OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 09:26:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Physical reactions to converting  (Read 3775 times) Average Rating: 0
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 12:40:37 AM »

There might be another reason.  I wonder if at any time in your initial investigation of Orthodoxy you became physically ill or nearly so from natural causes…say the onset of a cold or flu?

I ask because there was a time I tried spaghetti squash, and liked it, but on that same evening I came down with a stomach flu and was upchucking for hours.  Afterwards I remembered that I had liked spaghetti squash and tried to fix it again, the sight smell of it on the plate nearly sent me heaving again.  And I've regretted it to this day…I know it's a trick my mind is playing on it self by associating spaghetti squash with violent illness, but that knowledge doesn't stop that initial physical discomfort. Thankfully it has weakened over the years…I could eat the squash without ill effect if I wanted to, but there's still enough of the "disgust reaction" there to keep me from ever really wanting to unless it's to prove a point.  Then I would prove it and continue not eating spaghetti squash.

I wonder if some natural illness or a strong enough psychological shock early on has set a kind of "yuck" trigger in you…one not as bad now as it once was, but still there.
Sauron
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2012, 12:55:58 PM »

honestly, I know what you mean.  I hope the Byzantines on here don't hate me after sharing this  Undecided

well, my Church is Russian tradition.  when I go to Orthodox summer camp, they say Greek prayers and use Anthonite incense.  I get so sick, I had to go to the bathroom and throw up (I didn't recieve that day).  I don't know what it is, but my head starts to get dizzy when the greek chanting comes in, and I have to get some fresh air.  

or perhapse I'm going pentacostal and the holy spirit is making me convulse?
Trevor, are you standing with your knees locked when this happens?
useually, yes.  could that have some reason to do with me getting ill?

It cuts off blood circulation and when done for long periods of time can even cause someone to just pass out.

wow, that's good to know! thanks!

Lol. Yeah, move around a bit, Trevor. Makes a world of difference.  Wink

And, of course, I'd remind you that, they may be Greek tradition, and you may be Russian tradition, but both traditions follow variations of the Byzantine Rite, as developed at the Great Church in Constaninople!  Grin

Thank God we Antiochians have pews!  Wink Cheesy

It is true that you Antiochians (and Greeks, too, for the most part) in the States have innovated yourselves out of the asceticism of standing, but I guess we'll still accept you.  Wink

And sorry in advance for actively distracting from the OP!

Sorry to further derail, but I attend a Greek parish and while there are pews, the congregation stands for just about the entire service. The congregation only sits for the homily and for a few minutes at a later section where petitions are offered.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »

Are you saying that the Catholic Church has branwashed it's faithful ,that parting from the vatican/pope, would create  traumatic withdrawal symptoms........wow Huh

Should Holy Orthodoxy Invest in a Deprogramer......

Dear Veronika:

Faith: Traditional Catholic/SSPX?

No wonder. I agree with Wandering Sheep that you are suffering severe mental conflict.  Do you really want to become Orthodox or do you feel that you are being compelled to become Orthodox? "Bit the bullet" sounds like you are being forced, and that is never a good thing. Conversion to Orthodoxy should be a joyous occasion, not a nauseating one.

If you are having these kinds of physical symptoms, something is very wrong.

May I ask why you are considering Orthodoxy?

I've heard of Protestant converts to Catholicism having similar reactions. Some of them are programmed to hate Catholicism from such a young age that those first steps toward Catholicism can be traumatic. For a person such as the OP, who list their religious affiliation as SSPX, taking a step away from the pope could be equally traumatic. When you are taught your entire life to be Rome centered it can be difficult to break that attachment.

Stashko--Your post is inappropriate for Convert Issues. If you wish to pursue this further, please start a topic elsewhere. This is my advice as a poster as I am not the Section Moderator here.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2012, 12:10:11 PM »

Sercond Chance, why are you dredging up a post which is well over a year old, by Stashko, who has been muted in recent times?
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2012, 12:20:18 PM »

Sercond Chance, why are you dredging up a post which is well over a year old, by Stashko, who has been muted in recent times?

Sorry, I did not mean to; I just did not notice the date. I apologize to all.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
stpaulphilip

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »

A few years ago, after much study, I began attending a Greek Orthodox Church and spoke with the Priest about converting.  I went to one Catechumen class.  I then had horrible dreams and woke up sweating and very afraid.  I actually could hardly sleep.  This went on all week.  I had no feeling of peace.  This was in 2007.  It was so bad that I backed out.  Here it is 2012 and in January I converted.  Even this time around I felt fear and had a couple bad dreams.  I had been a Protestant until this time, in the Anglican Church.  Has anyone experienced this? 

Isaiah 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2012, 06:24:35 PM »

A burning in your chest is Satan trying to confuse you, a light burning in the pit of the stomach is God trying to warn you of the prescence of Satan-so I was taught by my Pentecostal relatives. I'm felt both sensations at different times in reaction to Orthodox soteriology and veneration of the saints, sometimes both in reaction to the same thing.

Does that mean anything? I have no idea.
Sauron
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2012, 06:29:53 PM »

A burning in your chest is Satan trying to confuse you, a light burning in the pit of the stomach is God trying to warn you of the prescence of Satan-so I was taught by my Pentecostal relatives. I'm felt both sensations at different times in reaction to Orthodox soteriology and veneration of the saints, sometimes both in reaction to the same thing.

A burning in the breast means that one is about to become Mormon. So, you should start planning your move to Salt Lake City.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »

A burning in the breast means that one is about to become Mormon. So, you should start planning your move to Salt Lake City.

laugh Thanks. I needed that.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2012, 07:38:28 PM »

Hmm, you are bound to feel a little stress and anxiety at the parish council meeting for sure lol, they're not always fun.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2012, 09:04:11 PM »

Strange. I felt a sense of relief like some heavy burden, both intellectual and spiritual, had been removed once I converted. Like, the true me could finally come out.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2012, 10:03:52 PM »

Strange. I felt a sense of relief like some heavy burden, both intellectual and spiritual, had been removed once I converted. Like, the true me could finally come out.

Have you been received into the church as a full member or are you still a catechumen?  Because if you haven't been received then you're not converted yet.

Isadore

Jurisdiction: Mediterranean

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2012, 02:50:01 AM »

it's probably an anxiety reaction, especially if it led to you avoiding things to feel better. sometimes a lot of positive stress can translate to the body as negative stress. actually a lot of the replies here sound like that. it's not at all uncommon...people have bad dreams/stress/sickness before something positive like a wedding or a trip and converting is many more degrees intense than that.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:52:11 AM by Isadore » Logged

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2012, 03:50:09 PM »

hmm, a burning in yr chest could be acid reflux and discomfort low in the tummy is probably constipation.
so don't spend too much effort diagnosing yrself unless you're qualified to do that!
 Wink
but it's true emotional distress can give u belly ache, as can spiritual problems.
always best to talk to an older more spiritual person or / and yr doctor if u get funny feelings that persist.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:50:20 PM by mabsoota » Logged
stpaulphilip

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2012, 04:08:33 PM »

The day I was baptized was a happy day.  I, too, felt like I could stop searching for the right church, as if there were more than one.  It was the time up until my conversion that I felt afraid and was bothered by dreams. 

Isaiah 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2012, 04:11:27 PM »

The day I was baptized was a happy day.  I, too, felt like I could stop searching for the right church, as if there were more than one.  It was the time up until my conversion that I felt afraid and was bothered by dreams. 

I hope that got better.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

spcasuncoast.org
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2012, 04:12:30 PM »

it's probably an anxiety reaction, especially if it led to you avoiding things to feel better. sometimes a lot of positive stress can translate to the body as negative stress. actually a lot of the replies here sound like that. it's not at all uncommon...people have bad dreams/stress/sickness before something positive like a wedding or a trip and converting is many more degrees intense than that.

Very true, it happens with moving, changing jobs, anything big like that.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

spcasuncoast.org
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2012, 06:27:51 AM »

Well at first in the church I had a tiny problem with the icons and what the people were doing during the divine liturgy (a hold over from protestantism to be sure) but as I've come to understand the orthodox practice and how good and true it is I have not been averse to many of hte things I might have been averse to in the past, Kissing the icon, Kissing the Gospel book, crossing oneself.

Thank you.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2012, 05:23:57 PM »

hi, nicene, and all the best for lazarus saturday. may God guide u and give u peace.
 Smiley
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2012, 10:14:31 PM »

Thank you Smiley

Thank you.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2012, 02:03:14 AM »

I had alot of unusual reactions when I was masturbating when I started my inquiry/catcehumen process. I couldn't even do my normal routine, and one day I was so disgusted by it all that I stopped it altogether. I thank Christ and the Church for helping me overcome such a horrible addiction.

Other than that, I think there were some demons pulling me down from attending Church and finally I succumbed to them for months, then finally getting the strength to get back into Church.

Accepting the Gospel is one hell of a wrestling match.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: