Author Topic: Holy Elders in North America?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline stavros_388

• OC.net guru
Holy Elders in North America?
« on: January 20, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »
Mount Athos and Valaam Monasteries are known for having Spirit-filled Elders who impart grace and instruction in the science of deep prayer. One can also find such elders, like Elder Cleopa and Elder Arsenie, on places like Youtube, for instance, but where does one go in North America if one wants to meet one?

I wonder if anyone knows of, or has heard of, any Holy Elders of reputedly similar stature living in North America?
"This is the cross - to become dead to the whole world, to suffer sorrows, temptations and other passions of Christ; in bearing this cross with complete patience, we imitate Christ's passion and thus glorify our God the Father as His sons in grace and co-heirs of Christ." --St. Symeon the New Theologian

Offline Cymbyz

• Elder
Re: Holy Elders in North America?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »
Archimandrite Ephraim of Arizona seems to be the only one.  Unfortunately, none of the other Athonite elders followed his lead and came to this country, leaving the field as his alone.  Really too bad; there's more than one "flavor" of Athonite monasticism.
The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen

Offline jckstraw72

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:40:30 PM »
Fr. Roman Braga in Rives Junction, Michigan is held in pretty high esteem as well.

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 03:48:02 PM »
When I visited St. Nektarios' monastery I knew of pilgrims coming to see the Abbot Geronda Joseph. His days were booked up with visitors and I wasn't able to see him.

Offline stavros_388

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 04:12:53 PM »
When I visited St. Nektarios' monastery I knew of pilgrims coming to see the Abbot Geronda Joseph. His days were booked up with visitors and I wasn't able to see him.

Thank you. Is that St. Nektarios in Roscoe, NY?
"This is the cross - to become dead to the whole world, to suffer sorrows, temptations and other passions of Christ; in bearing this cross with complete patience, we imitate Christ's passion and thus glorify our God the Father as His sons in grace and co-heirs of Christ." --St. Symeon the New Theologian

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 04:31:41 PM »

Thank you. Is that St. Nektarios in Roscoe, NY?

Yes. Let me say though that I did not hear too much about this elder- I'm only assuming that there's a good reason why people are lining up to meet with him.

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »
I've also heard good things about Abbess Olympiada at Holy Protection Monastery (White Haven, PA), though I think it is mainly women who go to see her (the nuns generally have a rule about not talking to male guests).

Offline Cymbyz

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:26:07 PM »
Mother Markella of Living Spring Monastery in CA has a reputation comparable to Fr. Ephraim's, but is less well known, and I don't know whether she counsels men.
The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »
I've also heard good things about Abbess Olympiada at Holy Protection Monastery (White Haven, PA), though I think it is mainly women who go to see her (the nuns generally have a rule about not talking to male guests).

She's a true gem of Orthodoxy in this country.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.