OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 04:42:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Not Worry About Tomorrow  (Read 580 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: January 30, 2011, 12:05:40 PM »

"Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?" - Matt. 6:26

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." - Matt. 6:34

"Sell what you have and give alms; provide yourselves money bags which do not grow old, a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches nor moth destroys." - Lk. 12:33

How do we understanding verses like these when it comes to things like saving money for retirement? Should we just "trust God to provide," or is it ok to save money and invest?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:14:12 PM »

"Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?" - Matt. 6:26

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." - Matt. 6:34

"Sell what you have and give alms; provide yourselves money bags which do not grow old, a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches nor moth destroys." - Lk. 12:33

How do we understanding verses like these when it comes to things like saving money for retirement? Should we just "trust God to provide," or is it ok to save money and invest?
Don't worry about it. Wink

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 03:45:33 PM »

Well I think that if you live in the now and you start doing things in the now (for example if you were to invest in the stock market today) you wouldn't have to worry so much about what would happen in the future (that is if you do good things in the now).

Also I think the point is that we need to take each day, day by day. So start planning the retirement today and don't worry about it tomorrow.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 01:00:47 AM »

I guess everyone else is so worried about tomorrow that they're ignoring this thread  Tongue

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 04:34:04 PM »

Either that, or we're so busy with today that the thread will take care of itself  Grin

An old Jewish saying: "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." Which is not to say "don't plan", but just don't expect your plans to always turn out as you have planned.  Is there anyone here is has not experienced that?  If so, I'd really like to meet him or her  Smiley.

An old Arab saying: "Trust in Allah, but tether the camels anyway."  

I think those pretty much say it all.

By the way, all my Jewish and Arab friends would probably advise you to save for your retirement.  My priest has said that you should do so, as far as you are able, so as not to risk becoming a burden on someone else in your old age.

JM
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 04:44:36 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »

Ok, ok, uncle!  Thank you though Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: