OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 10:39:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: use of a prayer rule in other denominations?  (Read 1309 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: January 17, 2011, 08:21:46 PM »

do non-Orthodox denominations practice prayer rules?  do they pray in the mornings and evenings?

when I was going to a Roman Catholic Church, there was no talk at all about private prayer. Orthodoxy was the first place I had heard of praying every day, and I absolutly loved it..  I would never be able to go without having some sort of prayer rule. 

is this commen in other denominations?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:26:58 PM »

Coming from a Protestant background you would probably pray before eating dinner, maybe pray if you were in danger, have a prayer in Church, and that's about it.

No rule basically, do what you want...it's just a mental excercise.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:38:47 PM »

I have some old Psalter Hymnals (Dutch Reformed) from the early 20th century, and in the back they have morning and evening prayers, prayers at table, and for other occasions. I don't know how many people used them as a daily rule, but they were available and intended as such.

My own family didn't use the hymnal texts, but we did always pray before bedtime and before and after meals.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 08:39:46 PM by bogdan » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »

I have some old Psalter Hymnals (Dutch Reformed) from the early 20th century, and in the back they have morning and evening prayers, prayers at table, and for other occasions. I don't know how many people used them as a daily rule, but they were available and intended as such.

My own family didn't use the hymnal texts, but we did always pray before bedtime and before and after meals.

interesting, thanks!  I feel bad about this, but I do so wish I was raised in a more religous home.  it would have been a blessing to sit down and pray with my family, instead of making fun of those "stupid catholics praying the beads".

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:57:34 PM »

Many Evangelical families will have a devotional time, usually after the evening meal or at bedtime. It will typically consist of reading a passage of Scripture (lots of guides are available), perhaps with some commentary attached, and then a prayer time.

Individuals are usually encouraged to have a private devotional time at least once a day, morning or evening.

I knew (and know) many Evangelical families and individuals who are very faithful in keeping these times and were certainly as pious in that regard as any Orthodox layperson. My own personal experience was "usually". It really wasn't a big leap for me to find these things encouraged in Orthodoxy. What I have appreciated is a stricter format, rather than praying whatever comes into my head - and is too frequently very self-centred and self-serving.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:39:20 PM »

Aside from Evangelical "pray what you feel like" devotional time (which I was raised in), there's also the Anglican Book of Common Prayer (descended from the Roman Breviary) which contains Morning and Evening Prayers.  A quick google search shows that Luther devised a simple morning and evening rule for his followers, as well.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
wynd
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 01:51:52 AM »

The RCC has the Liturgy of the Hours, which is expected to be prayed five times a day by clergy. I know several RC laypeople who do morning/evening/night prayer as their own private practice, and some who do a daily Rosary, but it is not required of the RC laity.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:52:33 AM by wynd » Logged
Ambrose of Milan

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 02:29:02 AM »

The RCC has the Liturgy of the Hours, which is expected to be prayed five times a day by clergy. I know several RC laypeople who do morning/evening/night prayer as their own private practice, and some who do a daily Rosary, but it is not required of the RC laity.

It's called the Breviarium Romanum (for secular clergy), in it's traditional form and there are 8 offices (prime, lauds, terce, sext, none, vespers, compline and vigils [divided into 1st, 2nd and 3rd Nocturns]) 9 if you include the Mass which is referred to as the Holy Office. 7 in the novus ordo liturgy (no lauds) and they call it the Liturgy of the Hours. Several monastic groups have their own variations.

It's use mirrors our Canonical Hours in the weekly recitation of the psalter (monthly in the NO) with set and variable prayers, hymns and canticles for each hour.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 09:04:14 AM »

The Book of Common Prayer has many beautiful and edifying prayers.  Here is a thread about an Orthodox revision of it.  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=24362.0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 09:20:59 AM »

I never heard any talk about specific prayer rule during my Pentecostal days. There were of course a topics which were encouraged to be prayed but no specific set of prayers. But still prayer was highly encouraged and I find it really, really weird that there are Christian churches where private praying is not encouraged.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 09:51:31 PM »

When I was a Protestant we didn't have prayer rules, but we did sometimes call people prayer warriors.  angel They would have been horrified at the idea of reading out of a book or doing a set prayer rule--everything was supposed to be spontaneous. Which is interesting, because after a few weeks you could generally tell with 90% accuracy what people were going to pray when we did so in Church. "We thank you Father, and we just come to you Father, we pour our life out to you Father...etc." I'll give them credit for trying to get the people to pray though. They even had a prayer service on Saturday nights to serve as an alternative to going out and partying.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 03:10:00 AM »

I currently go to a Baptist church. My youth minister suggested creating a list of people you want to pray for every day and setting aside a time for it, but he didn't go so far as to suggest the prayers ought to be written out ahead of time. IIRC, The Book of Common Prayer contains a daily prayer rule, but I'm not sure how much it's used among modern Anglicans.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: