Author Topic: I just found out there is a large Eritrean Orthodox community around me  (Read 507 times)

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
There is apparently a large immigrant community in my area. A couple years ago we saw a priest with a cross at the park who carried a cross, my kids wanted to go kiss the cross but not knowing proper ettiquette and such I didn't let them. I feel a little bad about that now.

Can anyone give me a little primer on the cultural norms for this group of Orthodox Christians? I think they feel pretty alone in this area. They are all likely labeled muslim automatically. So are the standard festal greetings common?

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Re: I just found out there is a large Eritrean Orthodox community around me
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:52:15 PM »
There is apparently a large immigrant community in my area. A couple years ago we saw a priest with a cross at the park who carried a cross, my kids wanted to go kiss the cross but not knowing proper ettiquette and such I didn't let them. I feel a little bad about that now.

Can anyone give me a little primer on the cultural norms for this group of Orthodox Christians? I think they feel pretty alone in this area. They are all likely labeled muslim automatically. So are the standard festal greetings common?

Yes.