OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:20:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Elders in North America?  (Read 1055 times) Average Rating: 0
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« on: January 20, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »

Mount Athos and Valaam Monasteries are known for having Spirit-filled Elders who impart grace and instruction in the science of deep prayer. One can also find such elders, like Elder Cleopa and Elder Arsenie, on places like Youtube, for instance, but where does one go in North America if one wants to meet one?

I wonder if anyone knows of, or has heard of, any Holy Elders of reputedly similar stature living in North America?

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »

Archimandrite Ephraim of Arizona seems to be the only one.  Unfortunately, none of the other Athonite elders followed his lead and came to this country, leaving the field as his alone.  Really too bad; there's more than one "flavor" of Athonite monasticism.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:40:30 PM »

Fr. Roman Braga in Rives Junction, Michigan is held in pretty high esteem as well.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 03:48:02 PM »

When I visited St. Nektarios' monastery I knew of pilgrims coming to see the Abbot Geronda Joseph. His days were booked up with visitors and I wasn't able to see him.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 04:12:53 PM »

When I visited St. Nektarios' monastery I knew of pilgrims coming to see the Abbot Geronda Joseph. His days were booked up with visitors and I wasn't able to see him.

Thank you. Is that St. Nektarios in Roscoe, NY?

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 04:31:41 PM »

Thank you. Is that St. Nektarios in Roscoe, NY?

Yes. Let me say though that I did not hear too much about this elder- I'm only assuming that there's a good reason why people are lining up to meet with him.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »

I've also heard good things about Abbess Olympiada at Holy Protection Monastery (White Haven, PA), though I think it is mainly women who go to see her (the nuns generally have a rule about not talking to male guests).

Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:26:07 PM »

Mother Markella of Living Spring Monastery in CA has a reputation comparable to Fr. Ephraim's, but is less well known, and I don't know whether she counsels men.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »

I've also heard good things about Abbess Olympiada at Holy Protection Monastery (White Haven, PA), though I think it is mainly women who go to see her (the nuns generally have a rule about not talking to male guests).

She's a true gem of Orthodoxy in this country.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: