Author Topic: The Publican's Prayer book  (Read 8233 times)

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
The Publican's Prayer book
« on: January 17, 2011, 11:31:05 PM »
has anyone ever heard of the publican's prayer book?  can you tell us something about it?

http://www.melkite.org/sophiapress/publicansprayerbook.htm

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Re: The Publican's Prayer book
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:12:55 AM »
if no one has heard of it, does it look "Orthodox" enough for me to get?  I have a few prayer books, all of which I love.  there are, though, several things I want in a prayer book ("picky Trevor" is what my grandmother called me) and no one of the ones I use has them.  this, though, seems to. 

although, it is from a Byzantine Catholic publisher, but from the reviews I've read, it is as Orthodox as the Jordanville or HTM.

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:19:22 AM »
I have it and use it daily though I'm a Latin, here is a review...

http://byzantineramblings.blogspot.com/2009/05/of-prayer-books-ii.html
An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Offline bogdan

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:20:32 AM »
I've heard of it but I don't know anything about it beyond that. It is probably more or less Orthodox; that part pictured is pretty much the exact same as the Jordanville, except being in Modern English.

Shoot, I would almost buy it for the typography alone. That is a beautifully printed book, and the ribbon bookmark is a nice touch. I wish the Jordanville folks would print a version with such aesthetics—good paper, good typesetting, 2-color printing, ah lovely. It's what I love about HTM's pocket Psalter.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:21:55 AM by bogdan »

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:25:41 AM »
I've heard of it but I don't know anything about it beyond that. It is probably more or less Orthodox; that part pictured is pretty much the exact same as the Jordanville, except being in Modern English.

Shoot, I would almost buy it for the typography alone. That is a beautifully printed book, and the ribbon bookmark is a nice touch. I wish the Jordanville folks would print a version with such aesthetics—good paper, good typesetting, 2-color printing, ah lovely. It's what I love about HTM's pocket Psalter.

there are more pictures here, for your viewing pleasure.  I think I'll totally be buying this.

http://absnospin.blogspot.com/2010/03/review-publicans-prayerbook.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:27:45 AM by trevor72694 »

Offline bogdan

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:34:28 AM »
Oh, that is beautiful! I'm having prayer book envy, seriously. I'm saving up for some other books at the moment, but I must add that to my long term library list.

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:37:53 AM »
Oh, that is beautiful! I'm having prayer book envy, seriously. I'm saving up for some other books at the moment, but I must add that to my long term library list.
I know what you mean. I'm saving up my allowence (a 16 year old gets $25 a month, go figure) to buy a new prayer book. this looks perfect, and I am definatly going to buy it. 

the only thing I highly dislike about the jordanville is the Elizabethan English used, and this looks perfect.  I'll just blot out the one intercessory prayer for the Pope of Rome, and I'll be golden.   :)

Offline bogdan

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 12:46:35 AM »
I know what you mean. I'm saving up my allowence (a 16 year old gets $25 a month, go figure) to buy a new prayer book. this looks perfect, and I am definatly going to buy it. 

the only thing I highly dislike about the jordanville is the Elizabethan English used, and this looks perfect.  I'll just blot out the one intercessory prayer for the Pope of Rome, and I'll be golden.   :)

Depending on how specific the wording is to the Pope, you could just adapt the prayer to apply to your local bishop. No sense letting it go to waste! :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:46:59 AM by bogdan »

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:53:34 AM »

Depending on how specific the wording is to the Pope, you could just adapt the prayer to apply to your local bishop. No sense letting it go to waste! :)
what a resourceful idea!  thanks!!! 

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 01:41:26 AM »
Use a soft #2 pencil to cover it...
An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 03:35:31 AM »

Or you could intend it as a prayer for his conversion to Orthodoxy. ;)
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 09:33:02 AM »

Or you could intend it as a prayer for his conversion to Orthodoxy. ;)

Lord, Have Mercy!   :D

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 12:19:23 AM »

sorry, I forgot your Roman Catholic.  I hope I didn't offend you with my wanting to blot out the prayers for the pope.   :-[

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 01:58:28 AM »

sorry, I forgot your Roman Catholic.  I hope I didn't offend you with my wanting to blot out the prayers for the pope.   :-[

No offense, it's your prayer book...

PS-by the way I do pray for all Patriarchs, but don't tell anybody...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:59:10 AM by Jakub »

Offline Personna

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 05:28:30 PM »

I have the second edition of the Melkite Horologion.  The same company that publishes the Horologion publishes the Publcian Prayer Book.  Interestingly enough, I don't think the Horologion has one intercessory prayer for the Pope of Rome.  I'm surprised the Publican Prayer Book does.

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 06:45:24 PM »
"Save, O Lord, and have mercy on his Holiness, N., the Pope of Rome" is the sentence in question...

Now, if one prays for one's enemies how come you can't ask for mercy on the Bishop of Rome ?

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 07:38:08 PM »
"Save, O Lord, and have mercy on his Holiness, N., the Pope of Rome" is the sentence in question...

Now, if one prays for one's enemies how come you can't ask for mercy on the Bishop of Rome ?

of course, we can!  perhapse praying for "All Christian bishops" would be better?

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »
Many need our prayers...

"The floor of hell is paved with the skulls of bishops." – St. Athanasius

“The road to hell is paved with the skulls of erring priests, with bishops as their sign posts." – St. John Chrysostom

I used St. John Chrysostom's quote as my signature at one time and caught a lot of flack from some various peoples... I do like it though  ;)

Offline Dnarmist

• Seems Uncertain
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 10:11:50 PM »
Many need our prayers...

"The floor of hell is paved with the skulls of bishops." – St. Athanasius

“The road to hell is paved with the skulls of erring priests, with bishops as their sign posts." – St. John Chrysostom

I used St. John Chrysostom's quote as my signature at one time and caught a lot of flack from some various peoples... I do like it though  ;)

What do those quotes mean?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 11:08:20 PM »

Of course there's nothing wrong with praying for RC pope of Old Rome. However If I understand correctly that prayer is not intended as a simple prayer for an individual Christian but as a prayer for one's primate. In Trevor's case would be His Beautitude metropolitan Jonah of Washington so in this case praying for HH pope Benedict of Old Rome would be a little incorrect.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34