OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 06:32:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Bought  (Read 524 times) Average Rating: 0
ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« on: January 24, 2011, 11:04:50 PM »

I have just bought a book called Coptic Liturgies and Hymns edited by Fr. Matthias Wahba.  Is this the liturgy book that most Coptic Churches utilize?  There are three liturgies in the book (Basil, Gregory and Cyril)--which one is used most of the time or are all used equally?  The book has English, Coptic and Arabic.  Did I get a fair deal--the book cost less than $20 with shipping and handling and is in very good condition.   
DavidI

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 12:33:52 AM »

That was definitely the most commonly used liturgy book since the Coptic Church was established in the United States, but a lot of churches are now switching to the Southern United States Diocese's book available here: http://suscopts.org/diocese/bookstore/ which includes a much more modern, correct, and elegant English translation, a larger collection of the seasonal hymns and doxologies, and a much better binding (Fr. Matthias Wahba's book unfortunately gets unbinded rather easily). I know the Southern Diocese uses this new book as their standard, and I believe most of the churches here in NJ and the tri-state area are shifting, if they haven't already done so, to this translation. I do not know what the rest of the country's churches are using but I'm sure another Copt can chime in.

The churches that utilize St. George and St. Shenouda Church's Powerpoint for the services usually use the Southern Diocese's book as the powerpoints are based on that book, and they can be found and downloaded here free: http://stshenoudajc.org/index.php/Church-Services/About-Coptic-Presentations.html The responses changed just a bit in the new translation but not so much that the old book is worthless, so you don't have to worry about your purchase, however, you may notice if you visit a lot of Coptic churches that each may have a somewhat different way of chanting the responses. Just go along with them and don't worry too much about it.

To answer your other questions, St. Basil's Liturgy is typically prayed on an annual-rite Sunday, though some priests will regularly insert some portions of St. Gregory's Liturgy during the service. St. Gregory's is typically prayed on festive occasions, while St. Cyril's is (rarely) prayed during the lenten season, as it is the longest liturgy, and unfortunately, a lot of the hymns and tunes have been lost throughout the last few centuries.

"A dog is better than I am, for he has love and he does not judge." - Abba Xanthios
ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »

Thanks so much!  Very valuable response.
peter5andre

I am a geek blogger.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 02:58:29 AM »

Thanks for sharing valuable info.
 Suspected duplicate of fronika7clarke

Commercial link removed by moderator  -PtA
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: