OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 10:16:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Road Leads Away From the Church?  (Read 1032 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: January 17, 2011, 09:11:49 AM »

A young man, recently converted to Russian Orthodoxy, wandered into an ordinary Orthodox church in a Moscow side street. He was approached by an old woman, a donations box attendant, who began to instruct the young man: “You’d better take off that slip-knot. Our Lord did not wear neckties. The Devil lives in these knots.”

rest here
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:12:03 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:21:47 AM »

Interesting article. Explains a lot.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:38:42 AM »

It seems like volumes of writings are generated in ignorance of NT faith and the ignorant would refer to those who would actually read the NT as part of "world ecumenism".

Antiochian OC N.A.
Trevorthodox

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - Exarchate of Parishes of Russian Tradition

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:41:54 AM »

No ties? Jesus certainly never wore trousers or underpants either! (They were invented about 200 years ago)
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:49:59 AM »

That is quite the predicament.  Lord have mercy.
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:25:30 AM »

It's a bit ironic that this article which seems to be against ultra Fundamentalism is posted on a website which claims western Christmas carols are tools of, wait let me get my best Church lady voice . . . tools of  "Satan!" Okay maybe it doesn't claim that exactly, but it is just a bit funny to see an anti-Fundamentalist article on a website that insists "Christ is Born" must be more central of a hymn to me at Christmas than O Come all ye Faithful. Ain't gonna happen...lol!

Interesting article though about Russia, and it confirms some things I've been hearing for a number of years. Lord have mercy on us all.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 11:27:32 AM »

I think it's sad.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:37:44 AM »

I seem to recall our resident luddite Old Believer, Mr. Alden, saying something similar on here.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:39:32 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 11:51:14 AM »

Neckties, as an element of fashion, come in part from Croatia. In French, the word is cravat, which is related to Croatian, since the French saw Croatian soldiers wearing flashy neckerchiefs. Since, as everyone knows, Jesus has nothing to do with Croatians since they are Roman Catholic apostate heretics, therefore Our Lord has nothing to do with neckties, which are a symbol of Croatia's enslavement to the Vatican antichrist. It's so obvious.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »

Neckties, as an element of fashion, come in part from Croatia. In French, the word is cravat, which is related to Croatian, since the French saw Croatian soldiers wearing flashy neckerchiefs. Since, as everyone knows, Jesus has nothing to do with Croatians since they are Roman Catholic apostate heretics, therefore Our Lord has nothing to do with neckties, which are a symbol of Croatia's enslavement to the Vatican antichrist. It's so obvious.

Hmmm, when you put it like that..... Wink

Seriously, this is a good question as stated by the OP. It seems to me that it is not the mere preaching of doctrines or teachings that may seem to be 'foolishness' to the unchurched as St. Paul tells us, but rather it requires ones having a spiritual guide that can help us understand when we are espousing true, human foolishness such as the great 'necktie' debate. Kindness, humility, patience, charity and a lack of arrogance can go a long way to seeing that people embark upon the right road which leads through the Church to Salvation.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:34:17 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 02:31:21 PM »

A young man, recently converted to Russian Orthodoxy, wandered into an ordinary Orthodox church in a Moscow side street. He was approached by an old woman, a donations box attendant, who began to instruct the young man: “You’d better take off that slip-knot. Our Lord did not wear neckties. The Devil lives in these knots.”

rest here

I've heard that this is a belief of Old Believers... So chances are, this church wasn't Russian Orthodox, but an Old Believer Church.
Mattheos

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 01:35:19 AM »

This is outrage!

NULL
Tags: knots 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: