OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:48:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DNA Teleportation  (Read 595 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 24, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »

What's going on down there in Australia? Strange claims, I hear:

A Nobel prizewinner is reporting that DNA can be generated from its teleported "quantum imprint"

A STORM of scepticism has greeted experimental results emerging from the lab of a Nobel laureate which, if confirmed, would shake the foundations of several fields of science. "If the results are correct," says theoretical chemist Jeff Reimers of the University of Sydney, Australia, "these would be the most significant experiments performed in the past 90 years, demanding re-evaluation of the whole conceptual framework of modern chemistry."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 07:49:49 PM »

Need a subscription to read the rest. Sad Really wanted to read it though, sounds interesting. I'm in suspense.

Have to check to see if my college has access sometime...
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 07:57:21 PM »

Ok, found a free article. Really weird... first would be "How are you getting the DNA to emit its information on the electromagnetic spectrum." Seems like if you tried doing that you would just end up with "fried" DNA.

Though the ambiguity of the term right there makes it sound like complete trash. If you're actually observing this you can tell us what sort of wave it is, like infrared, microwaves, gamma rays (that would be really interesting!), visible light, etc. If you go for generic "electromagnetic waves" it sounds like you are making things up and really aren't even sure what it is your talking about.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 08:23:33 PM »

And I just noticed they supposedly used pure water in which case there's not actually the basic elements in the other test tube to make DNA out of, even if you did transmit any sort of electromagnetic code through it...

So it has to be contaminated, you can't make DNA out of water or just hydrogen and oxygen. If he's really maintaining this he has less scientific credibility than someone that has just taken high school science classes. Shocked Angry Sad
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:25:26 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
ipm

Faith: Serbian Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 02:46:20 AM »

What ever happened to Brundlefly?
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 12:14:12 PM »

I'll send the original link to my son, a biochemist  genetic research post-Doc at Penn for his take and let you know. Might be a few days or so. Do you have the free article link?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 12:52:49 PM »

This is going to make paternity that much harder to prove.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 01:02:58 PM »

This is going to make paternity that much harder to prove.

IF, a big IF, this is good science, it would throw into doubt all genetic matching evidence in criminal trials. Not a good thing IF it becomes generally accepted within the scientific community.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 01:21:48 PM »

This is probably more that you wanted to know, BTW, my son thinks the 'teleportation' theory is hooey....

'Never heard it.  PCR is an extremely sensitive assay and is often and easily contaminated by a few molecules.  The polymerase chain reaction (PCR) is used to make copies of a segment of DNA in vitro, similar to the DNA copying process that precedes cellular division.  The copy process is cycled 25-30 times which results in geometric amplification of the original molecule to generate about a billion copies, i.e., 2 to the 25th-30th power, and that is from a single molecule.  Some forensics labs require permanent closure because they cannot eliminate DNA contamination.  Furthermore, each PCR cycle requires heating the solution to 95 degrees Celsius to separate the DNA strands.  I am no physical chemist but I know the structure of water is temperature-dependent.  Hydrogen bonds are what gives water a structure.  In ice, one water molecule forms 4 hydrogen bonds with four other water molecules giving it a very regular crystal structure, in water, there are 2 to 3 hydrogen bonds between molecules, and in boiling water and steam, there are no hydrogen bonds and no structure.  This really seems like an embarrassment for all those involved.'
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 01:55:27 PM »

deleted by poster
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:56:03 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: