OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 02:22:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Essence and Energies  (Read 402 times) Average Rating: 0
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« on: January 30, 2011, 03:32:05 PM »

Very interesting article!!

http://bekkos.wordpress.com/2011/01/30/j-p-houdret-on-palamas-and-the-cappadocians/#comment-1981

Translation of: Jean-Philippe Houdret, O.C.D., “Palamas et les Cappadociens,” Istina 19 (1974), pp. 260-271.

In the course of this brief article, our aim is to bring up the vast problem of the relations that exist between the thought of Gregory Palamas and that of the Cappadocian fathers. The celebrated Byzantine theologian sought to be a faithful follower of the teaching of the saints, and the great Cappadocians are among the godbearing fathers to whom he frequently refers in his writings. This is why we prefer to limit ourselves here to the examination of a precise but fundamental question: Do we already find, among the Cappadocian fathers, the beginnings of the distinction in God between essence and energies, such as Gregory Palamas later would understand and defend it?...cont.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:59:08 AM »

Very interesting indeed. I had read the the quotes provided by Palamite apologists, but had not read them in their proper context. Thanks for sharing.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: