OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 09:23:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Calendar Saints?  (Read 599 times) Average Rating: 0
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« on: January 29, 2011, 04:02:14 PM »

Out of curiosity, have there been any saints glorified in the Orthodox Church that were part of (and preferrably raised in) a new calendar Church? Or, any potential candidates for future glorification? The Romanian Fr. Cleopa perhaps?
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »

New Martyrs/Confessors of Romania under Ceausescu?

New Confessor Valeriu Gafencu was born 3 years before the adoption of the New Calendar, that's the closest I can find.

Valeriu was born on January 24, 1921 in Vasaravia. In the autumn of 1941 he was imprisoned and sentenced to 25 years of prison. He was then a second year student of the Law and Philosophy School of Iasi. Becoming ill with TB, he was sent in December 1949 to Tirgou-Okna. There, with no medical care, he survived another two years. With many physical wounds, they would continuously discharge pus. Valeriu awaited his death with a serenity which softened the hearts of his guards and tormentors. He was a man of noetic prayer. He was made worthy by God to know the day of his death. He asked to be buried with one cross in his mouth, and another in the right hand so as to be recognized if perchance his bodied was found. He departed to heaven, this "saint of prisons" (as other inmates have called him) on 18 February 1952 and thrown in a common, as of yet unknown, tomb.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 04:23:09 PM by JLatimer » Logged

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 04:24:35 PM »

New Confessor Valeriu Gafencu was born 3 years before the adoption of the New Calendar, that's the closest I can find.

Valeriu was born on January 24, 1921 in Vasaravia. In the autumn of 1941 he was imprisoned and sentenced to 25 years of prison. He was then a second year student of the Law and Philosophy School of Iasi. Becoming ill with TB, he was sent in December 1949 to Tirgou-Okna. There, with no medical care, he survived another two years. With many physical wounds, they would continuously discharge pus. Valeriu awaited his death with a serenity which softened the hearts of his guards and tormentors. He was a man of noetic prayer. He was made worthy by God to know the day of his death. He asked to be buried with one cross in his mouth, and another in the right hand so as to be recognized if perchance his bodied was found. He departed to heaven, this "saint of prisons" (as other inmates have called him) on 18 February 1952 and thrown in a common, as of yet unknown, tomb.
None died under Ceausescu.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 04:25:43 PM »

St. Nectarios of Egina, St. Basil Martysz, St. Gregory Peradze (these two most likely but I'm not sure).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »

None died under Ceausescu.

Valeriu Gafencu certainly didn't. Do you mean no one did? You'll have to forgive me, I blurted out Ceausescu because it's a name I associate with communism in Romania. I then did some more looking and found out about Valeriu, and didn't bother to correct the discrepancy when amending the post. Additionally, I'm not very knowledgable about Romanian history.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 01:59:21 AM »

St. John of San Francisco and Shanghai, during the period he was serving in Western Europe had the French Orthodox Church (Western rite and New Calendar) under his omophorion. St. John served on the New Calendar any time he visited one of these parishes.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 03:50:54 AM »

I've never read that they are being considered for saintly recognition, but I've always thought Ecumenial Patriarch Athenagoras and GOAA Bishop Gerasimos of Abydos would be so considered some day, while I acknowledge that due to his involvement with ecumenical activities, especially with the Roman Catholic Church, +Athenagoras' recognition would be controversial, but in my opinion, that should not diminish the holiness of his life on Earth and the example of leadership he provided the church.   Ecumenical Patriarch Dimitrios' character also was quite a special example of Christian humility.  I'd imagine that the OCA will be considering two of their former archbishops of Chicago for saintly recognition someday, both Archbishop John (Garklavs) and Archbishop Job.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:24:38 AM »

I wonder whether any of those Saints were for New Calendar or just reluctantly accepting their Synod's policy while still thinking that Old Calendar would be better?

Tags: New Calendar Romania Modern saints New Martyrs 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: