OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 12:46:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Episcopal Assemblies Across the World  (Read 1394 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« on: January 24, 2011, 02:31:52 AM »

While we are at it, what's a sticky thread? I've seen it mentioned before, and if it is what I think it is, maybe we can one on all the Episcopal Assemblies throughout the world? While we are at it, I would like to see the official web sites of each Episcopal Assembly link to each Autocephalous Orthodox Church and every other Episcopal Assembly in the world, to get this ball rolling.
   i. North America and Central America. ASSEMBLY OF CANONICAL ORTHODOX BISHOPS OF NORTH AND CENTRAL AMERICA
http://www.episcopalassembly.org/
    ii. South America.-ASAMBLEA EPISCOPAL DE LAS IGLESIAS ORTODOXAS DE SUDAMÉRICA/ASSEMBLÉIA EPISCOPAL DAS IGREJAS ORTODOXAS DA AMÉRICA DO SUL

iii. Australia, New Zealand and Oceania.-EPISCOPAL ASSEMBLY OF ALL ORTHODOX BISHOPS OF OCEANIA

iv. Great Britain and Ireland.-THE PAN-ORTHODOX ASSEMBLY OF BISHOPS WITH CHURCHES IN THE BRITISH ISLES

v. France.-ASSEMBLÉE DES ÉVÊQUES ORTHODOXES DE FRANCE
http://www.aeof.fr/site/226/organisation.htm
    vi. Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg.-CONFERENCE EPISCOPALE ORTHODOXE DU BENELUX/ORTHODOXE BISSCHOPPENCONFERENTIE VAN DE BENELUX

vii. Austria.- ORTHODOXE BISCHOFSKONFERENZ IN ÖSTERREICH

viii. Italy and Malta.-CONFERENZA EPISCOPALE ORTODOSSA D’ITALIA E MALTA
http://www.ortodossia.it/CONFERENZA%20EPISCOPALE.htm
    ix. Switzerland and Lichtenstein.-DIE SCHWEIZE ORTHODOXE BISCHOFSKONFERENZ

x. Germany.-ORTHODOXE BISCHOFFSKONFERENZ IN DEUTSCHLAND
http://www.obkd.de/
    xi. Scandinavian countries (except Finland).?

xii. Spain and Portugal.-ASAMBLEA EPISCOPAL ORTODOXA DE ESPAÑA Y PORTUGAL/ASSEMBLÉIA EPISCOPAL ORTODOXA DA ESPANHA E PORTUGALL

I'm not sure about the one in France, it seems that it just made its version of SCOBA into an Episcopal Aseembly.  From the site about:
The Assembly of Orthodox Bishops of France, a significant advance in the organization of the Orthodox Church in France

The most striking and significant for the future of the Orthodox Church in France has been the transformation in 1997 of the Inter-Orthodox Episcopal Bishops in an Assembly, pursuant to decisions and recommendations of committees preconciliar. This change reflected a shift toward a full college status, according to Orthodox ecclesiology and meeting the ways mentioned by the process preconciliar pan-Orthodox Without abolishing ties with the Mother Churches, or the linguistic and cultural diversity of different communities, is indeed a matter of further progress in the manifestation of the Unity of Faith and pastoral in the same area, a return on all the contribution of different traditions. This breakthrough is that the inter Episcopal constitution of the Assembly of Orthodox Bishops of France in 1997, is now fully confirmed by the meetings and decisions of the Fourth Pan Orthodox preconciliar Conference held in Geneva from near Chambésy 6 to 12 June 2009.
Emphasis added.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 02:56:43 AM »

As can be seen, there are serious lacuna:

i. China and the rest of the Far East.  Since Abp. Stylianos invited the Greek bishops of Korea and China, but not the Russians nor the Japense (autonomous under Moscow, but the Greek Archdiocese of New Zealand once claimed it), but they did not come, it seems that no EA is envisiond here, for whatever reason.

ii. The Phillippines. The Greeks have this under China, and Antioch under Australia. So right now it is falling between the cracks it seems.

iii. Southeast Asia. I know that the Russians have been working here.

iv. Southasia.  Is and should be in the jurisdiction of Antioch, but I'm not sure we have any parishes there. There are Greeks and no doubt Russians etc.

v The Middle East. Is and should be in the jurisdiction of Antioch (except for Palestine and Jordan), but since the last Ecumenical Patriarch was a parish priest in Tehran, I know that is not so.

I'd add Antarctica, but the Russians I think have a monopoly for now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Church,_Antarctica

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 06:10:58 AM »

Don't all these regions i, ii, iii and iv fall into the Episcopal Assembly of Oceania and Asia? I read the invitation from the Greek Archdiocese of Australia and it is mentioned as the Episcopal Assembly of all canonical Orthodox Bishops of Oceania and Asia.

i. China and the rest of the Far East.  Since Abp. Stylianos invited the Greek bishops of Korea and China, but not the Russians nor the Japense (autonomous under Moscow, but the Greek Archdiocese of New Zealand once claimed it), but they did not come, it seems that no EA is envisiond here, for whatever reason.

I think ROCOR Russians were represented by Bishop Agapit. As for Japan, from what I understand Ecumenical Patriarchate doesn't recognize it and now claims it through the Greek Metropolis of Korea. But at the same time if the Japanese Orthodox Church is the canonical Orthodox Church of Japan, I think there is no need for the Japanese Orthodox Church to be invited to the Episcopal Assembly of Oceania and Asia, because it is the Orthodox Church in Japan, it is not part of the diaspora. So this Episcopal Assembly should include Asia, but excluding Japan. For the same reason the Episcopal Assembly of Scandinavia excludes Finland.

iv. Southasia.  Is and should be in the jurisdiction of Antioch, but I'm not sure we have any parishes there. There are Greeks and no doubt Russians etc.

I think situation here is complicated. ROCOR Diocese of Australia has been working in Indonesia and Korea, so they are represented by Bishop Agapit. While MP Russians don't have Dioceses there, they have the leading Orthodox missions in Thailand, Vietnam, Mongolia, but there is no Bishop, no Diocese, so I wonder who should represent them to the Episcopal Assembly? At the same time the Patriarchate of Antioch does not have any presence in Southeast and South Asia.

v The Middle East. Is and should be in the jurisdiction of Antioch (except for Palestine and Jordan), but since the last Ecumenical Patriarch was a parish priest in Tehran, I know that is not so.

Does the Greek parish in Tehran still exist? I know there is a Greek Orthodox church in Tehran, but is it functioning? There is also Russian Orthodox church with a parish priest there, who also serves in Dubai and Sharjah.

Actually Bulgarians were first there.

As for the Episcopal Assembly of North and Central America, I tend to support the view of the Greek Metropolitan of Canada that Canada should be separated and the view of the Antiochian Metropolitan of Mexico and Central America that Mexico and Central America should be merged with South America.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 12:44:17 AM »

Don't all these regions i, ii, iii and iv fall into the Episcopal Assembly of Oceania and Asia? I read the invitation from the Greek Archdiocese of Australia and it is mentioned as the Episcopal Assembly of all canonical Orthodox Bishops of Oceania and Asia.
It is not in the Chambesy Documents. So either a) not everything about Chambesy is up front (shocking  Roll Eyes), or Abp. Stylianos or his boss took it upon himself to include it.
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,33170.0.html

I think ROCOR Russians were represented by Bishop Agapit.

Of Stuttgart. As such, he represented ROCOR's vacant see in Australia, if I'm not mistaken since the First Hiearch is still serving as locum tenens for his old see.

As for Japan, from what I understand Ecumenical Patriarchate doesn't recognize it and now claims it through the Greek Metropolis of Korea.
According to the public Chambesy documents OzGeorge posted
that shouldn't matter.  Abp. Daniel of Tokyo and Metropolitan of All Japan is "in canonical communion with all of the most holy Orthodox Churches," and should have been invite. Unless someone has an agenda, in which recognition by the Phanar is determinative.

But at the same time if the Japanese Orthodox Church is the canonical Orthodox Church of Japan, I think there is no need for the Japanese Orthodox Church to be invited to the Episcopal Assembly of Oceania and Asia, because it is the Orthodox Church in Japan, it is not part of the diaspora.
Then the Phanar shouldn't be laying any claim to Japan through Korea, and should stop disputing its autonomous status and canonical jurisdiction over all Japan.
So this Episcopal Assembly should include Asia, but excluding Japan. For the same reason the Episcopal Assembly of Scandinavia excludes Finland.
Finland places itself under the Phanar, which I have a suspicion is why that is a special case.  Japan should be recognized like Finland is.

I think situation here is complicated. ROCOR Diocese of Australia has been working in Indonesia and Korea, so they are represented by Bishop Agapit. While MP Russians don't have Dioceses there, they have the leading Orthodox missions in Thailand, Vietnam, Mongolia, but there is no Bishop, no Diocese, so I wonder who should represent them to the Episcopal Assembly? At the same time the Patriarchate of Antioch does not have any presence in Southeast and South Asia.

Whoever the priests are commemorating (and if you are not commemorating an Orthodox bishop, you are not "in canonical communion with all of the most holy Orthodox Churches," and don't count anyway.  At least not yet.

Does the Greek parish in Tehran still exist? I know there is a Greek Orthodox church in Tehran, but is it functioning? There is also Russian Orthodox church with a parish priest there, who also serves in Dubai and Sharjah.

It was functioning in 2002, at least having a congregation to greet EP Bartholomew.
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-49477317.html

Supposedly the Russians have a bishop there
http://www.imamreza.net/eng/imamreza.php?id=6059

Oh? How's that?

As for the Episcopal Assembly of North and Central America, I tend to support the view of the Greek Metropolitan of Canada that Canada should be separated and the view of the Antiochian Metropolitan of Mexico and Central America that Mexico and Central America should be merged with South America.
I understand that part of why that didn't happen was the effort of the SA Chairman trying to exclude Bp. Alejo, Exarch of the OCA in Mexico. He was left off the list at first (and the other Central Americans, not to underline that fact), but he came anyway and the discrepancy was noted right away, then corrected.  That Met. Soterios didn't show has less to do with the rectitude of Canada's rights but his tenacity in the ethnarch model, which clashes with Abp. Demotrios' evangelistic and Orthodox mindset.

ag_vn
Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 05:03:14 AM »

that shouldn't matter.  Abp. Daniel of Tokyo and Metropolitan of All Japan is "in canonical communion with all of the most holy Orthodox Churches," and should have been invite. Unless someone has an agenda, in which recognition by the Phanar is determinative.

Well, I still think Japan and Finland shouldn't be part of any Episcopal Assembly.

Whoever the priests are commemorating (and if you are not commemorating an Orthodox bishop, you are not "in canonical communion with all of the most holy Orthodox Churches," and don't count anyway.  At least not yet.

I guess they commemorate the Patriarch directly.

It was functioning in 2002, at least having a congregation to greet EP Bartholomew.

I see, thanks.

Well he is not a Bishop. Their priest there and in the UAE is Hegumen Alexander Zarkeshev.

Oh? How's that?

The Bulgarian Orthodox chapel of St. John of Rila was consecrated in 2003, while the Russian church in 2004.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 06:26:47 AM »

Well, I still think Japan and Finland shouldn't be part of any Episcopal Assembly.

I agree. But then I recognize the full and exclusive jurisdiction of both Abp. Daniel and Abp. Leo, but the Phanar does not.  If is a question of jurisdiction being disputed, there are other places which would find themselves in "Diaspora," like Estonia and Northern Greece.

I guess they commemorate the Patriarch directly.[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't seem to complete that. What I meant to say was that whatever bishop is being commemorated (and any other Orthodox have to te commeorating some Orthodox bishop) that bishop should be on the Assembly.

I see, thanks.

Well he is not a Bishop. Their priest there and in the UAE is Hegumen Alexander Zarkeshev.

The source I had gotten that from was non-Orthodox, hence why I said "supposedly," as I can see how they would make mistakes and Orthodox wouldn't, or shouldn't.

Oh? How's that?

The Bulgarian Orthodox chapel of St. John of Rila was consecrated in 2003, while the Russian church in 2004.
How did the Bulgarians get down there?

ag_vn
Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 07:21:57 AM »

Sorry, I didn't seem to complete that. What I meant to say was that whatever bishop is being commemorated (and any other Orthodox have to te commeorating some Orthodox bishop) that bishop should be on the Assembly.

I just found that the Moscow Patriarchate has a bishop who is responsible for such foreign parishes, Archbishop Mark of Egorievsk - http://www.patriarchia.ru/db/text/38920.html. So it is possible that these parishes commemorate him.

Oh? How's that?

They have a scientific base St. Clement of Ohrid (St. Kliment Ohridski) on Livingston island. Both the Bulgarian chapel and Russian church are on the South Shetland Islands.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 07:37:51 AM »

I just found that the Moscow Patriarchate has a bishop who is responsible for such foreign parishes, Archbishop Mark of Egorievsk - http://www.patriarchia.ru/db/text/38920.html. So it is possible that these parishes commemorate him.
then he would be on the EA for the Middle East, if such a thing existed. (the canonical jurisdiction is Antioch, but that is not observed).

Oh? How's that?

They have a scientific base St. Clement of Ohrid (St. Kliment Ohridski) on Livingston island. Both the Bulgarian chapel and Russian church are on the South Shetland Islands.
now that you mention it, I do recall that.

ag_vn
Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 10:03:26 AM »

then he would be on the EA for the Middle East, if such a thing existed. (the canonical jurisdiction is Antioch, but that is not observed).

Well I think it is not observed in Qatar only. The Russian parish in the UAE was established with the assent of Patriarch Ignatius.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 11:58:01 AM »

Well I think it is not observed in Qatar only. The Russian parish in the UAE was established with the assent of Patriarch Ignatius.
LOL. We aren't worried about the Russians. Thanks to Russia, Antioch is free. And I've not known any problems with the Russians in Alexandria nor Jerusalem either.

No, it's not observed elsewhere. But not disregarded AFAIK by the RUssians.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »

While we are at it, what's a sticky thread? I've seen it mentioned before, and if it is what I think it is, maybe we can one on all the Episcopal Assemblies throughout the world? While we are at it, I would like to see the official web sites of each Episcopal Assembly link to each Autocephalous Orthodox Church and every other Episcopal Assembly in the world, to get this ball rolling.
http://www.assemblyofbishops.org/about/other-assemblies

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »

I'm pretty sure I've seen relations from the Benelux and Switzerland Assemblies.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags: Episcopal Assembly 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: