OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 02:18:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: baptism gift  (Read 2471 times) Average Rating: 0
irene

OC.net

« on: January 05, 2006, 04:09:01 PM »

What do people give for baptismal gifts? I'm not near an orthodox gift store.
Card and money okay?   
Thanks for any advice.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 04:13:13 PM »

Is it for an infant or adult?  I guess that would make plenty of difference...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
irene

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 05:50:55 PM »

oh, sorry! should have clarified that!  it's for an infant.
cradle east

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 06:57:06 PM »

A Guardian Angel Icon  Smiley  These are available at many sites on-line.

Not sure where you are writing from, so shipping outside the US may be an issue but other ideas would be a "Bozhi Blanket" (a white cotton blanket with poly-satin trim with an icon of Christ silk screened in gold with the words "Peace Be Unto You") and/or a baptism picture frame (inscribed with "As many as have been Baptized into Christ have put on Christ, Alleluia!") - both are available at: http://www.holoviak.com/acatalog/Holoviaks_Children_s_Gift_Items_77.html
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 07:06:33 PM »

An appropriate gift for a infant being Baptised is dependent upon what your relationship to the child is:

1) God parents traditionally provide the candle, cross, new white towel, and a set of new white clothing appropriate to the sex of the child to wear after the Baptism
2) From orthodox Friends I have seen  money, a complete clothing outfit, a picture frame to use for the Baptismal photo, a small  Baptism photo album book or memory book for the child's first year, an icon of the Lord, Theotokos or the patron Saint of the child, one very insightful teenager offered  three Saturdays of babysiting to the parents. A recent convert from the Roman Catholic Church makes a regular practice of offering a Bouquet of prayers for 30 days for the newly baptized and sends a nice card with that commitment.

Remember that the greatest gift that you can offer to a child or adult being baptised is to be present and be a witness to their Baptism.  In the days of persecution under the Turks  or the communists, this was the greatest gift one could give, in return the family of the child being baptized would give a small white ribbon  called a martyrica to those who witnessed the baptism.  With it came the promise to bear witness to church leaders if the child's membership was called into  questioned due to the destruction of church records because of persecution. The bearer of the martyrica bore witness to the church of the baptism.

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
irene

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 09:21:42 PM »

Thank you all very much for helping.   I knew you could be counted on to come through, thanks!
    Great ideas!

God Bless,
    Irene 
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 12:16:09 AM »

What about for an adult? Just curious. What might I expect?  Grin
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 02:32:46 AM »

What about for an adult? Just curious. What might I expect?  Grin

The gift I got when I was supposd to be Baptised was my parents wouldn't let me go to church for 3 years  Undecided
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 01:29:10 PM »

Well, we had that mass baptism/crismation, and amongst all of us we got a Pascha service book (because it was right before Holy week) the usual Clothing for the kids from the godparents, the local orthodox item supply lady donated all the candles and pins and such as her gift to all, the kids got some appropriate books about easter, the twins got stuffies, I mean, what wold you normally get a kid who is getting baptised?  Maybe a nice children's bible, a silver cup, the usual.  And all the godparents got together and took us and the Priest and all the familiies out to dinner afterwards, which I thought was incredibly generous and it floored my mother in law.
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 02:10:32 PM »

You could also give a small baptismal cross or baptismal matiasma...its a small blue round eye shaped pendant and symbolizes how God wards away all evil through the baptism of the child.
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 09:13:05 PM »

....or baptismal matiasma...its a small blue round eye shaped pendant and symbolizes how God wards away all evil through the baptism of the child.

Shocked  You mean one of those "evil eye" thingies?

I thought this was just a superstitious practice??  Huh
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 10:17:10 AM »

Yeah, but count how many children are wearing them the next time you go to church.
kalis

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 02:32:12 AM »

It is a good topic by this site and forum and we take the new forum and give the best replay.Pendants are another great gift idea because of their versatility. They can be given as a more casual gift, such as a dolphin or flower shaped pendant for a mother or sister. Or they can be given as a more romantic gift, such as a diamond-studded heart pendant for a girlfriend or wife. Pendants come in all shapes, sizes and designs making it easy to find just the right one for that special woman.

Link removed.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:16:22 AM by Salpy » Logged
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 03:04:12 AM »

....or baptismal matiasma...its a small blue round eye shaped pendant and symbolizes how God wards away all evil through the baptism of the child.

Shocked  You mean one of those "evil eye" thingies?

I thought this was just a superstitious practice??  Huh

Our priest has mentioned several times that it is bad to have the evil eye thingies. 

Mathe 24:36
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: