OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 01:35:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Im new and I have been quiet  (Read 2131 times) Average Rating: 0
Kaya IsesaJah

Faith: Christian Rastafari
Jurisdiction: New York USA

« on: February 02, 2011, 08:08:21 AM »

I just wanted to say greetings. I find this site very helpful although I may not overstand all of the topics, I am interested to learn more about Orthodox Christianity and specifically the EOTC. I am going to visit an Arabic Orthodox Church soon. It is very close to my home and I know some of the congregants, but the church is not finished being built, so I do not know when it will be ready, hopefully soon. If I respond to any thread here please know that I am new and don't have any experience with Orthodox Christianity except what I may learn here for now. I will let you all know when I have attended the Church. Respect to All
Sis Kaya IsesaJah
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 08:54:18 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 08:57:46 AM »

Greetings Kaya!

You might find the below links of interest, as they describe the journey of another Rasta into Orthodoxy.

http://www.roadtoemmaus.net/back_issue_articles/RTE_27/Songs_of_Freedom.pdf

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/illuminedheart/from_rastafari_to_orthodoxy
Kaya IsesaJah

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:13:27 PM »

Hi and thanks for Welcoming me. I will read the info from the sites, but I am a Fulfilled Rastafari so I am familiar with the fact that HIM Haile Selassie is not God nor Christ. I am exploring Orthodoxy because I was studying with Protestants initially. Need to get familiar with Orthodox Christians and the differences found when compared to the Protestant teachings. OK, I will ask things as soon as I understand a bit more. God Bless!!
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:33:09 PM »

Welcome!   Smiley

Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:56:16 AM »

Welcome!

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 02:58:57 AM »

GREEEEETINGS SISTREN!!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 03:14:38 AM »

I just wanted to say greetings. I find this site very helpful although I may not overstand all of the topics, I am interested to learn more about Orthodox Christianity and specifically the EOTC. I am going to visit an Arabic Orthodox Church soon. It is very close to my home and I know some of the congregants, but the church is not finished being built, so I do not know when it will be ready, hopefully soon. If I respond to any thread here please know that I am new and don't have any experience with Orthodox Christianity except what I may learn here for now. I will let you all know when I have attended the Church. Respect to All
Sis Kaya IsesaJah

I see you used the word "Overstand". Man, I haven't heard that term in years. Back in college I use to bump heads with the followers of Dr. Malachi Z York, and they used that term all the time.

I think the 5%ers might use the term as well. I never knew Rastafarians used it.

But welcome to the forum!

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 03:29:18 AM »

Sis Kaya will be a welcome addition to this forum. She has been doing tremendous work for many years in proclaiming the true Christian teachings of Emperor Haile Selassie amongst fellow Rastas. Because of her labors, many Rastafarians have renounced the idolatry of Selassie worship and have come to faith in Eyesus Kristos. Sis Kaya has been assailed and attacked on many levels, but she is a true Christian Rasta Lioness who stands firmly and lovingly in the Truth of the Saviour. She has a deep knowledge of the Holy Bible, and she has a very loving and compassionate spirit. Sis Kaya has been a great encouragement to me over the years. I am encouraged by her respect for and interest in the Orthodox Church, and I hope and pray that the members of this forum will be of great assistance and upliftment as she seeks more knowledge about the ancient Apostolic Faith.

Welcome once again Sistren!

Selam
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:29:58 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 03:58:39 AM »

Welcome to the forum!
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 03:44:18 PM »

Welcome to the forum Kaya Smiley

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 03:48:18 PM »

Welcome, welcome Smiley

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 03:56:29 PM »

Sis Kaya IsesaJah

I see you used the word "Overstand". Man, I haven't heard that term in years. Back in college I use to bump heads with the followers of Dr. Malachi Z York, and they used that term all the time.

I think the 5%ers might use the term as well. I never knew Rastafarians used it.

I assumed it to be a language issue and nothing to do with 5%ers. I would like to know as well if this is used by Rastafarians.

Never much trouble with the typical bean pie and bow-tie crowd, but the 5%ers weren't to be bumped heads with.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »

first google hit on "overstand rastafarian"

http://rastareason.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/why-do-rastas-say-overstand-2/

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 05:24:56 PM »

Sis Kaya IsesaJah

I assumed it to be a language issue and nothing to do with 5%ers. I would like to know as well if this is used by Rastafarians.

Never much trouble with the typical bean pie and bow-tie crowd, but the 5%ers weren't to be bumped heads with.

Yes I! "Overstand" has always been part of Rasta word-sound. Rastas place great emphasis on the power of words, and thus Rasta speech is always focused on the postive. For example, a Rastaman never says "dedicate," instead it is "livicate." It is never "con-tinually" but instead "I-tinually." Rasta doesn't deal with death and cons. Rastas will also say "over-stand" rather than "under-stand." The language of Rastas is very significant. Rastas are very meticulous with their words so as to always focus on the positive and always be forward moving in their thought and speech.

Selam

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 06:23:56 PM »

Sis Kaya IsesaJah

Yes I! "Overstand" has always been part of Rasta word-sound. Rastas place great emphasis on the power of words, and thus Rasta speech is always focused on the postive. For example, a Rastaman never says "dedicate," instead it is "livicate." It is never "con-tinually" but instead "I-tinually." Rasta doesn't deal with death and cons. Rastas will also say "over-stand" rather than "under-stand." The language of Rastas is very significant. Rastas are very meticulous with their words so as to always focus on the positive and always be forward moving in their thought and speech.

Selam

You do realize though that those examples are not precision in language but rather ignorance?

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 09:17:19 PM »

Sis Kaya IsesaJah

Selam

So who were the first to use terms like that? I know the 5% Nation of gods and earths talk that way. And I know Dr. Malachi Z York and his group (Nuwabic, Holy Tabernacle Ministries...or something like that) also talk that way. He probably picked it up from either the Rastas or the 5%ers.

Does the Nation of Islam talk that way as well? I can't remember, but that's where the 5% nation of gods and earths came from.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:24:14 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 09:29:13 PM »

Sis Kaya IsesaJah

Selam

You do realize though that those examples are not precision in language but rather ignorance?

Language is always in a state of flux. It is always changing, evolving, devolving......etc. And so it doesn't really matter. There are alot of different sub-cultures in America with their own slang or way of speaking.

Until America and Great Britain decide to come together and make English uniform, then I don't think anyone has a right to judge in regards to precision vs ignorance. You might be able to say that in regards to standard American English, but America and Great Britain need to come together or form some sort of English regulation board. That way, they will be able to control and stabilize the English language for future generations.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:34:22 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 09:37:52 PM »

Sis Kaya IsesaJah

Selam

Language is always in a state of flux. It is always changing, evolving, devolving......etc. And so it doesn't really matter. There are alot of different sub-cultures in America with their own slang or way of speaking.

Until America and Great Britain decide to come together and make English uniform, then I don't think anyone has a right to judge in regards to precision vs ignorance.

I agree with you in spirit, but the examples in the post are inarguably marginal neologisms by self proclaimed conscious (or is that iscious) users of language.

Are the Persons of the Trinity Ioverstantial?

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 09:41:26 PM »

Looks like more wood for the Irony thread fire!

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 09:45:28 PM »

Cheesy

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 09:51:21 PM »

Sis Kaya IsesaJah

Selam

Until America and Great Britain decide to come together and make English uniform, then I don't think anyone has a right to judge in regards to precision vs ignorance.

I agree with you in spirit, but the examples in the post are inarguably marginal neologisms by self proclaimed conscious (or is that iscious) users of language.

I don't know. But I think you are trying to make fun of their language and how they talk. That's not something I am willing to do. One must have a certain level of respect for other groups.........even if you do disagree with them.

Kaya IsesaJah,

Please forgive orthonorm for being disrespectful. Everyone on this board isn't that way, and please forgive me if I said anything that was distasteful as well.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:56:54 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 09:58:51 PM »

Orthonorm,

If you don't like someone's way of speaking, that is your privilege.  I'm going to ask, however, that you refrain from being insulting.  I would hate to think you were trying to troll the OO board.

Salpy
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:59:17 PM by Salpy » Logged

Kaya IsesaJah

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 11:44:54 PM »

Greetings again....well, thank you all for the welcome (even yours Orthonorm)  Cheesy..I am glad to see so many on the board! I am sure that I will learn here!!
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 12:17:56 AM »

So do I get to say I am sorry with a I didn't mean to offend or is that addressing moderating comments?

I'll take the chance:

I am sorry if you found offense. I did not mean to be insulting. My snarky streak runs deep and I tend to argue in general and not toward the individual.

My apologies to all.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 12:26:31 AM »

So do I get to say I am sorry with a I didn't mean to offend or is that addressing moderating comments?

I'll take the chance:

I am sorry if you found offense. I did not mean to be insulting. My snarky streak runs deep and I tend to argue in general and not toward the individual.

My apologies to all.

We are all sinners, but the road of repentance begins with acknowledging our wrongs and apologizing to those whom we may have offended. I respect you for being big enough to offer your sincere apology.

Selam
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:27:08 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 12:41:13 AM »

I'll take the chance:

My apologies to all.

We are all sinners, but the road of repentance begins with acknowledging our wrongs and apologizing to those whom we may have offended. I respect you for being big enough to offer your sincere apology.

Selam

I know you are one of the more generous folks here (IME) and I truly didn't mean to "mock" you. I do have the streak for better and more often worse of not taking or meaning sarcastic comments personally.

In hindsight, it was just frivolous foolishness.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 12:51:48 AM »

That's very nice, Orthonorm.   Smiley   Thank you.

Kaya IsesaJah

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 01:40:47 AM »

Wink Thanks to Orthonorm- apology is accepted, but please don't worry about it, lol, you should see what others on the Rastafarian forums have done to me Shocked!!! Thank you ALL again...I am looking throughout the forum just to get a feel for it and perhaps get a little informed before I actually get to go to the Orthodox Church near to me. Just by browsing around, I see I have a lot to learn!!
Leo I Magnus

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2011, 04:08:33 AM »

I just wanted to say greetings also .
I am interested to learn more about Oriental Orthodox Christianity and Histroy of Orthodox people in North Africa.

I am from Republic of Srpska, Balcan, Europe
Kaya IsesaJah

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2011, 07:25:09 AM »

Greetings Leo, I am sure someone here will be able to answer your question (obviously I can't because I am new on a lot of levels) but I wanted to welcome you!
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2011, 02:44:35 PM »

A belated welcome to the forum, Kaya IsesaJah!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2011, 01:14:17 AM »

I am interested to learn more about Oriental Orthodox Christianity and Histroy of Orthodox people in North Africa.

Welcome, Leo.   Smiley

Kaya IsesaJah

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2011, 09:44:32 AM »

A belated welcome to the forum, Kaya IsesaJah!

Thank You So Much CoptoGeek!
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2011, 12:43:04 PM »

Welcome Leo...

I will say though, not all of North Africa is/was OO in history.  There is a Theodorean (Mopsuestian) and Latin history of North Africa as well.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Arnaud

Jurisdiction: None for now.. not yet chrismated and not yet a catechumen in church either.. it's been years I have been catechumenizing myself so to speak.. in doing research again and again.. hopefully one day I will be chrismated in one of the Oriental Orthodox Churches.. or who knows maybe in one of the Eastern Orthodox Churches.. but right now miaphysite christology seems right to me..

God is VERY GREAT and I am very small

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2011, 02:09:07 PM »

Welcome sis Ises, happy to see your presence here. Also welcome to you Leo.

Mo'a Ambessa ze imnegede Yehuda !
The Lion of the tribe of Judah has conquered !
Kaya IsesaJah

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2011, 01:33:47 AM »

Give Thanks for the Welcome...reading, reading, and more reading..."NUFF love and More RASpect" Arnaud!!
Leo I Magnus

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »

Thanks Brothers and sisters, if you could send me some links about history of Christians in North Africa,
Middle East and Asia .. I would be very grateful ..
English and Russian ...

I have site http://orthodoxbrotherhood.com/  and would like to post information on it and translate it to Serbian .. to familiarize the Serbs about... history of Christians in North Africa, Middle East and Asia

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: