OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 08:50:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miracles, Divine Providence & Guardian Angel Interference  (Read 4528 times) Average Rating: 0
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« on: December 06, 2002, 12:03:28 PM »

At http://www.rocorcafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75 I am asking people to share their experiences where they have felt that Divine Providence was involved, that their Guardian angel had saved them or other miracles. So I wanted to invite all of you to come over to that thread and share any experiences of yours or ones you know of. Thanks in advance and God Bless.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2002, 01:41:08 PM »

Nick:

There is already a wonderful Orthodox Catholic website where Orthodox people are invited to share stories regarding what they perceive as miracles or God's intervention in our lives or the lives of those we love..  There are some beautiful true stories and it can be accessed at -

http://faithstories.net/

Maybe you can tie it into the website you mention.  You also have my permission to share the following two true stories if you so wish.

I have one already in there and another one I submiited that has not been posted I'd like to share  both with you since the both had a profound effrect on me..

The first is "God  Speaks In Mysterious Ways' and is a true experience I had -

This is my story and it involves the Icon of Sts Peter & Paul from Thessolonica I acquired at the GOA Clergy/Laity conference held in Philly a few years back.  [This is the email I shared with my parish priest at the time.]

The first time I laid eyes on the Icon I was, for some strange reason, drawn to it. I tried to convince myself that the Icon would be too expensive (because it is hand carved), that I already had too many Icons, that I have no place to put it, etc. and would walk away only to be brought back again a few minutes later. This happened four times. The fourth time a voice said to me..."Ask how much it is." When I did, I was shocked at the price I was given.It was about 1/3 the cost I expected it to be. So I bought it. People who have seen the Icon also can't believe how little I paid.

I brought the Icon home and put it on the wall next to the door in my living room. And that's when it started. Every time I look at the Icon I am being told (in my mind) "The Icon is not yours. It is to be blessed at St Stephens and given to the family to be presented to Sts Peter & Paul's in memory of Paul M------.” The more I would try and push the voice out of my mind the more persistent it has become.

Since I grew to love the Icon I fought the voice. But that didn't stop it. I brought the Icon to Church on Sunday to show Marge P---. While I was sitting in the hall I looked and who do I see coming down the hallway but Martha M------- Paul's wife. The voice said to me 'Show it to her and see how she reacts.' I showed it to Martha and she loved it. In fact she said to me three times, 'Can I ask you a favor and borrow it for our church some time?" The voice said to me, 'Now do you still think it's yours?" That was the point that I knew I had to give it up because it really isn't mine. And I am ready. In fact, the Icon is in the Sanctuary of the main Church now waiting for you to bless it. (Can we have a special service where you bless it separately as you do when we acquire new items for the church) with maybe
me and the M-------'s present?

I have been instinctively told by this voice exactly what I have to do and why. Every time I question something I'm being told, I am immediately given the answer. I know now I have to give up the Icon and follow the instructions I have been given. Which are -

1) The Icon is to be Blessed at St Stephen's rather Sts Peter & Paul's. The Icon is then to be presented to the family by me with the following instructions to them -

The Icon is not to hang on the wall but is to be put in an Icon case  [Kiot] so that it can be venerated by the parishioners. The Icon case is to be picked by the family BUT I AM TO PAY FOR IT (which will be explained later). The Icon case is to be very plain (no fancy scroll work) with just a Cross etched or burned (rather than mounted) on the top and on the bottom a small gold or brass plaque with just the words 'Paul M-------'. There is to be no 'In memory
of', 'donated by', 'memory eternal', etc. on the plaque. Just the name Paul M-------.

When I ask why me, I have been told its because Paul had ties to both parishes. I have been chosen to tie him into St Stephens while the family has been chosen to tie him into Sts Peter & Pauls. That is why it had to be acquired by a member of St Stephen's & has to be blessed at St Stephens and I have to give it to the family to acquire the Icon Case rather than do it all myself. Its also the reason I have to pay for the case. It is also why the family has been chosen to present it to the church.

I am also being told that the reason it is to be venerated, and the Icon case designed as such, is because when the people bow down to venerate it they will see the Icon representing the namesake of their church along with Pauls name. It is a way that Paul will always be with them to remind them that it is their parish and they are to love it, cherish it, obey it and support it. [Paul had given every spare moment he could to that parish while he was alive.  He was its backbone.]

Note: The person named Paul had passed away the previous year around the same date I acquired the Icon. I knew him but we weren't what you would call close. The man was a dedicated Orthodox Christian and was instrumental in the building of the parish I belong to (this was before I became a member). He was also instrumental in the survival of the small parish the Icon was to be turned over to. I did not know at the time, that the parish was having some difficulty in making a decision on whether remain in the building they occupied or build a new Church. The parish was split around fifty, fifty regarding this issue and there was disention becaue of it.  The parish has decided to stay where they are and things are all back to normal now.  And the Icon is in a kiot designed as requested and is on an Icon stand in a prominent place in the church.

---

The second is called 'The Bells' and is a true story about what happened the very frist time our parish rang our new Bells on the eve of Pascha -

Every once in awhile instead of arguing or defending something I like to relay a true incident that has a lasting & profound effect on me. As some of you already know, I'm very proud of the parish I belong to, it's priest, people, and the wonderful stories that come from the make up of the parish. Many I have relayed to you before. And this is another true story that involves our bells.

Our parish sits on about an acre and a half of land bordering on Pennypack Park in Northeast Philly. Next to the church is a combination Retirement and Nursing Home. Last year through the kindness and generosity of a very devout man and women in our parish we acquired seven bells that were cast and shipped from Russia. A beautiful bell tower has been constructed and we had reached our goal of having the bells ready for Pascha to announce the Resurrection of our Lord.
Prior to Christmas we had our annual Christmas bazaar which brings many of the people who live next door over. This year an older woman (a Roman Catholic) came up to our priest and some of the people and asked what time services were on Sunday because she wanted to come and pray for her departed husband. And she told them the following story -

On the eve of Orthodox Pascha she was at her dying husbands bedside in the nursing section of the home.  Which faces the entrance to our Church and the new Bell Tower. All of a sudden the bells began to ring. And he looked at his wife and said 'Listen to the beautiful bells ringing!' They were the last words he had spoken to her because he then passed away. When she realized he was gone she turned to the window to hide her grief. As she looked out she saw a priest in white & gold vestments holding a Cross, a choir singing, and about two hundred or more people holding lit candles facing a church that was all aglow! And she knew that her husband was in good hands. The Angels had come to announce the Ressurection of Christ and carry her husband home. So she wanted to come and pray for her husband in the Church whose bells called the Angels to take him home!

Orthodoc
« Last Edit: December 06, 2002, 02:06:44 PM by Orthodoc » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2002, 03:00:07 PM »

Thanks Orthodoc, the second brought a tear to my eye and both were powerful indeed. I will repost them in that thread per your permission being given.

Thanks for sharing that site's URL, as I have sent them my stories that are posted at that thread God Bless!

pasadi97
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 01:05:06 PM »

My grandparents were very strict in not etting me sleep without saying at least a prayer to protection from Guardian angel. Even if I would look for trouble with my friends , like with a candle I could not find it. Every time I was approaching the trouble , something would happen and I was taken from there.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:06:01 PM by pasadi97 » Logged
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 03:46:23 PM »

You do realize that this thread is close to 10 years old right?
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 08:48:19 PM »

You do realize that this thread is close to 10 years old right?

It is good to dig up old threads and unearth their treasures. However the original link no longer works and is now at http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75, which I assume is cool to post since it is correcting a link from and old thread where linking was allowed.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: