OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 02:31:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So tired of searching  (Read 4032 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »

What's up with the deification thing Orthodox Christians believe? It sounds like you believe we will become gods or something.

Theosis (deification) is the process of continually becoming by grace what God is by nature, without ever becoming God or fusing with him. By being sanctified through God's uncreated grace, we become "partakers of the divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4) and become "godlike" "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods" John 10:34.

So, it's basically referring to how we will become more Christ-like during sanctification and ultimately will be perfect when we enter eternal life?

Not exactly. Usually I have found in the West that this conception of "becoming more Christ-like" and "becoming perfect" to be exclusively moralistic. But that's not the theosis doctrine. We are rather actually talking about the ability to become like God in more than just a moralistic fashion, even to the point of sometimes mysteriously surpassing the limitations of our nature (for instance the miracle of bilocation).

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2012, 03:51:09 PM »

Then  quit searching. The truth is what it is. Nothing can change. Focus on serving God. Everything else will be revealled at the end to everyone.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2012, 03:59:17 PM »

Then  quit searching. The truth is what it is. Nothing can change. Focus on serving God. Everything else will be revealled at the end to everyone.

Around these parts, reviving a dead post is frowned upon. Just helping a brother out.  Cool

-SG+

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2012, 10:55:14 AM »

Around these parts, reviving a dead post is frowned upon. Just helping a brother out.  Cool

-SG+

Helping a brother or sister is always good.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2012, 11:09:10 AM »

-SG+

That seems to be happening a lot lately. Maybe that Serbian vampire just decided to go digital.  Cheesy

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »

If you revive a thread then someone will complain that it's wrong to bring back threads long dead. On the other hand if you make a new thread then someone will complain that we've had threads on this before and that the person should post in one of those. Maybe we should just quit talking?  Tongue
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2012, 10:54:01 PM »

Maybe we should just quit talking?  Tongue
I think there was an old thread on this topic.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2012, 01:46:11 AM »

Maybe we should just quit talking?  Tongue
I think there was an old thread on this topic.
Funny

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2012, 10:07:19 PM »

With respect to your questions on theosis and sanctification, et al, and your other siftings of this and that faith's truth claims, may I suggest another avenue of research as a way of testing those truth claims.

Find a few of the best exemplars of the faith in question from somewhere in the last two or three hundred years to the present day. Read their lives, preferably more than one account.

Then see how you answer the following questions.

1. is the faith believed by those from the earlier time the same as what that faith teaches and practices today.

2. is the life you see one that exists because of the particular faith held in common with others of the same faith, or is it incidental or in spite of that faith…insofar as you can tell?

3. Which lives seem to you most consistently a reduplication in kind of the best exemplars such as you see in the New Testament era and in the Apostolic Era?

If you know the answers to these questions, then you should have enough to tell if Lutheranism, Roman Catholocism, or Orthodoxy makes good on it's truth claims at an Apostolic level of fidelity.

Whichever faith you find produces holy ones of the same caliber as those you see in the New Testament, and have done so from their beginnings…that is the faith to follow.

That is what ultimately convinced me for Orthodoxy, not it's theology (which I found intriguing and profound), not it's antiquity (which was a point in its favor but not of itself determinative on the question of faithfulness), but rather it's saints, which it argues is the proof of the Church.  I encountered the life of St. Seraphim of Sarov and was both destroyed and made alive by it. I knew he was the type of Christian I wanted to be, and that his kind did not exist in my theological world at the time, could not, though longed for. It was clear that if I wanted any shot at being remotely the kind of Christian he was it would have to be believing and following the same same faith as he did, because nothing…no path within my present faith ever got closer than the foothills of the faith and experience of God he knew.  In months and years to come I discovered other lives very much like him all the way down to our own time, souls like Elder Porphyrios, Elder Paisios, Elder Cleopas, Mother Gavriella, St. John of Kronstadt, St. John of San Francisco and Shanghai, Fr. Arseny, St. Silouan, Elder Sophrony…blazing lives in Christ that could not be if Orthodoxy were not what it claimed to be. At least that is how I came to view their lives.  The particular path they followed put them in opposition to Rome and to various forms of Protestantism, so…if those were true, then it would not follow that such depth of faith and relationship would be fruitful at the highest levels of Christian experience. If the others were truer…then even more and greater than these should be made manifest. But alas there are but few who even make it to the foothills…insofar as I am able to judge such things.

That is my experience and my interpretation of that experience. Yours may differ…but the test I think is valid…find the best exemplars of a given faith, and follow the ones who life and faith lead to the greatest depth of transformation in Christ. Find that and you are home.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: