OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 09:25:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: non-denom. Christian group "Young Life"  (Read 1158 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: January 20, 2011, 03:23:01 PM »

there is a liberal and a conservative Christian group at my school.  I've been to the liberal one, and it didn't sit well with me.  there is a more structured group called "Young Life" that my (Catholic, soon to be Orthodox) Dad was in when he was in high school.  many, many of my friends are in this group.  they know that I'm (trying to be) a faithful Orthodox Christian, and have been trying to get me in there for the last year and a half.  well, I went in and spoke to the coordinators today.  they thought it was "awesome" that I was an Orthodox Christian, and they suprisingly knew what that was.  they told me that they really need a few experienced Christians in the group, who know their way around the Bible.  they told me that they would love me to join, and I could help the newbie Christians get to know the Bible. 

they really want me to be in this group, and it sounds like a great thing.  would this be OK, though? would this be classified as "ecuminism"?  if in any way it seems un-Orthodox, please let me know!!! 

thanks!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 05:02:53 PM »

You should talk to your priest about this. It can be a great opportunity to share your faith with others and present an accurate understanding of how the Bible has always been understood. At the same time, it can be a great opportunity to either misrepresent the Orthodox faith, or become convinced that the Church has failed to maintain correct doctrine.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:18:43 PM »

Awesome! Now you can have a Bible study where you can discuss about biblical doctrines such as infallability of the Church or veneration of All-Holy Mother of God. Let's see how welcome you are after that. angel
myrrhbear

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Trust in God

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 07:50:27 PM »

I was in Young Life in my high school years and loved it. I was not Orthodox then (and wouldn't have know what they were) and wonder what I would've thought if I heard something about them in my youth! Since they are eager to have you, you can be a great witness!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:18:49 PM »

Or are they eager to have you so they can "witness" to you? hmm...

Proverbs 22:7
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 04:42:29 AM »

Back when I was in highschool and still a protestant, I was in a christian club as well. I loved it. We had Roman Catholics and Mormons who joined. If we had Orthodox there I didn't know for they never said anything. There was one friend I had with the last name Abeb or Abebe. But he never told me what he was. He never spoke about his faith really.

But yeah, I had a good time. But like I said, I was a protestant back then, and I said some awful things to one of the Roman Catholics that went. I kinda feel bad about it now. If I ever see her again I will apologize. Yeah it was 15 years ago but I still feel bad about it.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 04:49:59 AM »

Or are they eager to have you so they can "witness" to you? hmm...

It comes with the territory. One must learn how to fight eventually. It's better sooner than later.

You sound like you're scared or chicken? Atheistic and Marxist teachers witness to students all the time, but no one seems to fuss about that. America is the land of Evangelism! It comes with the territory! So put your dukes up!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:53:02 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 02:56:50 PM »

I really don't get the hang up around here for some folks or reticence about being around others of different faiths: Muslim, Protestant, Atheist, or otherwise.

Is Orthodoxy in general marked by this sort of insular tendency? Is it a hold over from being primarily practiced along National or ethnic lines?

I work and live in a very diverse world. Sikhs, Muslims, Emergers, Fundies, RCs, Atheists, Hindus: you name it. The only time I see Orthodox folks is at the parish or extra-parish activities.

Interesting note, as I've mentioned, I've kept my inquiry quiet, but not secret.

My best friend is for lack of a better word is atheist. Would that I had 23% of her patience, humility, kindness, etc. Her response was been one of supportive interest.

"My Arab" (a friendly term of affection I call the fellow who runs my local convenient store, who I see daily) is Palestinian. He asked me once if I believed in God. I told him about my inquiry into Orthodoxy. His reply (paraphrased)

*Something in Arabic about Allah being praised or something or another*. I know of Orthodox. They are serious unlike other Christians. It is good to find a strong and strict relationship with God.

Just for fun I mentioned the whole Serbian thing.

He said people are people no matter what religion and do terrible things in the name of religion.

He probably likes me because he and I both think that Israel is a blight and horrible legacy of a post-colonial, Zionist mishagos.

Every Catholic who has heard me mention it, thinks it is great.

The only grief I ever hear is from Fundies. Emergers are simply interested.

EDIT: Oh yeah, most people probably in the end really don't care. I can't imagine such goings-on are much importance to those outside of internet fora.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 02:58:23 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: