OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 12:31:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Family matters.  (Read 710 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: January 15, 2011, 08:43:39 PM »

Mom might need to be biopsied for another form of cancer.

Dad's job might be in danger if the company he works for is purchased.

Brother is trying to get certain classes at community college and then transfer to a university, but he is not eligible for regular government grants because of the units he had from when he first started college.

I'm still under-employed.

Also, one of the churches I go to is going to do more outreach to share the Gospel and God's love with others. I would like them to be successful in planting seeds for the Holy Spirit to work in people's lives.

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:49:38 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Phoenix73

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 09:48:41 PM »

Lord Have Mercy
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 10:27:19 PM »

Prayers ......

Lord Have Mercy....Amen Amen
Prayers to our Blessed Lord And God, In helping Your Mom and Granting Healing in these trying times...Amen Amen
Prayers To our Most Blessed Lord and God, for you and your Brother,
and all your Friends and your Church sucess, in all that you seek,, Grant it OH LORD...Amen Amen

Prayers To The Most Blessed Theotokos , Mother of God For Her Help,
and covers all under Her Motherly Mantle Of Protection.....Amen Amen
  For with God All Things Are Possable...Amen Amen
             Slava i Hvala ti Gospode ...Amin Amin
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:52:19 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 11:14:41 PM »

"Lord have mercy."

The title of this thread says it all. Family DOES matter, and satan is waging war against family. And when we really think about it, family includes everyone in the human race. Satan is after all of us. We are our brother's keeper. As Dr. King said (and as we remember him this weekend), "Whatever effects one directly effects all indirectly."

I know the struggle of having to sometimes choose between heart medicination and groceries. I know the frustration of being denied disability because my wife "earns too much" as a public school teacher with 4 dependents; but if we were "shacking up" and not married, I would qualify for disability and my wife would qualify for food stamps.

Forgive me for mentioning these things; I am truly not trying to elicit sympathy. We are blessed beyond measure to have extended family that would never allow us to go homeless or hungry, and they help us with much more than we ever need at times. But I know there are families in our same situation who do not have help from relatives or friends. I cannot imagine the struggle they endure. Many loving married couples feel forced to divorce simply so they can survive and provide for their children. What kind of sick system is this!?

My Father-in-Law is 75 years old, blind from birth, and he still has to work 6 days a week in order to pay off his deceased wife’s medical bills. But I have never heard him utter a single word of complaint in all the years I’ve known him.

But Anastasia1, in spite of all the serious concerns you mentioned, you ended by expressing concern for the spiritual salvation and welfare of people you do not even know: “Also, one of the churches I go to is going to do more outreach to share the Gospel and God's love with others. I would like them to be successful in planting seeds for the Holy Spirit to work in people's lives.” What a marvelous and inspirational example that is to me and to all who read your OP.  You expressed your immediate and personal concerns, but yet you went beyond yourself to plead for the salvation of all of your human brothers and sisters. I am humbled, shamed, and inspired by your honest and sincere prayer request.

Selam  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:18:14 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 11:49:24 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 02:19:42 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 03:27:13 AM »

Lord have Mercy.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Love never fails.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 06:26:08 PM »

Lord have mercy! 
Knytshade
Newly Illumined 1-1-11

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Midwest Diocese

Beloved Michael: my patron--I thank God for you!

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »

Lord have mercy!

"If you leave me free in my religion, I will be very eager to carry out your commands. But if you try to force me to change my faith, I will first surrender my head. I was born a Christian and a Christian I shall die."

--St. John the Russian to his Turkish master
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »

"Lord have mercy."

The title of this thread says it all. Family DOES matter, and satan is waging war against family. And when we really think about it, family includes everyone in the human race. Satan is after all of us. We are our brother's keeper. As Dr. King said (and as we remember him this weekend), "Whatever effects one directly effects all indirectly."

Great post.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 03:39:57 AM »

"Lord have mercy."

Great post.
Indeed. I am humbled by your post, Gebre.

Thank you all for your prayers.

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: