OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 11:31:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: meaning of the Ethiopian Coptic cross. rasta cross  (Read 13045 times) Average Rating: 0
cesar lara

« on: January 28, 2011, 06:02:49 AM »

such brothers, first of all I thank you for taking the time to answer and a plethora of blessings.
I doubt that many came to see philosophy Rastafarian brothers use the Ethiopian Coptic cross, and my question is what is the meaning of this, and I hope I can respond.
many blessings.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 08:15:52 AM »

Your question or statement is not clear to me. I will try to answer or respond if you can clarify it.

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Arnaud

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: None for now.. not yet chrismated and not yet a catechumen in church either.. it's been years I have been catechumenizing myself so to speak.. in doing research again and again.. hopefully one day I will be chrismated in one of the Oriental Orthodox Churches.. or who knows maybe in one of the Eastern Orthodox Churches.. but right now miaphysite christology seems right to me..

God is VERY GREAT and I am very small

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 10:59:31 AM »

That means their affiliation with the Lord Eyesus Kristos ( Jesus Christ ) , with Ethiopian Tewahedo Christianity. Rasta really try ( or pretend ) to follow the teachings of H.I.M Emperor Haile Selassie I and H.I.M was an Orthodox Tewahedo Christian. That's why.

Blessed.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:00:35 AM by Arnaud » Logged

Mo'a Ambessa ze imnegede Yehuda !
The Lion of the tribe of Judah has conquered !
cesar lara

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 05:22:02 PM »

Your question or statement is not clear to me. I will try to answer or respond if you can clarify it.

Selam
which is the true meaning of the cross?
bless
cesar lara

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 05:23:03 PM »

That means their affiliation with the Lord Eyesus Kristos ( Jesus Christ ) , with Ethiopian Tewahedo Christianity. Rasta really try ( or pretend ) to follow the teachings of H.I.M Emperor Haile Selassie I and H.I.M was an Orthodox Tewahedo Christian. That's why.

Blessed.
brother thank you very much, many blessings on your way!
Arnaud

Jurisdiction: None for now.. not yet chrismated and not yet a catechumen in church either.. it's been years I have been catechumenizing myself so to speak.. in doing research again and again.. hopefully one day I will be chrismated in one of the Oriental Orthodox Churches.. or who knows maybe in one of the Eastern Orthodox Churches.. but right now miaphysite christology seems right to me..

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »

bless

The Cross means the crucifixion of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. By venerating the Cross ( by kissing it or bowing in front of it ), we are glorifying the One who has been crucified on it, we are honoring His saving act. The Cross became a symbol of Christ Himself.

You're welcome and same to you.

His Majesty said : " The great common tasks accomplished by this Conference in unison bestow on the true faith and true order of the Oriental Orthodox Church the admiration of the whole world. " He also said : " Our own Church is as ancient as our faith ... " " Christianity has flourished in Our country, keeping its original features and character through the centuries. " " ... ever since her conversion to Christianity she has remained faithful, her age-old ties with the Apostolic Church uninterrupted. "

Keep strong the Orthodox faith brother ... Rasta lives.

Be blessed. Selam.

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 10:46:39 PM »

Welcome, Cesar Lara!

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 01:25:32 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Many Rastafari brothers wear the Ethiopian Cross

1) Demonstrate their affinity and connection with Ethiopia both historically and religiously,  and the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church.

2) Keep away the duppy and wicked spirit, which in the Ethiopian culture is coloqially called the "buda"

3) Be a constant reminder to ourselves to stay on point

Granted there are a million individual reasons also, but these three seem to be a common denominator amongst all the brothers and sisters in Rastafari and also myself wear it.

The Aksumite meskel I wear now in particular was a gift, so  I wear it in respect, and I also really enjoy the particular pattern and design of these meskeloch, as opposed to other varieties available. All the Ethiopians I run into at Church and around always love my meskel and compliment it, and it usually starts a nice conversation with anyone, Ethiopian or otherwise.  Students at work really like it, and people in general really like not only the uniqueness of it, but particularly that I know the history and meaning of it all and can explain it to them.  It is the most evangelical of any crosses I have ever had, it gets a lot of positive spiritual attention, and that I what I suppose it is for Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
cesar lara

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 03:57:41 AM »

bless

The Cross means the crucifixion of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. By venerating the Cross ( by kissing it or bowing in front of it ), we are glorifying the One who has been crucified on it, we are honoring His saving act. The Cross became a symbol of Christ Himself.

You're welcome and same to you.

His Majesty said : " The great common tasks accomplished by this Conference in unison bestow on the true faith and true order of the Oriental Orthodox Church the admiration of the whole world. " He also said : " Our own Church is as ancient as our faith ... " " Christianity has flourished in Our country, keeping its original features and character through the centuries. " " ... ever since her conversion to Christianity she has remained faithful, her age-old ties with the Apostolic Church uninterrupted. "

Keep strong the Orthodox faith brother ... Rasta lives.

Be blessed. Selam.

Bredda thanks for the help! respect and rasta lives and reigns in our hearts, Haile I. As it was in the beginning, is now and always will be. Selah!
a big hug brother
cesar lara

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 03:58:41 AM »

Welcome, Cesar Lara!
thanks bro!
blessings on your way
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 03:59:06 AM by cesar lara » Logged
cesar lara

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 04:07:33 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Many Rastafari brothers wear the Ethiopian Cross

1) Demonstrate their affinity and connection with Ethiopia both historically and religiously,  and the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church.

2) Keep away the duppy and wicked spirit, which in the Ethiopian culture is coloqially called the "buda"

3) Be a constant reminder to ourselves to stay on point

Granted there are a million individual reasons also, but these three seem to be a common denominator amongst all the brothers and sisters in Rastafari and also myself wear it.

The Aksumite meskel I wear now in particular was a gift, so  I wear it in respect, and I also really enjoy the particular pattern and design of these meskeloch, as opposed to other varieties available. All the Ethiopians I run into at Church and around always love my meskel and compliment it, and it usually starts a nice conversation with anyone, Ethiopian or otherwise.  Students at work really like it, and people in general really like not only the uniqueness of it, but particularly that I know the history and meaning of it all and can explain it to them.  It is the most evangelical of any crosses I have ever had, it gets a lot of positive spiritual attention, and that I what I suppose it is for Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Bredda thank you very much!
I actually buy a Coptic cross, just wanted to know its meaning so as not to feed the ignorance in a nutshell what I know.
a plethora of blessings in your life!
respect and JAHLOVE!
a hug from Mexico one love.
sorry for my English.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 04:25:46 AM »

Here is the Meskel Prayer (Prayer of the Cross) that we Ethiopian Orthodox Christians pray daily:

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
cesar lara

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 04:37:26 AM »

Here is the Meskel Prayer (Prayer of the Cross) that we Ethiopian Orthodox Christians pray daily:

Selam
yes I,
thanks brother, blessings
Arnaud

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 10:28:14 AM »

Bredda thanks for the help! respect and rasta lives and reigns in our hearts, Haile I. As it was in the beginning, is now and always will be. Selah!
a big hug brother

zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 07:17:51 PM »

What does the top of the Ethiopian Orthodox Cross (worn on the neck) mean? It looks like a crown. Here is a picture of what I mean:

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 12:55:15 AM »

a big hug brother

Arnaud, can I ask -- who is the bishop in the second picture?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tags: Ethiopian Orthodox Church Holy Cross Ethiopian Cross Coptic Cross 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: