OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 02:19:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do EOs recognize OO orders?  (Read 654 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: January 21, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »

I don't know if this is the right place, so mods feel free to move as needed.

I saw a thread asking if OOs recognize EO orders. I wanted to check the opposite. Do EOs recognize OO orders? Do Catholics recognize them-I am thinking they do.

Thank you.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 05:29:03 AM »

What do you mean by 'recognize'?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »

Are you asking whether the EO recognize a "sacramental grace" of priests and bishops in the Oriental churches much in the same way Catholics say they recognize the "validity" of EO ordinations of priests and bishops?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 03:00:57 PM »

The discussion in the OO forum is centered around the OO receiving EO priests as priests, and not "re-ordaining" them. I believe the OP is asking whether or not that is practiced by the EO.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 04:12:39 PM »

You are right, Benjamin.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »

As Metropolitan Kallistos Ware wrote accepting schismatic clergy without ordaining does not mean that their orders are seen as valid but that empty forms of their sacraments are filled up while receiving other sacraments (for example Roman Catholic baptism and chrismation are filled up with confession and Communion).

The answer would be: no, the EOC does not recognize OO orders as valid but I can imagine there are jurisdictions who would not ordain converting OO priest 'for a second time'.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 02:00:48 AM »

As Metropolitan Kallistos Ware wrote accepting schismatic clergy without ordaining does not mean that their orders are seen as valid but that empty forms of their sacraments are filled up while receiving other sacraments (for example Roman Catholic baptism and chrismation are filled up with confession and Communion).

The answer would be: no, the EOC does not recognize OO orders as valid but I can imagine there are jurisdictions who would not ordain converting OO priest 'for a second time'.

Good answer. And I think it would be the one I would like to apply for the vice-versa.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: