the old lady she & her husband wants to speak to the priest in private.  She will then tell one of the "elders", sorry don't know what this is called in English who will personally inform the priest.  then when the service is over the elder will take you both up to the priest.
Then your wife should tell the priest that she is an orthodox beielver and that her husband is interested in joining the Orthodox Church.
That will start the ball rolling.
This is the round about way things are done.  The priest will propably contact the consistory and find an English-speaking orthodox priest to meet with you.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 10:05:22 AM »

Forgive me for not also updating this thread! Pretty much the day I started it, a couple weeks ago, through a friend here, I became acquainted with an amazing, holy priest at Nikolsky Morskoy Sobor, who is leading me through catechesis.
Thank you all for your help!
In Christ,
Jim
Good news.  Sorry, I did not read until the end.  The fact that your wife is orthodox does make a difference.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: