OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 11:07:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignatius Press Catholic Bible 2nd Edition vs New Oxford Annotated Bible  (Read 5738 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: January 16, 2011, 05:04:35 AM »

Yes another Bible thread...both of the Bibles I have in my title use the RSV translations.

NOAB w/ Apocrypha: http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Apocrypha-Standard-Expanded-Hardcover/dp/0195283481/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1295168001&sr=8-5

Ignatius Bible Second Catholic Edition: http://www.amazon.com/Ignatius-Bible-Revised-Standard-Catholic/dp/0898708338/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295167597&sr=8-1

I have the NOAB, but I was looking for another RSV with study notes...how does the Ignatius one hold up? Fr. Hopko said that Protestants, Roman Catholics and Orthodox agreed on the text regarding the RSV, which Ignatius has in their second edition. But my concern would be theological aspects, for example exchanging the word "sin" for "guilt" are those sort of differences in that Bible?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 11:03:20 PM »

Yes another Bible thread...both of the Bibles I have in my title use the RSV translations.

NOAB w/ Apocrypha: http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Apocrypha-Standard-Expanded-Hardcover/dp/0195283481/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1295168001&sr=8-5

Ignatius Bible Second Catholic Edition: http://www.amazon.com/Ignatius-Bible-Revised-Standard-Catholic/dp/0898708338/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295167597&sr=8-1

I have the NOAB, but I was looking for another RSV with study notes...how does the Ignatius one hold up? Fr. Hopko said that Protestants, Roman Catholics and Orthodox agreed on the text regarding the RSV, which Ignatius has in their second edition. But my concern would be theological aspects, for example exchanging the word "sin" for "guilt" are those sort of differences in that Bible?

I have the Ignatius, and it is a well made Bible. Unfortunately, it is an RSV, so it is of little use to me.  I can certainly see why the Orthodox felt they needed their own translation.  However, I wish that the OSB would come out in a version like the Ignatius without all the commentary and in a good binding.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:59:57 PM »

What's wrong with the RSV?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 12:09:18 AM »

Nothing of importance. RSV for study, NKJV for less structured reading. Many other versions for lulz.

I'll try to look up past threads on this subject.

It's a Bible not a Koran.

If you have the Oxford, I really don't see how much more you are going to get from the Ignatius.

If you feel that you are truly missing out on nuances which might damn your soul start getting some Greek and Hebrew under your belt, even if in a limited manner. Or do the same if you are a nerd.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:12:44 AM »

I like to compare versions. Which by the way I heard the Ignatius changes some words or adds, like Only Begotten Son in St. John's Gospel. And of course this is not the Koran.

Yes other versions for lulz, The Message anyone? Slanderous..
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:14:46 AM by Aposphet » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 12:25:18 AM »

I like to compare versions. Which by the way I heard the Ignatius changes some words or adds, like Only Begotten Son in St. John's Gospel. And of course this is not the Koran.

Yes other versions for lulz, The Message anyone? Slanderous..

I guess if you have the money and the inclination . . .

The vast majority of the text is the same between the two versions you are mentioning.

This nerd is prevaricating over which English version of the Ladder of Divine Ascent at the moment.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 12:29:19 AM »

If you feel that you are truly missing out on nuances which might damn your soul start getting some Greek and Hebrew under your belt, even if in a limited manner. Or do the same if you are a nerd.

I'm just gonna tell you this once: this is an Orthodox forum, we don't suggest that people learn Hebrew 'round these parts. Hebrew is of the devil!

Now as to the original post... I don't know. I've often Oxfords w/apocrypha several times, but haven't seen this Ignatius one... one more book for the list? Darn...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:30:23 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 12:32:07 AM »

This nerd is prevaricating over which English version of the Ladder of Divine Ascent at the moment.

I got the one with the blue hardcover with the little gold cross on it, it's the best one to get IMO.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 12:36:34 AM »

Not an Orthodox translation of the OT.  Not translated from the LXX.  NT is not bad.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 12:37:40 AM »

I got the one with the blue hardcover with the little gold cross on it, it's the best one to get IMO.

Being a nerd, I will eventually get both. And being neurotic worry about what I missing while not putting in practice what is clearly written in either version (the two I am looking at, one of which is the one you mention).

Thanks for the rec.

Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 12:38:20 AM »

If this is the HTM version, I agree.  Very good quality.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 12:39:48 AM »

Not an Orthodox translation of the OT.  Not translated from the LXX.  NT is not bad.

Yeah that's true, much derived from the Masoretic Text. But atleast it has the IV Maccabees book...

Being a nerd, I will eventually get both. And being neurotic worry about what I missing while not putting in practice what is clearly written in either version (the two I am looking at, one of which is the one you mention).

Thanks for the rec.

Oh your condescending sarcasm humors me.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 12:42:44 AM »

Some of you folks take this whole LXX stuff wwwayyy too seriously. As if there is *the* LXX. But I guess you all have the Sermon of the Mount down pat and the Decalogue is old hat.

God bless you.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 12:44:30 AM »

Yeah that's true, much derived from the Masoretic Text. But atleast it has the IV Maccabees book...

Thanks for the rec.

Oh your condescending sarcasm humors me.

Actually, I would classify it as self-depreciation. But really it is pretty much how I operate. I would rather spend time choosing the best rather than doing the good.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 12:46:58 AM »

Actually, I would classify it as self-depreciation. But really it is pretty much how I operate. I would rather spend time choosing the best rather than doing the good.

I agree 100%.

I guess my years spent on message boards usually rings my sarcasm meter on just about anything, but it's good to know it was self-deprecating.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 10:49:33 AM »

Some of you folks take this whole LXX stuff wwwayyy too seriously. As if there is *the* LXX.
Otherwise known as the LeXXus; not to be confused with the Maseratic text.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 10:52:19 AM »

The 2nd edition is not the same as RSV- what I saw of the translation seemed considerably smoother to me than the RSV. For example, the annoying RSV practice using the phrase "steadfast love" instead of "mercy", which made many psalms nigh unsingable, is fixed in the 2nd Catholic edition.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 05:49:09 PM »

I'm just gonna tell you this once: this is an Orthodox forum, we don't suggest that people learn Hebrew 'round these parts. Hebrew is of the devil!

What a very odd thing to say!!  Is this "condescending sarcasm"?  "Hebrew is of the devil"Huh?  As a person of Jewish descent, with dual Israeli/American citizenship, I'm not sure whether to consider this statement as really off-color humor (not very funny, at that) or outright anti-Semitic.  Do I groan from the stupidity of it, or do I groan from the nastiness of it?  Or....am I just missing the point altogether?  I hope it's the latter, as it is very easy for me to do that---you know, being one who speaks some of the devil's tongue.  Please enlighten me.  And....please forgive me if I have overreacted.

And, while I'm here, what about The Amplified Bible?

In Christ,
JM

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 06:25:06 PM »

What a very odd thing to say!!  Is this "condescending sarcasm"?  "Hebrew is of the devil"Huh?  As a person of Jewish descent, with dual Israeli/American citizenship, I'm not sure whether to consider this statement as really off-color humor (not very funny, at that) or outright anti-Semitic.  Do I groan from the stupidity of it, or do I groan from the nastiness of it?  Or....am I just missing the point altogether?  I hope it's the latter, as it is very easy for me to do that---you know, being one who speaks some of the devil's tongue.  Please enlighten me.  And....please forgive me if I have overreacted.

In Christ,
JM

Asteriktos is making a barbed comment more about the forum than about Hebrew.  We have some...interesting...people around here whose real attitude may mirror Asteriktos' humourous post.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 06:47:43 PM »

In Christ,
JM

I’m sorry if my joke offended Sad The purpose of the joke was two fold. First, as Schultz mentioned, there are some posters that do seem a bit keen on attacking almost anything to do with Jews/Judaism/etc.  And second, more related to the topic of this thread, my comment was a jab at those who seem a bit over zealous in their support of the Greek Septuagint, over and against the Hebrew.  I apologize if my joke came off badly or was in bad taste.

Large Marge sent me...
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 11:02:16 AM »

In Christ,
JM

I’m sorry if my joke offended Sad The purpose of the joke was two fold. First, as Schultz mentioned, there are some posters that do seem a bit keen on attacking almost anything to do with Jews/Judaism/etc.  And second, more related to the topic of this thread, my comment was a jab at those who seem a bit over zealous in their support of the Greek Septuagint, over and against the Hebrew.  I apologize if my joke came off badly or was in bad taste.

Ahhh....okay!  Apology accepted!  Please forgive me for being obtuse and oversensitive.

So, what about "The Amplified Bible"?
http://www.amazon.com/Amplified-Bible-Zondervan/dp/0310951410/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295967661&sr=1-1

Or should I start a new thread?

Thanks!

In Christ,
JM

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: