Author Topic: RC sacraments accepted by which EO churches  (Read 539 times)

Offline Dave in McKinney

RC sacraments accepted by which EO churches
« on: January 18, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »
Are there any EO churches that accept the RC sacraments?

Thanks....

Offline Ambrose of Milan

Re: RC sacraments accepted by which EO churches
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 11:07:41 AM »
This is the same question that was posed by the Donatists to St. Augustine. "We have the same sacraments, we hold to the same councils, do we not have the same faith?" Pandering for notions of validity always makes me think of the episcopi vagantes, needing to be recognized is a mark of being schismatic.

Some jurisdictions don't accept RC baptisms while others don't even ordain RC priests who convert so it's a matter of the individual Orthodox Bishop's discretion. However, if the Pope of Rome were to return to Orthodoxy tomorrow, would every person in the communion be baptized? Probably not. Would every bishop, priest and deacon be ordained? Probably not. In the end the issue is not of valid or invalid sacraments but of schism.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 11:43:18 AM »
Pandering for notions of validity always makes me think of the episcopi vagantes, needing to be recognized is a mark of being schismatic.
::)

I'm going to need this.

Offline elijahmaria

• Taxiarches
    • Irenikin: The Skete
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 01:12:48 PM »
Pandering for notions of validity always makes me think of the episcopi vagantes, needing to be recognized is a mark of being schismatic.
::)

There are no sacraments in the Catholic Church to BE accepted by Orthodoxy at all...at that rate.  So why play with it?  More of that ONE true Orthodox faith...some do, some don't.

Offline Wyatt

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »
I am glad that our Church recognizes the validity of EO Sacraments. Seems like a lot more charitable approach.