OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:20:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dr. Jeannie Constantinou's Commentary on the book of Revelation?  (Read 3960 times) Average Rating: 0
Peleg

Faith: Orthodox member
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: January 17, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »

I've been hearing that Dr. Jeannie Constantinou is translating a rather ancient commentary of the book of Revelation.  I understood it to have originally been written by a person who had compiled what the Fathers taught on it.  It's been a couple of years, is anybody aware if it's been published or, roughly, when it will be published?
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 11:02:14 PM »

You can find a link to it here

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Peleg

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 02:16:44 PM »

Unfortunately the link doesn't work.  Perhaps their server is down.  I'll keep trying, thanks for the link.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »

Unfortunately the link doesn't work.  Perhaps their server is down.  I'll keep trying, thanks for the link.

No trouble with this link now or when I tried it this morning.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 03:13:38 PM »

I had no trouble visiting the site and downloading the document.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »

I seem to recall Archbp. Averky relying quite a bit on St. Andrew of Caesarea in his commentary on The Apocylpse...? Was he drawing on a Russian translation, and if anyone knows, about how much of the commentary of St. Andrew (via Archbp. Averky and Fr. Seraphim Rose) got translated into English in the book The Apocalypse: In The Teachings of Ancient Christianity?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:15:57 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Peleg

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 04:05:38 PM »

Still get an error message.  I sent the error message to the webmaster...we'll see if they can help me.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 05:08:18 PM »

Still get an error message.  I sent the error message to the webmaster...we'll see if they can help me.

I opened it in explorer.  Are you using another browser (chrome, etc.)? 
Peleg

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 05:26:57 PM »

I opened it in explorer.  Are you using another browser (chrome, etc.)? 

Thanks for responding.  I have a Mac and tried both Safari and Firefox and it didn't work but I just tried it using Chrome and it opened!  Thanks!!
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 05:59:28 PM »

The file is 106 MB, so the browser is probably downloading it with no indication anything is happening. On my connection it took 5 minutes to download, so it may take a bit for it to come up.
Blasphemous Name Removed

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 11:40:12 PM »

I forbid you to read this book or consider its opinions. It was written by a woman, who should have taken instruction from her husband and her Father Confessor. Women are not fit to teach or have authority over a man.

The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, Amen

I am the resurrection and the life.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 12:01:32 AM »

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 12:12:35 PM »

All I know is that her podcasts are unbearable to listen to, even if they are helpful. Her enunciation is forced and she comes off as very p(m?)atronizing.

I hope her written voice doesn't pain as much.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Peleg

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 04:22:33 PM »

All I know is that her podcasts are unbearable to listen to, even if they are helpful. Her enunciation is forced and she comes off as very p(m?)atronizing.

I hope her written voice doesn't pain as much.

I know what you mean.  She can be a bit annoying at times but I think her knowledge and insights are very valuable none the less.
drjeannie

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »

Stumbled onto this site accidentally, as grace would have it.  So sorry some of you find my voice annoying - you would have to take that up with God - and I am "unbearable to listen to"? Wow. I apologize for being unbearable. But thanks for keeping me humble!  I certainly do not wish to come off as patronizing, so I would apologize for that if some of you took that as the tone. I have to speak to people at all levels. I can't assume that they have any background in theology or I would lose many people by speaking above them. Seems that some of you on this site have some prior knowledge about theology or the Fathers, etc. No offense was intended if you thought it was patronizing,it  may very well be below your level. Since the subject was broached about the publication of my translation of the commentary  by Andrew of Caesarea,   it will appear in print - finally - this fall published by Catholic University of America Press in their series Fathers of the Church, volume 123.  Blessed Lent/Kali Sarakosti to you all.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 10:41:16 PM »

Oh goodness gracious, you should read some of the things that have been said about me and other people here.  The comments above are soft in comparison.   Cheesy  Here at OCnet people tend to give other people a hard time.  I try to think of it as my Aunt's house at Thanksgiving as a kid when I and my several dozen cousins would have a free-for-all.   Grin

Seriously, though, welcome to the forum Dr. Jeannie.  We look forward to your posts.   Smiley

bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 11:00:23 PM »

Welcome, Dr Jeannie!  I assure you, not everyone feels you are patronizing or annoying. I'm sure you're very busy, but your insight is welcome here. Smiley
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 03:43:00 AM »

I am sorry Dr. Constantinou for the rude behavior of some. I didn't know about this thread until now.

But it is good to know that Catholic University of America will be publishing it.

Christ is in our Midst!

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Peleg

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »

Stumbled onto this site accidentally, as grace would have it.  So sorry some of you find my voice annoying - you would have to take that up with God - and I am "unbearable to listen to"? Wow. I apologize for being unbearable. But thanks for keeping me humble!  I certainly do not wish to come off as patronizing, so I would apologize for that if some of you took that as the tone. I have to speak to people at all levels. I can't assume that they have any background in theology or I would lose many people by speaking above them. Seems that some of you on this site have some prior knowledge about theology or the Fathers, etc. No offense was intended if you thought it was patronizing,it  may very well be below your level. Since the subject was broached about the publication of my translation of the commentary  by Andrew of Caesarea,   it will appear in print - finally - this fall published by Catholic University of America Press in their series Fathers of the Church, volume 123.  Blessed Lent/Kali Sarakosti to you all.

I was one of those who spoke rudely.  I did so w/ the thought that Dr. Constantinou would never read it.  That was cowardly and unChristian.  It was not an expressed disagreement w/ something she said but a personal insult.  I apologize.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 10:52:05 AM »

Congratulations on its publication!  This is good news and may it bring many blessings to others. 
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 12:07:07 AM »

I forgot how fantastic this post was.

INB4 tweety123

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags: Revelation Apocalypse of John end times 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: