OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 05:36:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: please, help to explain some images  (Read 451 times) Average Rating: 0
tesla

Faith: Christian

« on: January 26, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »

Please, can anyone help me and explain what stories are depicted in these images? I can't understand
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »

Please, can anyone help me and explain what stories are depicted in these images? I can't understand

#1 appears to be an Annunciation, with Elizabeth's greeting Mary on our right. Perhaps the image was meant to depict the prayer, Ave Maria.
#2 seems to be a depiction of Genesis 1:4-5,14-18:

And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. [5] And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. [14] And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: [15] And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. [16] And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. [17] And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, [18] And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

#3 looks like Noah's ark to me. The French text says Noe.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 04:15:04 PM by JLatimer » Logged

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
tesla

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 04:11:13 PM »

thank you Smiley
I dont think that there is a Noah's ark in the third image, my first thought was the same, but in the "ship", there are too many people (figures in the first floor are not animals) and those four figures at the top windows symbolizes four apostles.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 04:17:55 PM »

thank you Smiley
I dont think that there is a Noah's ark in the third image, my first thought was the same, but in the "ship", there are too many people (figures in the first floor are not animals) and those four figures at the top windows symbolizes four apostles.

The figures are Noah and wife, and Ham, Shem, and Japheth with their wives.

You are probably right about the animals, since Noah's ark is a type of the Church.

So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
tesla

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 04:19:12 PM »

oh, now I understand everything, thank you a lot Smiley
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 04:33:17 PM »

I believe the text under the image is a version of Genesis 7:5ff

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: