OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:52:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgy in the feet of Christ the Redeemer  (Read 2609 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: January 15, 2011, 06:37:16 AM »

An Orthodox liturgy took place near the statue of Christ the Redeemer atop Mount Corcovado in central Rio de Janeiro on Thursday.

rest here, pictures

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:06:55 AM »

Wonderful to see Canonical Orthodox working and witnessing together. This is what Chambesy was all about!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 08:12:13 AM »

This angers me to Know End..... Angry
Disgraceful , Holy Orthodoxy worshiping before a Idol.........
What is Holy Orthodox coming to because of ecumenism......
Don't we have our own Churches, our own Altars to worship at........ 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:24:23 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 09:00:05 AM »

Yes stashko, this is obviously an image of pure evil...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 09:22:55 AM »

This Picture dosn't change my mind of Holy Orthodoxy worshiping before a Idol and on a strange Altar.....This whats Pictured could of also happened in a Holy Orthodox Church ,and it actually does every sunday around the world....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 09:36:21 AM »

a Idol

a strange Altar

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 09:41:56 AM »

Disgraceful ,Bowing before a idol.....what churches do these Orthodox Priests belong to , so i can stay away from their Churches ........ police

That Idol does come in handy for the para Gliders and parachutist that use its arms to propel themselfs for take off.....
Thats all its good for.....

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 09:48:22 AM by stashko » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:48:45 AM »

Wonderful to see Canonical Orthodox working and witnessing together. This is what Chambesy was all about!
And what a blessing this is for the flood ravaged people of Brazil!

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 10:09:48 AM »

Disgraceful ,Bowing before a idol.....what churches do these Orthodox Priests belong to , so i can stay away from their Churches ........ police

That Idol does come in handy for the para Gliders and parachutist that use its arms to propel themselfs for take off.....
Thats all its good for.....

So...you believe it's an idol...

Do you believe they're worshipping the stone itself? This is the same flimsy (and quite frankly, ignorant) argument I hear from Protestants about iconography.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 10:10:35 AM »

That Idol Hasn't Done a thing to deepen the peoples faith .......They Hold Carnival  at the foot of it..where sin abounds ,every years more wicked....The Excuse i read  about, that was given that the Idol averts his eyes for the time of Carnival and lets them get away with what ever they want to do.......Idol versus Holy Ikona........ Grin

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:15:18 AM by stashko » Logged

podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 10:11:50 AM »

What a wonderful expression of Orthodox unity in front of one of the most famous symbols of Christianity in the world. It certainly shows the Brazilian people that Christianity is more than a babel of angry peoples each claiming to be superior and holier than their neighbors.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 10:20:55 AM »

True Holy Orthodoxy  Will Never Accept A Idol As a Christian Symbol........ police

What a wonderful expression of Orthodox unity in front of one of the most famous symbols of Christianity in the world. It certainly shows the Brazilian people that Christianity is more than a babel of angry peoples each claiming to be superior and holier than their neighbors.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 10:22:11 AM »

That Idol Hasn't Done a thing to deepen the peoples faith .......They Hold Carnival  at the foot of it..where sin abounds ,every years more wicked....The Excuse i read  about, that was given that the Idol averts his eyes for the time of Carnival and lets them get away with what ever they want to do.......Idol versus Holy Ikona........ Grin

Just like putting an icon in your home doesn't compel you to cease your sinning, neither would a statue...no matter how large.

People will do as people will do, however, if those who love Christ truly fall at His feet in worship...does it matter whether that is an icon, a statue or anything else, which is the object of veneration? Is Christ not worshipped regardless? And should the Orthodox who faithfully worship at the feet of Christ in Brazil be blamed and anathematized for the sinful indulgences of others, simply because they happen to occur near the statue at which they have worshipped? Should an Orthodox temple be condemned if a strip club moves into the building next door?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:23:15 AM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 10:29:59 AM »

Just like putting an icon in your home doesn't compel you to cease your sinning, neither would a statue...no matter how large.

People will do as people will do, however, if those who love Christ truly fall at His feet in worship...does it matter whether that is an icon, a statue or anything else, which is the object of veneration? Is Christ not worshipped regardless? And should the Orthodox who faithfully worship at the feet of Christ in Brazil be blamed and anathematized for the sinful indulgences of others, simply because they happen to occur near the statue at which they have worshipped? Should an Orthodox temple be condemned if a strip club moves into the building next door?

Well said, when I was a boy there were twenty three saloons and two large factories on the street where our church and three others were located. It was a legendary local rite of passage for high schoolers to 'make the Clinton Street run' by stopping and consuming a drink at each saloon. I guess the churches should have gotten together and moved to a holy pasture or someplace. Oh, by the way, the churches are still there, the factories are gone and only three quiet bars remain.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 10:30:41 AM »

Three dimensional images Statues are considered Idol ,forbidden in Holy Orthodoxy..........There not even allowed in a Holy Orthodox Church.....Some May Say But the western orthodox Churches Allows them ,,Thats Because the Bishops that allow them are ecumenist.... Grin

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:35:15 AM by stashko » Logged

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 10:34:10 AM »

Three dimensional images Statues are considered Idol ,forbidden in Holy Orthodoxy..........There not even allowed in a Holy Orthodox Church.....Some May Say But the western orthodox Churches Allow them ,,Thats Because the Bishops that allow them are ecumenist.... Grin

That's a slippery slope at best. Worshipping statuary is obviously forbidden...as is worshipping iconography. There has always, however, been statuary used within Orthodoxy. There is beautiful brass statuary around Christ the Savior in Moscow. Actually, I don't even see the Christians depicted above venerating the statue.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 10:34:40 AM »

Three dimensional images Statues are considered Idol ,forbidden in Holy Orthodoxy..........There not even allowed in a Holy Orthodox Church.....Some May Say But the western orthodox Churches Allow them ,,Thats Because the Bishops that allow them are ecumenist.... Grin

http://www.kosovo.net/esokolica.html

Physician, heal yourself.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 10:38:59 AM »

Holy Ikons Show Transfigured Humanity ,What we have to strive for ....Statues Don't...... police

That's a slippery slope at best. Worshipping statuary is obviously forbidden...as is worshipping iconography. There has always, however, been statuary used within Orthodoxy. There is beautiful brass statuary around Christ the Savior in Moscow. Actually, I don't even see the Christians depicted above venerating the statue.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 10:43:25 AM »

Thats not allowed in the serbian Orthodox Church.....It's  out side were it belongs....decoration....I suspect Croatian Latin Influence.......
St. Sava Libertiville Illinois ,Has A statue Idol of Christ Over the Main Gate ,Decoration only....Not allowed Inside The Church.... Grin

Holy Orthodox Ikona's Only need Apply.....

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:51:46 AM by stashko » Logged

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 10:51:43 AM »

Thats not allowed in the serbian Orthodox Church.....It's  out side were it belongs....decoration....
St. Sava Libertiville Illinois ,Has A statue Idol of Christ Over the Main Gate ,Decoration only....Not allowed Inside The Church.... Grin

Christ the Redeemer is outside, and not receiving veneration. According to your own standards, there's no problem with the specific instance we're talking about right now.

Holy Ikons Show Transfigured Humanity ,What we have to strive for ....Statues Don't...... police

In philosophy, this type of argument is call an ad desperatum.  Wink Not really. But, please...stop grabbing at straws and making such abstract statements that...really don't mean anything...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:52:06 AM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 10:56:50 AM »

That Idol Hasn't Done a thing to deepen the peoples faith .......They Hold Carnival  at the foot of it..where sin abounds ,every years more wicked....
So are you saying that no evil happens at the foot of an icon written in the traditional Orthodox way?  And are you saying that not even a single soul has ever been reminded of our Lord by looking at this statue of Christ the Redeemer.  Come on!!!

NULL
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 10:57:49 AM »

We don't pray before  statues its alien to us ......It's not part of our Heritage......

Thats not allowed in the serbian Orthodox Church.....It's  out side were it belongs....decoration....

Christ the Redeemer is outside, and not receiving veneration. According to your own standards, there's no problem with the specific instance we're talking about right now.

In philosophy, this type of argument is call an ad desperatum.  Wink Not really. But, please...stop grabbing at straws and making such abstract statements that...really don't mean anything...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:59:43 AM by stashko » Logged

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 10:59:17 AM »

Thats not allowed in the serbian Orthodox Church.....It's  out side were it belongs....decoration....I suspect Croatian Latin Influence.......

Would you be this worked up if the Orthodox of New York decided to hold Liturgy at the base of the statue of Liberty or if the Orthodox of Paris decided to do the same beneath the Eiffel Tower? If either of these happened no one would think they are there to worship those erections. Those happen to be some of the most recognizable places in those locals and holding liturgy at those places would sanctify it. Is not the command of our Lord and Savior to us is to go out and baptize all nations? By having Liturgy at this decoration, that is outside, are not the Orthodox making this place holy?

Joseph
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 11:03:47 AM »

Thats not allowed in the serbian Orthodox Church.....
Aren't statues allowed in Holy Serbian Orthodoxy?
The Serbian Orthodox Church seems disagree with you.
Behold the Theotokos of Sokolica monastery in Serbia.

We don't pray before  statues its alien to us ......It's not part of our Heritage......
Clearly, you do, and clearly it is.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:08:09 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 11:08:12 AM »

You going to Have To get rid Of The Roman Catholic Baggage if you Coming into Holy Orthodoxy.......Holy Ikon Show Deified Humanity , what where stuggling on this earth to achieve....

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 11:13:26 AM »

You going to Have To get rid Of The Roman Catholic Baggage if you Coming into Holy Orthodoxy......
Yes Benjamin the Red, you ex-Calvanist Roman Catholic you. Listen to stashko, he so clearly knows what he's talking about. Cheesy

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 11:14:54 AM »

Like I said probable Croatian Latin Influence....Thats Hanging out side on a wall somewhere, its not inside of the Church...There are serbian ecumenist that will venerate that,by rubbing there fingers over it...But not the Majority of the serbs... Grin

Like i Mentioned In Another thread ,we Have serbian Medieval Churches that have ugly gargoyles on them ..either latin influenced or ecumenist copying  the latins...

Thats not allowed in the serbian Orthodox Church.....
Aren't statues allowed in Holy Serbian Orthodoxy?
The Serbian Orthodox Church seems disagree with you.
Behold the Theotokos of Sokolica monastery in Serbia.

We don't pray before  statues its alien to us ......It's not part of our Heritage......
Clearly, you do, and clearly it is.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:29:40 AM by stashko » Logged

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 11:18:49 AM »

You going to Have To get rid Of The Roman Catholic Baggage if you Coming into Holy Orthodoxy......
Yes Benjamin the Red, you ex-Calvanist Roman Catholic you. Listen to stashko, he so clearly knows what he's talking about. Cheesy

Hang in there Ben, those of us who lived among Eastern Catholics or whose families left the Eastern Catholic church to rejoin Orthodoxy have put up with similar barbs all of our lives from the 'super-Orthodox' crowd. As my mother would say, consider the source and pray for them anyway.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 11:20:32 AM »

Lol. Darn me and my predestined statuary! I guess I should also throw out that photo of the Pope I keep in my home altar.  angel

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »

Like I said probable Croatian Latin Influence....
Wrong. Its Byzantine.

Thats Hanging out side on a wall somewhere, its not inside of the Church...
Wrong. Its inside the Church Check the video:
http://rt.com/news/convent-kosovo-sokolica-childbirth/

There are serbian ecumenist that will venerate that,by rubbing there fingers over it...But not Majority of the serbs... Grin
So Abbess Makaria and the other Kosovo nuns of Sokolica are "ecumenists"? So the war must have been your Serbian god's wrath eh?

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 11:32:39 AM »

Thats a Very Very good Begining........  Grin

Lol. Darn me and my predestined statuary! I guess I should also throw out that photo of the Pope I keep in my home altar.  angel

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »

Thats a Very Very good Begining........  Grin

I just want to clarify...I was joking...

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 11:42:31 AM »

We do Have a free serbian Othodox Church that did split due to ecumeisim, it will keep growning ,If The new Patriarch elect keeps courting the latins...including some of the bishops in the Serbian Holy Synod are ecumenist and are guilty of it as well.......

Wrong. Its Byzantine.

There are serbian ecumenist that will venerate that,by rubbing there fingers over it...But not Majority of the serbs... Grin
So Abbess Makaria and the other Kosovo nuns of Sokolica are "ecumenists"? So the war must have been your Serbian god's wrath eh?

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »

You realise you're trying to explain that to someone who thinks a Byzantine statue is "Latin", don't you?

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »

This statue was discussed before somewhere, it's  in a gangway but not inside the church....The only thing that may be allowed that comes close to a statue is raised relief images.....

Wrong. Its Byzantine.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:53:43 AM by stashko » Logged

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 11:56:52 AM »

You realise you're trying to explain that to someone who thinks a Byzantine statue is "Latin", don't you?

Then let me intensify my statement:

I, Benjamin the Red, am not nor have I ever been a communicant, catachumen or inquirer with the Roman Catholic Church. I have never taken interest in converting to Roman Catholicism, nor have I ever particularly cared for Roman Catholicism in any way, shape or form. I, Benjamin the Red, am not a Roman Catholic and have no plans to ever possibly be involved in any way with the Roman Catholic Church, as it currently stands in schism to the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church of Our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ.

How's that? Grin

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 11:58:50 AM »

This statue was discussed before somewhere, it's  in a gangway but not inside the church....The only thing that may be allowed that comes close to a statue is raised relief images.....

But relief images are graven! ECUMENIST!!!

And that's called a reducio ad absurdum. Wink
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:59:09 AM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 12:05:51 PM »

This statue was discussed before somewhere, it's  in a gangway but not inside the church....The only thing that may be allowed that comes close to a statue is raised relief images.....

But relief images are graven! ECUMENIST!!!

And that's called a reducio ad absurdum. Wink
How dare you question the Oracle of Orthodoxy?

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2011, 12:09:09 PM »

Wasn't it the Greek Orthodox Church That did a Good Job Destroying  if not most of the Pagan Deity statues ,that they could get there hands on...I read something about it ....Since Greeks were prone to Idol statue worship ,The Church banned them for use in churches.....And we did get our Faith from the greeks including our dislike for statues.....   I would like to give you my thanks for that.... Grin

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 12:24:52 PM by stashko » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2011, 12:10:04 PM »

Twice, I've been to Washington, D.C. and had my picture taken at the huge statue of Abraham Lincoln.

This must mean that I and everyone else there worship Abraham Lincoln, and don't even know it.

Roll Eyes

[/sarc]

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2011, 12:12:30 PM »

Quote from: stashko
Wasn't it the Greek Orthodox Church That did a Good Job Destroying  if not most of the Pagan statues ,that they could get there hands on...I read something about it .

That's why there are no ancient Greek statues in the natural history museums!

Oh, wait a minute...

Cheesy

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2011, 12:16:54 PM »

Wasn't it the Greek Orthodox Church That did a Good Job Destroying  if not most of the Pagan statues ,that they could get there hands on...I read something about it .

Oh, wait a minute...

Cheesy

Thank goodness those official Statue Destroyers are still doing their holy work to protect us from those evil statues, wherever they may be found.... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,281920,00.html  http://archaeology.about.com/od/heritagemanagement/a/buddha.htm  Grin
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 12:18:51 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2011, 12:24:17 PM »

Wasn't it the Greek Orthodox Church That did a Good Job Destroying  if not most of the Pagan statues ,that they could get there hands on...I read something about it .

Oh, wait a minute...

Cheesy

Thank goodness those official Statue Destroyers are still doing their holy work to protect us from those evil statues, wherever they may be found.... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,281920,00.html  http://archaeology.about.com/od/heritagemanagement/a/buddha.htm  Grin

Cheesy

Wasn't it the Greek Orthodox Church That did a Good Job Destroying  if not most of the Pagan statues ,that they could get there hands on...I read something about it ....Since Greeks were prone to Idol statue worship ,The Church banned them for use in churches.....And we did get our Faith from the greeks including our dislike for statues.....   I would like to give you my thanks for that.... Grin

Yes...because Greek pagan statues depicted gods, which they worshipped. Are you really not getting this distinction? I honestly feel like I'm talking with an iconoclast Protestant.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2011, 12:33:19 PM »

That statue Of Jesus is No different than those Greek Pagan gods the greeks worshiped....There all idols.....Not worthy of veneration.....The Holy Orthodox Church Has spoken on this......case is closed...... im going to bed ,Good night  or good Morning....  Grin

Oh, wait a minute...

Cheesy

Thank goodness those official Statue Destroyers are still doing their holy work to protect us from those evil statues, wherever they may be found.... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,281920,00.html  http://archaeology.about.com/od/heritagemanagement/a/buddha.htm  Grin

Cheesy

Wasn't it the Greek Orthodox Church That did a Good Job Destroying  if not most of the Pagan statues ,that they could get there hands on...I read something about it ....Since Greeks were prone to Idol statue worship ,The Church banned them for use in churches.....And we did get our Faith from the greeks including our dislike for statues.....   I would like to give you my thanks for that.... Grin

Yes...because Greek pagan statues depicted gods, which they worshipped. Are you really not getting this distinction? I honestly feel like I'm talking with an iconoclast Protestant.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 12:36:34 PM by stashko » Logged

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2011, 03:19:06 PM »

That statue Of Jesus is No different than those Greek Pagan gods the greeks worshiped....There all idols.....Not worthy of veneration.....The Holy Orthodox Church Has spoken on this......case is closed...... im going to bed ,Good night  or good Morning....  Grin

Because again...you think Christians with statuary worship the statue? You sound like an iconoclast. You know what the Church said about them. Except, the level at which you assault is on-par with low-church Protestants. What's worse, however, is that you're supposed to be Orthodox and have an understanding of these things. I think you have proven the contrary. Lord, have mercy.

Tags: Polish Orthodox Church Polish 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: