OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:19:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I can't understand Romanian...what's happening?  (Read 1215 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: January 19, 2011, 08:51:07 PM »

the Church looks Armenian, but I believe the news anouncer is speaking Romanian.  what on earth is happening in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o50ndm1L6f0&feature=related

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:56:19 PM »

the Church looks Armenian, but I believe the news anouncer is speaking Romanian.  what on earth is happening in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o50ndm1L6f0&feature=related
Yes, it's Romanian. It's the Greeks and Armenians fighting over turf in the Church of the Resurrection-that's the Life-Giving Tomd in the background.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:56:31 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:31:50 PM »

That's some Grade A Christian behavior.  Roll Eyes

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »

That's some Grade A Christian behavior.  Roll Eyes
More like Grade F, unless A stands for "Anathema!"
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:45:42 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 09:53:31 PM »

What on earth is happening in this video?

The Armenians are asserting their right to be there for services. Every year the Greeks try to block them from conducting services, because should they ever back down and walk away, then they would lose their rights at the site forever.

It's easy for us to turn our noses up halfway around the world, but these rules are based on an old "Status Quo" that everyone abides by from the Ottoman period. Asserting one's rights is necessary to retain them if they are challenged. Nobody understands the context; everyone just sees the fighting and automatically gets to feel superior.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:54:08 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:58:19 PM »

The Armenians are asserting their right to be there for services. Every year the Greeks try to block them from conducting services, because should they ever back down and walk away, then they would lose their rights at the site forever.

It's easy for us to turn our noses up halfway around the world, but these rules are based on an old "Status Quo" that everyone abides by from the Ottoman period. Asserting one's rights is necessary to retain them if they are challenged. Nobody understands the context; everyone just sees the fighting and automatically gets to feel superior.

Are you suggesting that such violence is actually necessary to challenge the Greek blockade?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 10:13:07 PM »

What i think......
The Greek are really trying to do is knock those awful  Papal Mitres off the heads of the Armenians  Bishops ....... Grin
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:14:06 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 10:21:16 PM »

Oh, I've been there. It would serve us right if al-Hakim did destroy the place.

Btw, the Romanian does explain that it is because of the status quo rules which cannot be changed.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:24:34 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: