Author Topic: Family matters.  (Read 871 times)

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian
Family matters.
« on: January 15, 2011, 08:43:39 PM »
Mom might need to be biopsied for another form of cancer.

Dad's job might be in danger if the company he works for is purchased.

Brother is trying to get certain classes at community college and then transfer to a university, but he is not eligible for regular government grants because of the units he had from when he first started college.

I'm still under-employed.

Also, one of the churches I go to is going to do more outreach to share the Gospel and God's love with others. I would like them to be successful in planting seeds for the Holy Spirit to work in people's lives.
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline Agia Marina

• Site Supporter
  • Elder
  • St. Marina of Antioch
    • Holy Cross Monastery
Re: Family matters.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:49:38 PM »
Lord, have mercy.
“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Phoenix73

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 09:48:41 PM »
Lord Have Mercy

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 10:27:19 PM »
Prayers ......

Lord Have Mercy....Amen Amen
Prayers to our Blessed Lord And God, In helping Your Mom and Granting Healing in these trying times...Amen Amen
Prayers To our Most Blessed Lord and God, for you and your Brother,
and all your Friends and your Church sucess, in all that you seek,, Grant it OH LORD...Amen Amen

Prayers To The Most Blessed Theotokos , Mother of God For Her Help,
and covers all under Her Motherly Mantle Of Protection.....Amen Amen
  For with God All Things Are Possable...Amen Amen
             Slava i Hvala ti Gospode ...Amin Amin
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:52:19 PM by stashko »
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 11:14:41 PM »
"Lord have mercy."

The title of this thread says it all. Family DOES matter, and satan is waging war against family. And when we really think about it, family includes everyone in the human race. Satan is after all of us. We are our brother's keeper. As Dr. King said (and as we remember him this weekend), "Whatever effects one directly effects all indirectly."

I know the struggle of having to sometimes choose between heart medicination and groceries. I know the frustration of being denied disability because my wife "earns too much" as a public school teacher with 4 dependents; but if we were "shacking up" and not married, I would qualify for disability and my wife would qualify for food stamps.

Forgive me for mentioning these things; I am truly not trying to elicit sympathy. We are blessed beyond measure to have extended family that would never allow us to go homeless or hungry, and they help us with much more than we ever need at times. But I know there are families in our same situation who do not have help from relatives or friends. I cannot imagine the struggle they endure. Many loving married couples feel forced to divorce simply so they can survive and provide for their children. What kind of sick system is this!?

My Father-in-Law is 75 years old, blind from birth, and he still has to work 6 days a week in order to pay off his deceased wife’s medical bills. But I have never heard him utter a single word of complaint in all the years I’ve known him.

But Anastasia1, in spite of all the serious concerns you mentioned, you ended by expressing concern for the spiritual salvation and welfare of people you do not even know: “Also, one of the churches I go to is going to do more outreach to share the Gospel and God's love with others. I would like them to be successful in planting seeds for the Holy Spirit to work in people's lives.” What a marvelous and inspirational example that is to me and to all who read your OP.  You expressed your immediate and personal concerns, but yet you went beyond yourself to plead for the salvation of all of your human brothers and sisters. I am humbled, shamed, and inspired by your honest and sincere prayer request.

Selam  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:18:14 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+

Online ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 11:49:24 PM »
Lord have mercy!
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 02:19:42 AM »
Lord, have mercy!
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 03:27:13 AM »
Lord have Mercy.

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »
Lord, have mercy!
Love never fails.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »
Lord, have mercy.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
  • St. Photini
    • Whispers Written - a friends only journal - pm to be added.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 06:26:08 PM »
Lord have mercy! 
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline Knytshade

• Newly Illumined 1-1-11
  • Beloved Michael: my patron--I thank God for you!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »
Lord have mercy!
"If you leave me free in my religion, I will be very eager to carry out your commands. But if you try to force me to change my faith, I will first surrender my head. I was born a Christian and a Christian I shall die."

--St. John the Russian to his Turkish master

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
"Lord have mercy."

The title of this thread says it all. Family DOES matter, and satan is waging war against family. And when we really think about it, family includes everyone in the human race. Satan is after all of us. We are our brother's keeper. As Dr. King said (and as we remember him this weekend), "Whatever effects one directly effects all indirectly."

Great post.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 03:39:57 AM »
"Lord have mercy."

Great post.
Indeed. I am humbled by your post, Gebre.

Thank you all for your prayers.
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)