OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 07:21:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RC sacraments accepted by which EO churches  (Read 494 times) Average Rating: 0
Dave in McKinney

Faith: Roman Catholic but loving Byzantine Catholicism

« on: January 18, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »

Are there any EO churches that accept the RC sacraments?

Thanks....
Ambrose of Milan

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 11:07:41 AM »

This is the same question that was posed by the Donatists to St. Augustine. "We have the same sacraments, we hold to the same councils, do we not have the same faith?" Pandering for notions of validity always makes me think of the episcopi vagantes, needing to be recognized is a mark of being schismatic.

Some jurisdictions don't accept RC baptisms while others don't even ordain RC priests who convert so it's a matter of the individual Orthodox Bishop's discretion. However, if the Pope of Rome were to return to Orthodoxy tomorrow, would every person in the communion be baptized? Probably not. Would every bishop, priest and deacon be ordained? Probably not. In the end the issue is not of valid or invalid sacraments but of schism.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 11:43:18 AM »

Pandering for notions of validity always makes me think of the episcopi vagantes, needing to be recognized is a mark of being schismatic.
Roll Eyes

I'm going to need this.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 01:12:48 PM »

Pandering for notions of validity always makes me think of the episcopi vagantes, needing to be recognized is a mark of being schismatic.
Roll Eyes

There are no sacraments in the Catholic Church to BE accepted by Orthodoxy at all...at that rate.  So why play with it?  More of that ONE true Orthodox faith...some do, some don't.

Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »

I am glad that our Church recognizes the validity of EO Sacraments. Seems like a lot more charitable approach.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: