OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:34:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can the damned love God?  (Read 1026 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« on: January 18, 2011, 11:35:47 PM »

The Roman Catholic Church teaches that the damned hate God and are impenitent. At least that's what the Catholic Encyclopedia says.

What's the Orthodox stance on this? Is it possible for a damned person to appreciate the fact that God's judgment is righteous and that they deserve their suffering?

I'd like to acknowledge that I know that the Orthodox don't dogmatically define every little detail of the afterlife and acknowledge that in the end it's mostly a mystery. And that in Orthodoxy, Hell is (sometimes?) seen as the presence of God which manifests itself as pain for the unrepentant. I'd just like to know if there are any Fathers who have said anything about this.

Thank you.  Smiley

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 11:50:19 PM »

You should spend less time contemplating on hell, and more time focusing on heaven.

These things neither eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor heart can contemplate.  So why bother wonder if you do what is righteous?

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 12:40:17 AM »

You should spend less time contemplating on hell, and more time focusing on heaven.

These things neither eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor heart can contemplate.  So why bother wonder if you do what is righteous?
That sounds like a good idea.

Can a mod lock/delete this thread please?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 02:14:27 AM »

What's the Orthodox stance on this? Is it possible for a damned person to appreciate the fact that God's judgment is righteous and that they deserve their suffering?

I am not sure what you mean by a damned person. 

Mathe 24:36
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:04:30 AM »

The Fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom so I think it is a good idea to think about God's wrath as much as possible. Work out your salvation in Fear and trembling.

Rafa999 requested the following "Brother Thomas, can you do me a favour? I wish you could add in this thread I am unable to answer to that "Fear" is meant as "reverence" and not the traditional fear. Unfortunately I can't edit my answer."
Thomas Convert Issues Forum Moderator.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:35:04 AM by Thomas » Logged

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 12:41:37 PM »

The Fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom so I think it is a good idea to think about God's wrath as much as possible. Work out your salvation in Fear and trembling.

"A Christian ending to our life, painless, blameless, peaceful, and a good defense before the dread judgement seat of Christ, let us ask of the Lord."

I think we keep God's wrath and judgment in our minds. Yet, we also must remember His grace:

"Help us, save us, have mercy upon us, and keep us, O God, by Thy grace."

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 12:51:09 PM »

Perfect love casts out fear, says the Apostle John.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 05:51:59 PM »

The Roman Catholic Church teaches that the damned hate God and are impenitent. At least that's what the Catholic Encyclopedia says.

I'd like to acknowledge that I know that the Orthodox don't dogmatically define every little detail of the afterlife and acknowledge that in the end it's mostly a mystery. And that in Orthodoxy, Hell is (sometimes?) seen as the presence of God which manifests itself as pain for the unrepentant. I'd just like to know if there are any Fathers who have said anything about this.

Thank you.  Smiley
How does one know who is "damned" or not?

What does "damned" mean, anyway?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 06:09:49 PM »

Apostates like me, GIC, and Entscheidungsproblem?  angel

Large Marge sent me...
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 06:12:53 PM »

Apostates like me, GIC, and Entscheidungsproblem?  angel
You're not damned. You're simply problematic.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 06:43:48 PM »

I think the OP was asking about someone who has already been damned, which in that case, I think one would have a solid idea that they belonged to the aforementioned group.  Grin

I've thought about this question as well.  Would we be able to accept the justness of the decision? 

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 06:46:41 PM »

I think the OP was asking about someone who has already been damned, which in that case, I think one would have a solid idea that they belonged to the aforementioned group.  Grin

I've thought about this question as well.  Would we be able to accept the justness of the decision? 

Who has already been damned? We haven't had the Last Judgment yet.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 07:07:59 PM »

Who has already been damned? We haven't had the Last Judgment yet.

My wording was ambiguous and confusing.  I should have stated that following the Last Judgment, will those who are damned be able to accept the justness of their judgment?

My understanding, however, is that Particular Judgment will give us a foretaste of either heaven or hell.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:11:06 PM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 09:05:28 PM »

The idea that God would fail to, or lack the desire to, redeem someone who loves Him seems pretty ridiculous to me. The logical implication as such, is that the only ones who will not be redeemed will be those who hate God, if there are any.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 10:53:09 PM »

The idea that God would fail to, or lack the desire to, redeem someone who loves Him seems pretty ridiculous to me. The logical implication as such, is that the only ones who will not be redeemed will be those who hate God, if there are any.

The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person.

For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil.

- Ecclesiastes 12:13

Psalm 111:10 also says :

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom;
         A good understanding have all those who do His commandments;
         His praise endures forever.

"He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him."
-John 14:21

Have Wisdom and keep Understanding as a close relative as King Solomon says in Proverbs and never let go.

I heard the Egyptian Saint Anthony the Great when dying and leaving this earth suddenly Satan appeared to him and said "No! You have escaped me!". Abba Anthony replied "No, I have not- only when my two feet rest with God". He to me is a good model of how we should proceed in life.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: