OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 05:50:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Odd question, Has anyone else had these experiences?  (Read 876 times) Average Rating: 0
Mivac

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: January 18, 2011, 10:39:45 PM »

Has anyone else had this experience?

Has anyone else during prayer, anytime during the day, has asked for prayer of the living who were not around? I have at times during prayer have asked someone I know such as my wife who could not physically hear me or my Priest or even friends to pray for me. Many times the person or people come tell me I prayed for you or you came to mind at virtually the same time I was asking for their prayers for me. I know of others who have had simillar experiences, is their any validity in such occurrences? Do any of the Fathers speak of such events? Or am I making something out of pure chance?

I wouldn't be asking these questions but when I have said in prayer, "Jenni (my wife) pray for me" or "Father Stephen pray for me" etc. without any prompting on my part people would tell me they prayed or were thinking about me at virtually the same time.

James
fisherman
crow

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

redwood81
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:41:39 PM »

its part of the mystery of the communion of the saints

pax
myrrhbear

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Trust in God

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:09:42 PM »

There are times I have prayed for someone and when I see them next I tell them I have. Then they tell me they know I've been praying for them, that they can feel it. And they hadn't even asked me for prayers. It is quite thrilling in a way!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
soufliotiki

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »

You have asked this same question on another forum ... there was a response given that IMHO was inspired by the Holy Spirit for your benefit. I pray that you read it and understood it in your heart.

I found her post, it is a worthy read and would like to post it in quotation:

I feel ashamed to post anything before the clergymen do... but I will do so in humility.

My spiritual father would tell me not to pay attention to such things. There are many reasons why the phenomenon you are describing might happen, but it is not beneficial for us to examine them closely, because it is very easy to be led into pride or deception in this manner. For example, someone might think that he is in a high spiritual state, and that is why he can "transmit" thoughts through the air to other people. Or someone might think that God answers his prayers immediately, and that is why the others are sent a "message".

If you ignore such occurrences, you will lose nothing, but you will protect yourself from many dangers. If you pay attention to such phenomena, you could lose everything. Why take the risk?

Such occurrences, where it seems that a prayer is heard immediately, or that a message is spiritually sent to another person "through the air", can come from:

1) Demon influence. The demons play tricks on us so that we become trained to listen to them. It is very easy for the demons to give our loved ones a thought at the perfect time, so that it seems that they immediately heard our prayers.
2) God is answering our prayers.
3) Some unknown spiritual energy is able to transfer thoughts or feelings "through the air". This could be like, for example, when someone "senses" that you are looking at them, so they turn around and look back at you. (who hasn't been caught doing this? Smiley )

A bigger issue, I think, is why are you asking your loved ones to pray for you in your prayers, when you could (should) be asking them to pray for you when you're speaking with them face-to-face?

And secondly, if we are in dire need of divine aid (and who isn't?), I think it is more traditional (and much safer) to request the prayers of saints. For example, why would you say: "Jenni please pray for me!" when she isn't even near you, while you could be saying "Panagia! Please help me!" or "Saint Nectarios! Please help me!", knowing that they can see and hear you immediately? Do you doubt that the Mother of God is able to help you more than your wife or your priest?

I wrote the above with love, my friend, and not condescension, so I hope you take it that way.
May God be with you

The continued discussion in that forum was interesting and should not be dismissed since they give very sober advise that can help those who may be leaning towards prelest.

May the Theotokos protect you through her prayers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:58:06 AM by soufliotiki » Logged

Guide my heart, O Blessed Wisdom, and my tongue will also be guided ...
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 06:24:28 PM »

its part of the mystery of the communion of the saints

Amen.  There is only ONE body.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 10:09:05 PM »

You have asked this same question on another forum ... there was a response given that IMHO was inspired by the Holy Spirit for your benefit. I pray that you read it and understood it in your heart.

I feel ashamed to post anything before the clergymen do... but I will do so in humility.

My spiritual father would tell me not to pay attention to such things. There are many reasons why the phenomenon you are describing might happen, but it is not beneficial for us to examine them closely, because it is very easy to be led into pride or deception in this manner. For example, someone might think that he is in a high spiritual state, and that is why he can "transmit" thoughts through the air to other people. Or someone might think that God answers his prayers immediately, and that is why the others are sent a "message".

If you ignore such occurrences, you will lose nothing, but you will protect yourself from many dangers. If you pay attention to such phenomena, you could lose everything. Why take the risk?

Such occurrences, where it seems that a prayer is heard immediately, or that a message is spiritually sent to another person "through the air", can come from:

1) Demon influence. The demons play tricks on us so that we become trained to listen to them. It is very easy for the demons to give our loved ones a thought at the perfect time, so that it seems that they immediately heard our prayers.
3) Some unknown spiritual energy is able to transfer thoughts or feelings "through the air". This could be like, for example, when someone "senses" that you are looking at them, so they turn around and look back at you. (who hasn't been caught doing this? Smiley )

A bigger issue, I think, is why are you asking your loved ones to pray for you in your prayers, when you could (should) be asking them to pray for you when you're speaking with them face-to-face?

And secondly, if we are in dire need of divine aid (and who isn't?), I think it is more traditional (and much safer) to request the prayers of saints. For example, why would you say: "Jenni please pray for me!" when she isn't even near you, while you could be saying "Panagia! Please help me!" or "Saint Nectarios! Please help me!", knowing that they can see and hear you immediately? Do you doubt that the Mother of God is able to help you more than your wife or your priest?

I wrote the above with love, my friend, and not condescension, so I hope you take it that way.
May God be with you

The continued discussion in that forum was interesting and should not be dismissed since they give very sober advise that can help those who may be leaning towards prelest.

Thank you for copying and posting this.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Mivac

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 10:42:17 PM »

May God be with you

Yes, I did post on another forum within a short time.  I agree that one needs to be very careful and I realized that situation, but wanted confirmation of the various possible problems with such situations.  I do believe that it is possible that demonic influences could be involved, especially if the prayer is wrong headed, etc.  I do know all I can really do is look inside to see my motivation and source, see if it is of the world, coming from demons, my own fantasies, or our Lord.  I really do appreciate all the responses.  

In response to this part of a reply.

Not to be obnoxious, but I do ask for the Saints help, but the argument you presented makes me cringe. Not because it is a valid question or not, but because my protestant past would say why pray to the Saints or the Mother of God, do you doubt Jesus is able to help you more.

Do you see how doubt of the efficiency of a Saints help or their prayer is not the issue?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:49:46 PM by Mivac » Logged
soufliotiki

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 09:11:05 AM »

Hi, I personally did not post that reply to you in the other forum ... just wanted to point that out. I merely remembered the discussion ... you had GOOD answers on that forum. Generally, I find the other forum a more appropriate source for Orthodox Christianity. This site might be fun, however, it is a mixed bag of religions and dogmas without the true ability to discern through the wads of opinions.

It is still fun here, sometimes.

Guide my heart, O Blessed Wisdom, and my tongue will also be guided ...
Mivac

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 10:04:06 AM »

Hi, I personally did not post that reply to you in the other forum ... just wanted to point that out. I merely remembered the discussion ... you had GOOD answers on that forum. Generally, I find the other forum a more appropriate source for Orthodox Christianity. This site might be fun, however, it is a mixed bag of religions and dogmas without the true ability to discern through the wads of opinions.

It is still fun here, sometimes.

Yes, I received good answers on the other forum.  I apologize if it appeared that I was putting words in your mouth, that was not my intent.  I was reacting from past experiences within protestantism.  As I said, I ask so that I can look inside, see what I may have missed, checking and re-checking myself with the views of the Church.   

Thank You.
Tags: prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: