OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 01:04:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christianity vs Pagan/New Age dying to self.  (Read 567 times) Average Rating: 0
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: January 28, 2011, 04:35:50 PM »

I am so not sure how where to put this.  Moderator, please feel free to move to a more appropriate forum.

Christianity - especially Orthodoxy takes the cake when it comes to understanding fully the depth of dying to self, killing the will/ego. .  .
talking to other Christians from either the Protestant or RC background - there maybe be some hint of understanding somewhere that can be built on. . . but how would you (I REALLY hope that some of the Priests here will please give some very sound responses.) even attempt to broaden/correct/discuss this issue with someone who defines dying to self as . . . another perhaps washed down form of . . . narcissism? I'm finding this in Paganism and a lot of New Age thinking. . .Buddhism. . .

I seem to be surrounded lately. . .  :-/

I'm at a loss. . . and maybe that's good, because then I can't in any way take any credit for actually making sense in truth. . .only He can.  

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:37:57 PM by quietmorning » Logged
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 04:38:51 PM »

I am so not sure how where to put this.  Moderator, please feel free to move to a more appropriate forum.

Christianity - especially Orthodoxy takes the cake when it comes to understanding fully the depth of dying to self, killing the will/ego. .  .
talking to other Christians from either the Protestant or RC background - there maybe be some hint of understanding somewhere that can be built on. . . but how would you (I REALLY hope that some of the Priests here will please give some very sound responses.) even attempt to broaden/correct/discuss this issue with someone who defines dying to self as . . . another perhaps washed down form of . . . narcissism? I'm finding this in Paganism and a lot of New Age thinking. . .Buddhism. . .

Examples?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 04:48:50 PM »

I'm at a loss. . . and maybe that's good, because then I can't in any way take any credit for actually making sense in truth. . .only He can.  

How is dying to self a form a narcissism? If I'm understanding you correctly, Protestant or RC friends are having trouble with the Orthodox understanding of this because it seems vaguely Buddhist or something? - in that case, I would refer them especially to the writings of St. Paul.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 05:04:38 PM »

Examples?

I'm a little confused by it myself - so please bear with me. . . :-/
From what I understand, so far is that killing the ego or dying to self is more of dying to the . . .establishment?  Doing what you TRULY want. . . from the gut. . . the intuition. . . and NOT submitting to another person . . . because that's killing your. . .penal gland?  Blinding your third eye? 

It's very very strange. . . I'm sorry.  I'm so at a loss.   

I keep thinking that the most of the early Christians were pagan before they converted to Christianity. . .

Sigh.
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 05:10:05 PM »

How is dying to self a form a narcissism? If I'm understanding you correctly, Protestant or RC friends are having trouble with the Orthodox understanding of this because it seems vaguely Buddhist or something? - in that case, I would refer them especially to the writings of St. Paul.

From my understanding, 'self' cannot be a form of narcissism. . .but this definition that I'm hearing is so . . . different from anything I have ever heard in any Christian setting. 

It's more of a balance thing and an 'inner truth' third eye . . . see what is true, but you can't see what is true unless you do what is true for you.  . . .

so if it is true that you 'should be traveling' then leaving your child is . . .the right thing to do.  If that's what your gut says. 

Please forgive, I'm really in over my head, here.  I was blown by the description, completely.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 05:16:26 PM »

Examples?

I'm a little confused by it myself - so please bear with me. . . :-/
From what I understand, so far is that killing the ego or dying to self is more of dying to the . . .establishment?  Doing what you TRULY want. . . from the gut. . . the intuition. . . and NOT submitting to another person . . . because that's killing your. . .penal gland?  Blinding your third eye? 

It's very very strange. . . I'm sorry.  I'm so at a loss.   

I keep thinking that the most of the early Christians were pagan before they converted to Christianity. . .

Sigh.

Oh no. NOT THE PINEAL GLAND.

So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 05:22:56 PM »

If it weren't so sad, I'd laugh . . .oh what the hey. . .**hahahaha**
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 06:34:47 PM »

Can I ask what your profile means by "truly and deeply"? Is that as opposed to falsely and broadly Catholic and Apostolic?

quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 06:41:55 PM »

Can I ask what your profile means by "truly and deeply"? Is that as opposed to falsely and broadly Catholic and Apostolic?

You are more than welcome to if you are willing to do this through PM as it does not have anything to do with the subject at hand.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: