OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 09:28:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traveling out of the country...  (Read 1093 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: January 29, 2011, 02:48:59 AM »

I will be out of the country (US) for 3 months and will be around Europe, mainly in Greece. This will be the first time I have ever left the country and I'm hoping to experience Orthodoxy in a whole new way...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 02:49:45 AM »

Have fun! Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 02:50:16 AM »

When do you leave?
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:51:29 AM »

Have fun! Smiley

Thank you! I'm sure gonna try... I'm not too worried, but I know members of my family are.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 02:52:17 AM »

When do you leave?

I leave on Monday, so it's imminent and I'm excited (and nervous obviously). I'm travelling with 3 other students so I'm not alone, so at least that'll be fine.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 02:59:52 AM »

I'ev only been out of the USA once probably six years ago or so. I went to Germany, France and Italy on a three week holiday trip. It was completely amazing to get out there and "see the world", and I'm sure you'll have the time of your life. May God protect you, and may you bring me back many handpainted icons from Athos!

Seriously though, remember us all at the many holy reliquaries I'm sure you'll stand before.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 03:14:08 AM »

Lord have Mercy.

Have a safe trip and study abroad and remember ... blending in with the locals helps greatly....   Wink
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 03:29:02 AM »

Prayers.....
Lord Have Mercy, Grant That The Mantle [Mantija] Of Thy Holy Mother,
The Most Blessed Theotokos , Protects All travelers , Leaving and returning....Amen Amen
 Have Great Time................. laugh

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 04:54:24 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 07:20:07 AM »

Lord, have mercy! Welcome to Europe! Smiley

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »

May the Lord watch over you and keep you safe in your travels!

Photos, photos, and more photos!   ....and remember to share them with us!

Have fun!

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »

Lord have mercy! 

Enjoy!!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 12:05:30 PM »

I will be out of the country (US) for 3 months and will be around Europe, mainly in Greece. This will be the first time I have ever left the country and I'm hoping to experience Orthodoxy in a whole new way...
God be with you.
I'm sure you'll wonder whether it's a different religion, altogether.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »

I know a Russian woman who refuses to attend any Orthodox churches in the USA because she says that it is so different from "back home".
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 05:17:30 AM »

Lord have mercy.
I will be in Greece and Turkey from early April- perhaps we can catch up!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 11:13:11 AM »

Just checking in...

I've been here for 9 days so far. It's been pretty good. Athens was pretty much what I expected, pretty secular, very busy/fast-paced, dirty, etc... But I still enjoyed it greatly. We took a boat to the island of Aegina (the same from St. Nektarios), which was absolutely wonderful and I'm sure we all could have stayed there!

An interesting thing about that trip, was that for the 5 days we'd been in Athens, I'd only seen 2 Priests, and 3 nuns. However, we happened to be on the ferry with about 5-7 clergymen, including a Bishop (though the Bishop had the same hat as the others, only with a small cross on it, his staff, and his Panagia/Engolpion)

The trip across Greece was great as well...

Unfortunately I got sick, and yesterday was miserable with a fever, bad sinus drainage (which caused vomiting), etc... However, last night my fever broke and I'm feeling much, much better.

I've been very impressed that it seems in every shop, restaurant, etc... (even the local Western Union) all have icons in them. Not only that, but walk by many stores with icons, and I've even seen one selling censers, vigil lamps (the bigger ones), etc...
Unfortunately, I've also seen the "evil eye" charm sold right next to icons...

Its also a little dissapointing to see adult material just sitting outside in kiosks that are visible to anyone passing by. Other students noticed in Athens that they were hidden away from public viewing, but in some of these smaller towns, they are very publically displayed, which in my opinion is horrible. I know this is sometimes a part of European culture, and Greece isn't an Orthodox utopia, but it kind of shocks me to find this in an Orthodox nation.

Thank you all for your prayers!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 11:45:28 AM »

God be with you.
Odd I've been to Church on three continents (four if you count Europe seperately) in dozens of countries, and it did nothing but confirm we are one Church.

Devin: have you been to Thessalonika? I haven't been for years, but it was a refreshing contrast to Athens in many ways.  If you can, do go to Constantinople (take the bus, not the train. Trust me).God be with you!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 12:01:03 PM »

I
ts also a little dissapointing to see adult material just sitting outside in kiosks that are visible to anyone passing by. Other students noticed in Athens that they were hidden away from public viewing, but in some of these smaller towns, they are very publically displayed, which in my opinion is horrible. I know this is sometimes a part of European culture, and Greece isn't an Orthodox utopia, but it kind of shocks me to find this in an Orthodox nation.
Oh, the offended Puritan (or is it conservative?)sensibilities!
Don't worry, given long enough exposure, you'll not even notice those anymore.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 12:37:11 PM »

God be with you.
Odd I've been to Church on three continents (four if you count Europe seperately) in dozens of countries, and it did nothing but confirm we are one Church.

Devin: have you been to Thessalonika? I haven't been for years, but it was a refreshing contrast to Athens in many ways.  If you can, do go to Constantinople (take the bus, not the train. Trust me).God be with you!

I think we are going to Thessaloniki in 2 weeks (including a stop at Meteora) and we will be going to Constantinople in March.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: