OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:04:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Share your Pascaltide Recipes  (Read 2429 times) Average Rating: 0
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« on: April 30, 2004, 12:59:38 AM »

We had a lenten recipe thread earlier, I thought it would be nice to share a few meat dish recipes.  By the way, I'm looking for a good pastitsio recipe, so if anyone has one, I'd appreciate a copy.

I'll start with my favorite Indian dish, Lamb Korma.  This is a copy and pasted version I found on a british student's webpage a few years ago.  I've made this dish at least 20 times, and it is very very good.  You can also substitute beef or pork for the lamb as I often do as lamb is too expensive around here.  Also, I like to use cashews instead of almonds.

Lamb Korma

Ingredients
- 6 tbsp Water (student friendly ingredient)
- Roughly 1cm cube of fresh ginger.
- 6 cloves of garlic (more the merrier ;-)
- 2oz powdered almond. You know the stuff. i.e. not the sliced stuff!
- Lamb. Enough for two - chopped into about 1 inch cubes. No, lamb chops will not do.
- 6 cloves (count them!)
- Onion : as much as you fancy. I suggest one or two, medium chopped.
- 1tsp coriander
- 2tsp cumin
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 pint single cream
- 4 floz water (yes more of this stuff!)
- pinch of Garam Masala

1. Take the 6tbsp of water, the ginger, garlic and almond powder, put them in the food processor together and mix well until you have a paste. Ginger haters-> don't worry, you won't taste it as ginger - trust me, I can't stand the stuff normally! Nice and smooth is it? Good, then leave it and carry on.
2. "Seal" the lamb (i.e. fry it up so the outside cooks, and seals the juices inside the lumps!) in a little oil in the large casserole (doubles up as a fry pan too!). Fry until the lamb is just starting to turn a nice reddy-brown colour on the edges. Remove the lamb from the casserole/fry pan, and place it in a bowl. Do not drain the fat off the lamb chunks - let it collect in the bowl!
3. Keep the pan on the medium heat with oil still in there. Add the cloves to the oil (count them in! 1,2, a-1,2,3,4...oh how we laughed...). Add the onion immediately afterwards and brown it a little.
4. When the onions are a nice light golden-brown (texture like sun), add the ginger/garlic sauce that you whizzed up in the food processor to the pan, stir it in and cook for another minute. Now chuck in the coriander, cumin and cayenne. Don't go overboard on these - just put in level teaspoons' worth! Especially the cayenne! Stir this all up.
5. Add the sealed lamb (and the drained off juice, for flavour!) back into the mixture and stir it around coating the lamb.
6. Add a the salt, and  the half pint of single cream (maybe a dash extra for luck!), and the 4floz of water too. Stir it all together.
7. And now...*drum roll*...plop the lid on the casserole pan, and into the oven it goes, Gas Mark 4 for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Don't stir it.
8. Hey - I said don't stir it! You're so impatient!
9. Take it out of the oven, and remove the lid (duhhh!). If you are feeling health conscious, now is a good time to spoon off any pooled oil on the surface. If not (I don't care!), then don't. Now stir it all up to recoat everything properly. Sprinkle a pinch of Garam Masala on the top, and stir in. While you're stirring, you've got 6 cloves to pick out if you can find them. I usually manage at least 5 of them! Good luck...
10. Serving Suggestion: Serve with pilau rice, poppadoms and a healthy appetite.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 01:01:18 AM »

Oh, here's another recent one we tried that ended up working out well:

Puerco Pibil (Slow-Cooked Pork)
(as featured in Once Upon a Time in Mexico)

ingredients
5 T. annatto seeds (I found ground annatto seeds at a WalMart Supercenter in the Mexican section.  Mexican grocery stores are best)
2 t. cumin seeds
1 T. whole black pepper
8 whole allspice berries
1 t. cloves
2 habanero peppers (fresh not dried)
2 T. salt
8 cloves garlic
1/2 c. orange juice
1/2 c. white vinegar
5 lemons, juiced
1 shot (1 1/2 oz.) tequila (best tequila that you have, it'll make a difference)
5 lbs. pork butt
banana leaves (also at Mexican grocery store)

Instructions

Grind the dried spices (annatto, cumin, black pepper, allspice, and cloves), thoroughly (I'd use a blade-style coffee grinder, though not one that I ever intend to use for coffee again) or with a mortar and pestle.
Mince the habenero peppers, after removing the seeds .  Combine orange juice, vinegar, lemon juice, tequila, dried spices, minced habenero, salt, and garlic in a blender. Liquify.  Cut pork into 2 inch squares, place in a large ziplock bag, and fill with the marinade.  Let marinate for at least twenty minutes (overnight is fine, too)
line a 9" x 12" pan with banana leaves, pour pork & marinade in, cover with more banana leaves, cover tightly with foil.  Cook at 325 degrees F. for four hours
Serve over white or Spanish rice.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 01:05:10 AM by David » Logged

-Yazid Ibrahim
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 01:02:28 AM »

And of course I end up misspelling Paschaltide.  Sigh... Grin

-Yazid Ibrahim
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 10:03:10 AM »

I (with my mum's permission, if she gives it) will later post her pascha cheese recipe.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 12:24:15 PM »

mmm, can't wait.

-Yazid Ibrahim
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 02:25:28 PM »

Ok, on the PAIN OF DEATH no-one & I mean NO-ONE is to inform my mother that I have given this recipe out...  she will skin me alive & then... well... needless to say it would be excuricatingly painful, and I would be out of commision for at least forever, and at most 2 days... It's been dubbed the best pascha around, and if even an inept cook such as ME can do it, unless your a total Dodo, (Can dodos cook?) so can you.  
1 -+ lb farmer cheese
1 cup heavy cream
1 -+ sticks unsalted butter
3 egg yolks
1 egg white
3/8 vanilla bean
1 -Â¥ teaspoons dried orange peel
Cheese cloth & the funky little doo-hicky that makes the cheese into a pyramid... oh yeah, pascha mold their called.
1.Put the farmer cheese through a ricer or sieve into a large pot.
2.Cut up the butter into small pieces and add.
3.Beat the heavy cream until thick, add.
4.Add all remaining ingredients.
5.Mix very well, and then put on very low burner.
6.Keep mixing, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pot, until the pascha mix is hot and tiny bubbles form around the edge of the mixture.
7.Remove from stove, and place into sink filled with cold water and ice.  

Cool, mixing occasionally, and replenishing the cold water and ice.

8.Wet and wring out the cheesecloth and line the molds with it so that there will be enough to overlap over the top.
9.Spoon the mixture into the molds up to the top, and fold the cheesecloth
over the mixture.
10.Place mold into a bowl to catch the drips, and place into the refrigerator.  Lay heavy cans on top to press the extra liquid out.  

Leave on for 24 hours.

11.Pascha may be frozen.  Cover with foil and place into a plastic bag.  Remove a few hours before serving

Ok, so that's about it.
Ciao til later.
Ania

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 03:22:12 PM »

Now remember, we need to send this recipe to all our friends at Jordanville....joking, I'm joking (dodges pots and pans thrown at head by Ania). Grin

-Yazid Ibrahim
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 09:48:13 PM »

Ania,

My wife made her family's cheese pyramid this year at Pascha.  I got in a severe amount of trouble because I just said it was OK!  (I learned my lesson.........)  

It's very sweet. It's good on bread.  I like my cheese in a big block and to taste like cheddar.  (I'm no Emeril.)

Christos voskrese

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 09:50:02 PM »

Chedder is good.  Cheese Pascha(what it's called around here) is wonderful as well.  I'm also a big fan of smoked gouda and brie.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm an equal opportunity cheese enthusiast. Grin

-Yazid Ibrahim
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 09:55:16 PM »

Cheese = :cwm8:

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 10:16:20 PM »

Hey Mor,

I take it that you don't like cheese?  :smiley1:

I personally could not imagine my life without that dairy  delight!

Maybe it's cuz I live right next door to Wisconsin though...

In Christ,
Aaron

"Mmmmmm... 100 slices of American cheese....." - Homer Simpson
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2004, 12:57:37 AM »

It's harder for me to give up cheese & milk during the fasts than it is to give up meat........

Mor, I love little throwing-up man!  He's very cool!

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2004, 03:44:12 PM »

"Mmmmmm... 100 slices of American cheese....." - Homer Simpson

5 minutes later...

(in a sickly voice) "...2 slices of American cheese..." -Homer
"Homer, are you still eating cheese?" -Marge
"I think I've gone blind!" -Homer

-Yazid Ibrahim
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 10:42:44 PM »

5 minutes later...

(in a sickly voice) "...2 slices of American cheese..." -Homer
"Homer, are you still eating cheese?" -Marge
"I think I've gone blind!" -Homer

LOL

Nice to know that there is another Simpsons' fan (besides myself) on this forum.... and you like the Vigilantes of Love too - so bonus points!!

:cwm12:    :bounce:

In Christ,
Aaron
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 12:42:41 AM »

Now listening to: StrongBad

You think THAT'S a surprise...didn't know there was another Homestarrunner enthusiast on this forum!!

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2004, 01:53:57 AM »

I've been posting Homestar links intermittantly for the past year or so.  I've gotten at least Cap't Rob and Ania on the wagon. Smiley

I like Homsar quotes: "I was raised by a cup of coffee!"

-Yazid Ibrahim
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2004, 10:50:41 AM »

Yeah, David pretty much opened my eyes to Homestar... (pretty much because I would IM him from work telling him I was bored & to entertain me), and I will be eternally grateful.  I guess, Pedro, that you were not yet here when I had the Tragador aviator.  

And as for the Simpsons... If I don't get my daily dose of 2 episodes a day, or I miss a new episode, life just doesn't seem right (actually during the week I'm ok, but if I miss the new one on Sunday nights, watch out).  

Among fav Simpsons quotes:

(Joining the Movementarian Cult Episode) Chanting:
"The Leader is good, The Leader is Great, we surrender our will, as of this date."
"Na na na na na na na na na na... LEADER"

(Ransom in Brazil Episode) Lisa To Homer: Do you know that when its summer in the United States, its winter here? Homer: So does that mean everything is backwards? Crooks chase cops. You get drunk on water! Lisa: No dad! Homer: ...Snow falls upwards... Lisa: Yes Dad

(Finding out Maggie's an alien Episode) Homer: "Oh, look! Maggie's lost her baby legs..."

(The SuperSquishy Episode)<<Homer finds $$$ when searching under the couch for a peanut he dropped>> 20 Dollars? But I wanted a peanut! (Brain: 20 dollars can buy many peanuts!) Explain How! (Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services!) WOOHOO!

Barney: I don't know where you pixies came from, but I sure like your pixie juice.

(Don't remember the Episode) Homer: "To Alcohol - The cause of, and solution to - All life's problems"

And of course, who can forget the songs (yeah, I had to look a couple of these up... but then again, what else do I have to do at work?):

(Stonecutters Episode)
Who controls the British crown? Who keep the metric system down?  ...We do! We do!
Who keeps Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?  ...We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg, a star?  ...We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?  ...We do! We doooo!

(Sherry Bobbins Nanny Episode)
Sherry Bobbins: In front of a tavern, flat on his face, A boozehound named Barney is pleading his case.
Barney: Buy me a beer, Two bucks a glass, Come on, help me, I'm freezing my a** Buy me brandy, A snifter of wineGǪWho am I kidding, I'll drink turpentine
Moe: Move it ya drunk, Or I'll blast yer rear end
Barney: I found 2 bucks
Moe: Then come in my friend
Sherry Bobbins: And so let us leave, On this heart warming scene
Bart: Can I be a boozehound?
Homer:  Not 'till your fifteen

(House of Burlesque Episode) (Sorry for anyone who might be offended by the next lyricsGǪ If you think you might be offended, just stop reading now).
Homer: You can close down Moe's, Or the Kwick-E-Mart, And nobody would care...
But the heart and soul, of Springfield in, Our Maison Derri+¿re  
Belle & Dancing Girls:  We're the sauce on you steak, We're the cheese on your cake... We put the 'Spring' in Springfield, We're the lace on the nightgown, The point after touchdown
Yes We keep the 'Spring' in Springfield
We're that little extra spice, That makes existence extra nice, A giddy little thrill, At a reasonable price
Rev. Lovejoy: Our only major quarrels, With your total lack of morals
Belle & Dancing Girls: Our skimpy costumes ain't so badGǪ They seem to entertain your dadGǪ We're the gin in your martini, The clams in your linguini
We put the (BumbleBee Man: antenna spring noise) in Springfield
Wiggam, Krusty, Sinner: We remember our first visit
Mayor Quimby: There're service was exquisite
Mrs. Quimby: Why Joseph, I had no idea
Mayor Quimby: Come on now, you were working here
Grampa Simpson & Jasper: Without it, we would have no fun, Since March of 1961
Bart: To shut them down, that would be twisted
Jimbo, Dolph, and Kearney: We just heard this place existed
Dancing Girls: We're the highlights in your hairdo
Apu: The extra arms on Vishnu
Dancing Girls: So don't take the (Barney, burp)
Mob: We won't take the (SideShow Mel, slide whistle)
Everyone: So let's keep the (Moe, trash can lids as cymbals) in Springfield-

Ok, so yeah, I'm a bit of a Simpsons freak...

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2004, 11:20:37 AM »

Just a bit.

My favorite Simpsons quote consists of one line from Homer:

"I'd kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer."

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2004, 02:43:37 PM »

<- singing along to the Stonecutters and Sherry Bobbins songs.

Sherry: Hello, I'm Sherry Bobbins.
Homer: You mean Mary Poppins?
Sherry: No! I'm a completely original creation like (shifting eyes) Ricky Rouse and Monald Muck!

Sherry: Willie, it's so nice to see you.
Willie: That's not what ye said when ye got your sight back! Suddenly the ugliest man in Glasgow wasn't good enough for ye!

Outside Stoner's Pot Emporium at the mall:

Otto: That is blatant false advertising!

Homer on pop music: The words aren't supposed to mean anything - they're like 'Shamalama ding-dong' or 'Give peace a chance'.

Recent, irreverent quotation from the one where Homer blames Marge for driving drunk:

In Revd Lovejoy's church:

Otto: Don't bogart Our Lord!

(Funny how all of Springfield - except Jewish Krusty, his dad Rabbi Herman Krustovsky, the dad's neighbourhood and Hindus Apu, Manjula and family - goes to the First Church of Springfield. Guess the RC church is in neighbouring Shelbyville. Maybe you can start a mission to the Russians in their Springfield neighbourhood where Lisa got stranded once.)

Best one, equally irreverent, I've heard about but haven't seen: the English 'Reformation' as enacted by the characters:

Ned Flanders as St Thomas More: Your Majesty, I can't accept this - I believe a celibate Italian weirdo knows more about marriage than you.

King (I think Homer): I respect your convictions, Sir Thomas, so I'll canonize you!

(Shoots More/Flanders out of a cannon.)

Revd Lovejoy as Archbishop Thomas Cranmer (perfect casting), marrying King Henry and Ann Boleyn: By the power vested in me... by you... just now...

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2004, 03:41:11 PM »

Lisa walking through the "Russian District" of Springfield...
Lisa: "I didn't know Springfield has a Russian District."
Walks up to 2 guys playing checkers or chess & yell at each other...
Lisa: "Can you tell me where the museum is?"
Guy 1 <<pointing>> "MUESEY V TOM NAPRAVLENIYE (museum is that way)
Lisa (scared voice): "ok, thanks anyway" (runs away)
Guy 2: "ONA NE POSHLA V TU STORANU" (hey, she went the wrong way)

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2004, 04:49:41 PM »

Ania,

My wife made her family's cheese pyramid this year at Pascha.  I got in a severe amount of trouble because I just said it was OK!  (I learned my lesson.........)  

It's very sweet. It's good on bread.  I like my cheese in a big block and to taste like cheddar.  (I'm no Emeril.)

Christos voskrese

So do I.  So do I!

Joe Zollars, who is looking forward to eating a recently obtained round of long-horn extra-sharp amish chedder cheese. Midnight come and me want eat big. Grin

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2004, 11:29:08 PM »

Lisa walking through the "Russian District" of Springfield...
Lisa: "I didn't know Springfield has a Russian District."
Walks up to 2 guys playing checkers or chess & yell at each other...
Lisa: "Can you tell me where the museum is?"
Guy 1 <<pointing>> "MUESEY V TOM NAPRAVLENIYE (museum is that way)
Lisa (scared voice): "ok, thanks anyway" (runs away)
Guy 2: "ONA NE POSHLA V TU STORANU" (hey, she went the wrong way)

Ania,

Thank you for the translation, it's nice to finally know what was being said!  Cheesy

Nice to know that there is another Simpsons' fan (besides myself) on this forum....

After reading all the recent posts, I would like to update my original post above and say that I am happy to know that I am surrounded by many fellow Simpons fans here on the forum!

:cheeky:  :cwm1:

Reading all of your favorite lines and songs reminded me of some forgotten episodes and made me laugh as well.

Thank you all!

In Christ,
Aaron
Tags: recipe Food 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: