OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 06:23:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Cat-Proofing' an Icon Corner  (Read 1144 times) Average Rating: 0
Knytshade
Newly Illumined 1-1-11

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Midwest Diocese

Beloved Michael: my patron--I thank God for you!

« on: January 21, 2011, 10:41:31 PM »

Okay I wasn't exactly sure -where- to post this, so I hope I got the right one!

I'm working on 'attempting' to find a good spot in my home to designate as an actual, bonafide icon corner aside from what I have (which isn't much at the moment), however I am in need of some help in making sure I can make it not only beautiful, but safe for both of us.  (I also know to never leave a candle(s) burning when out of the room so that I got covered).

So I am seeking any thoughts/tips/advice from my feline-loving(owning) brothers and sisters in Christ who have had to take this into consideration when setting up your special places.

Thank you so much! :-)

"If you leave me free in my religion, I will be very eager to carry out your commands. But if you try to force me to change my faith, I will first surrender my head. I was born a Christian and a Christian I shall die."

--St. John the Russian to his Turkish master
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:32:03 AM »

Okay I wasn't exactly sure -where- to post this, so I hope I got the right one!

I'm working on 'attempting' to find a good spot in my home to designate as an actual, bonafide icon corner aside from what I have (which isn't much at the moment), however I am in need of some help in making sure I can make it not only beautiful, but safe for both of us.  (I also know to never leave a candle(s) burning when out of the room so that I got covered).

So I am seeking any thoughts/tips/advice from my feline-loving(owning) brothers and sisters in Christ who have had to take this into consideration when setting up your special places.

Thank you so much! :-)

I have not had this specific problem but when I had five kittens, I used a spray-on cat repellent to keep them out of areas with wires and other stuff. It worked pretty well but it had to be applied fairly regularly. I can't remember exactly which brands I used but there are several.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:35:56 AM »

I don't think it would be appropriate to spray an icon with chemicals. Usually we are supposed to clean them with holy water, so chemical cleaners or repellants should probably be discouraged.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 12:38:55 AM »

I don't think it would be appropriate to spray an icon with chemicals. Usually we are supposed to clean them with holy water, so chemical cleaners or repellants should probably be discouraged.

I was thinking more for the general area and not the icons themselves. I don't think a cat would be much interested in the actual icons, but the ledge where they're placed could be a tempting place to jump on and sprawl out, depending on how big the area is. Cats are foolish and irrational.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 12:42:46 AM »

I wouldn't know; I've always been a dog person.
Thankful
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 01:10:54 AM »

We have a cat and haven't had any problems with her and the icon wall/area in our house. She doesn't go in there much, but when she does she doesn't bother with the table set up in front of the icons (we leave the flame burning all the time, even when not in the room; it's an oil-based vigil lamp). Maybe the flame scares our cat?  I don't know. She's five years old.

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 01:30:55 AM »

I've never had an issue with my cats. This could be because I do not have a shelf per se, but my icons are on the wall with an oil lamp and the accoutrements for these icons are in my dresser.

My ctas love when they can see the oil lamp; they wil stare at the icons and the lamp for quite a time. Eventually they'll leave, but often only for dinner when they can her their head staff member (i.e., me!) open up a tin of cat food.  Wink

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 02:36:36 AM »

There is a thread about prayer ropes and cats somewhere that talks a little about this.
Russell

Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 02:52:43 AM »

Look into a product called Ssscat.  It uses a motion detector to put out a "spray"
I don't know what is in the spray but it is scentless and the company claims it is harmless.

My cat has left our icon table alone but it works great for our little dog and his habit of getting on the table.

Mathe 24:36
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 06:00:42 AM »

My gf has a curious little cat and I've actually been wondering what we'll do about this very subject when Father gives her the green light to set up her icon corner.  At my home, I have a 7 day votive candle that stays lighted day and night regardless of whether I'm there or not.  At her house, because of her cat, this is not an option.  I have read that aluminum foil rolled out on countertops either scares cats or creates an unpleasant feeling on their foot pads so this might be an option you could try. 

Another thing I've considered is sort of a Pavlovian experiment.  Take something large from your icon corner; preferably something that remains visible (I personally wouldn't use an Icon without your Priests' blessing).  When your cat walks by the icon corner, hold up this large item while simultaneously using a canned air sports horn.  Your cat will develop a fear for this item and, because it's on your icon corner, hopefully this will discourage him/her from jumping up on it.

Let us know what works for you.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 01:48:26 PM »

I don't have a problem with our cats as I have my icon corner in my office and only Jess is allowed in due to all the shedding our wonderful cats provide.  :-/.  But when I don't want the cats in other places - like on the dining room table, I keep a spray bottle filled with water handy and simply give them a squirt or two each time I catch them on it.  They have long ago decided that it isn't worth the effort any more.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 03:03:35 PM »

The title of this thread made me laugh. Thanks.  Cheesy

A monk once demonstrated for me how to clean mounted icon prints. He used Windex.

At my home, I have a 7 day votive candle that stays lighted day and night regardless of whether I'm there or not.
That, my friend, is a fire hazard.
myrrhbear

Jurisdiction: OCA

Trust in God

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 08:36:54 PM »

I hope your pet won't have any access to your icons. My iconography teacher told me recently that a lady's cat destroyed her icon. It was the traditional egg tempera on wood. Not only did the scent attract the cat, but the pigments are toxic if eaten!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 09:34:28 PM »

Perhaps your pet only needs to be... catechized. Wink

For awhile my spiritual father's parish met at his home, and usually their cat was respectful. When she caught mice, she often left them in front of the icon of the Theotokos. She only jumped on the altar once, and quickly learned not to do that again.

Those ditties aside, I'm also a dog person and don't know how to deal with feline ways.
Tags: icon corner 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: