OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 05:20:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Know Your Veils  (Read 500 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 26, 2011, 08:25:15 PM »

Know your veils. The diversity is tremendous.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »

At the very least, I've always been impressed with the functionality, they never seem to fall off or down. . . Like mine always does!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 09:24:38 AM »

Know your veils. The diversity is tremendous.
The woman in the Burquini (Photo 11) is Australian. Her name is Mecca Laalaa.
Her mother invented the "Burquini".
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:25:17 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
maryofegypt

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 11:09:55 AM »

QuietMorning, I was impressed with that also (that they never seem to fall off), then I discovered how...usually they are wearing a cap-type underscarf that ties at the back of the neck, then the flowing/longer part of the hijab is pinned to that in strategic places.  No slipping!  That seems to have been the way in the past as well...when you look at a lot of the icons of women saints, there is a distinct under-covering on their heads besides the long veil on the outside.

I actually find the hijab beautiful as headcoverings go, and have ordered a few scarves from a website in Britain that sells really soft, quality scarves.  I find the covering the neck to be quite comfortable, particularly in cold weather.  It really isn't that different from the way my matushka and many other Orthodox women I've seen wear their scarves....placing a long, narrow one over the head, tying it loosely around the neck in front then wearing the ends towards the back.
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 12:14:49 AM »

QuietMorning, I was impressed with that also (that they never seem to fall off), then I discovered how...usually they are wearing a cap-type underscarf that ties at the back of the neck, then the flowing/longer part of the hijab is pinned to that in strategic places.  No slipping!  That seems to have been the way in the past as well...when you look at a lot of the icons of women saints, there is a distinct under-covering on their heads besides the long veil on the outside.

I actually find the hijab beautiful as headcoverings go, and have ordered a few scarves from a website in Britain that sells really soft, quality scarves.  I find the covering the neck to be quite comfortable, particularly in cold weather.  It really isn't that different from the way my matushka and many other Orthodox women I've seen wear their scarves....placing a long, narrow one over the head, tying it loosely around the neck in front then wearing the ends towards the back.

I tend to wear mine tied around the neck then around to the side (Grace Kelly style?) at least they don't go anywhere.  Smiley  Though I found a Nachaq Hood on the internet. . .very pretty, but I don't know if it would function much better. . .especially when I bow.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: