Author Topic: YUCK  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Ben

• Unabashedly Pro-Life
  • OC.net guru
YUCK
« on: May 01, 2004, 12:13:23 AM »
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 12:15:37 AM by Ben »
"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint

Offline Fr. David

• The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
  • Archon
Re:YUCK
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 12:29:22 AM »
Ay, Dios m+¡o....

Aside from the fact that they can't even get their Gk striaght (agape=brotherly love?!?!), this has to be the most laughable piece of revisionist history I've seen in a while...how would they explain major centers of the Christian world--centers which were overtly intolerant of homosexuality--taking on one or both of these men as their patrons??

Another question this brings to mind: are there or were there ever any folks belonging to -- I believe the organization's name is Axios... the group wants to be a home to gay Orthodox -- on this forum?  Just wondering.

Peace,

Bryan Peter
Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)

Offline Ben

• Unabashedly Pro-Life
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 12:33:54 AM »
Axios...oy I know an Orthodox Christian who is apart of that group...quite scary. I don't think anybody here is though, but I could be wrong.
"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint

Offline ExOrienteLux

• Waning: Spoilers
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 02:48:04 AM »
Uck.   Where's the vomiting smiley?

And I was having a relatively good day until I saw this...
Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!

Offline Nacho

• OC.net guru
  • The face of Corporate America
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 04:31:53 AM »
Haha........What a bunch of fruit cakes :-X :-X

I would call it "Icons for the Queer Guys"
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity

Offline Keble

• All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 08:03:43 AM »
C'mon-- the S&B stuff isn't news. You need to get out more often.

Offline Couragemember

• OC.net
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 10:23:54 PM »
In light of this sad misinterpretation, let me re-post an earlier message about what I pray is an authentically Orthodox endeavor to reach out to those who struggle with homosexual/same-sex attraction temptations:

Christ is risen!

I am an Orthodox member of Courage, a national Roman Catholic group, with chapters around the country, that seeks to support those who struggle with Same-Sex Attraction/Homosexuality, but who wish to live chastely, in obedience to Church teaching on human sexuality and family.  (My research confirms that the teachings of the official Roman Catholic hierarchy and of the Orthodox Church are essentially the same, on this particular issue.)

With the blessings of my Orthodox parish priest/confessor, the spiritual advisor of our local Courage group (a Catholic priest), and the knowledge of the national office of Courage, I am seeking to form a network of Orthodox and Eastern rite Courage members.

The goal of such a network would be to discuss this issue and our struggles in the light of Orthodox Tradition.  If enough people participate, we would also like to set up a meeting at the 2005 national Courage conference, at which our group could be addressed by one or several Orthodox priests and/or hierarchs.

If you could benefit from participation in such a group, please contact me by personal or instant message.  If you know of someone else who might benefit, please pass on this information to them, and ask them to consider contacting me through the same means, or by e-mailing me at yiostharou@h o t m a i l . com.  

Thanks for you consideration.

Offline JoeZollars

• OC.net guru
  • Pray for me an unworthy sinner
    • The Joe's Big Wide World
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 10:56:42 PM »
perhaps someone should send them a copy of hte life and Icon of St. basil of Mengazeya in Siberia.

Joe Zollars
These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.

Offline Couragemember

• OC.net
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 11:58:30 PM »
Dear Nacho,

How about let's leave off the name calling?  I disagree very strongly with their misreading of the lives of the saints, with their (mis-)understanding of homosexuality, and of human sexuality in general, but I know it is a sin to perk up my image by downgrading that of my brother.

Haha........What a bunch of fruit cakes :-X :-X

I would call it "Icons for the Queer Guys"  

Offline Couragemember

• OC.net
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 12:01:14 AM »
Joe, can you tell us a little about this saint?  Where can one find information about him?

Offline Nacho

• OC.net guru
  • The face of Corporate America
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 12:38:29 AM »
Dear Nacho,

How about let's leave off the name calling?  I disagree very strongly with their misreading of the lives of the saints, with their (mis-)understanding of homosexuality, and of human sexuality in general, but I know it is a sin to perk up my image by downgrading that of my brother.

OK.......didn't know this was going to take a turn to be so serious here....I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. I know that struggling with something like that has to be one of the hardest sins to get over & conquer. You have my sympathies.... :)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity