OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 08:31:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Search first or not?  (Read 796 times) Average Rating: 0
myrrhbear

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Trust in God

« on: January 14, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »

I'm new to the forum and love to read what people think. I am aware I can go into the archives and read posts made through the years on about any given topic. Do the other current readers here mind if the same subject is brought up again or do they prefer whoever has a question or concern be content with what has been written in the past? Really, there is nothing "new" to post but I like reading and sharing ideas with readers who are current. I would not like to be criticized for asking something that has been discussed in the past so I don't post often.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 08:02:11 PM »

It seems to me that people here are fairly open to discussing topics that have been discussed before, though a certain handful of topics (homosexuality, contraception, a few others) do get a bit old after the 50th thread. I've been on forums where you'll get blasted for bringing up a topic that's been discussed at length before, but most people here seem to be nice about it, and at most just offer a link to the other topic. Sometimes I even post on subjects that I know I've posted on before, because who knows who might have changed their views or come up with more information, or what new posters haven't got the chance to respond on the subject yet.
matholomathe

Faith: yes
Jurisdiction: yes

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 07:30:07 AM »

It's a sane activity when someone loses their job. They directly imagine they outperform update their preserve. Notwithstanding, updating their summary is not the prime locomote. It's not that it isn't grievous. It's righteous that there are different preliminary steps that job seekers demand to love before updating their change.
But for those who are fresh dismissed not by their own prime, it's retributory the start of the job look affect. And that agency there are whatsoever prelude steps that they should see before they spend time, endeavour and perchance steady money on updating their summary.

Links to commercial Web sites removed by moderator -PtA
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:31:59 AM »

It's a sane activity when someone loses their job. They directly imagine they outperform update their preserve. Notwithstanding, updating their summary is not the prime locomote. It's not that it isn't grievous. It's righteous that there are different preliminary steps that job seekers demand to love before updating their change.
But for those who are fresh dismissed not by their own prime, it's retributory the start of the job look affect. And that agency there are whatsoever prelude steps that they should see before they spend time, endeavour and perchance steady money on updating their summary.

What language do I use in google to translate this into English?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 08:33:17 AM »

I'm new to the forum and love to read what people think. I am aware I can go into the archives and read posts made through the years on about any given topic. Do the other current readers here mind if the same subject is brought up again or do they prefer whoever has a question or concern be content with what has been written in the past? Really, there is nothing "new" to post but I like reading and sharing ideas with readers who are current. I would not like to be criticized for asking something that has been discussed in the past so I don't post often.

The forum search is OK. Try a google expression instead:

site:http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/ TERMx TERMy TERMz TERMetc

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:21:42 PM »

well, if you look at a post that's 2 years old, chances are some of the posters don't post here anymore, and there are MANY of us who joined since then, and would love to give you our opinions on the topic!   Grin

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
myrrhbear

Trust in God

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 07:50:08 PM »

LOL. That's what I was hoping.  laugh I did search for and read some very interesting posts on the Jesus Prayer that answered my question. I don't intend to jump on hot issue topics that cause division. There are deeper spiritual matters that I think we can always discuss, at least discuss sources for the information.  It's uplifting to read posts made by new converts and those honestly seeking. Although some do mention that a topic has been discussed before, us newbies do want to get the current 'take' on things.
Humbly,
Myrrhbear

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 08:51:56 PM »

us newbies do want to get the current 'take' on things.
Humbly,
Myrrhbear

You do realize that to many here "current" or "bleeding edge" means like 1600 years old.

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 11:49:42 PM »

matholomathe,

You might be interested in this thread:
Hi everyone! I'm a bot, are you?

and I'd like to compliment you on the sheer number of fora to which you've registered these past 3 to 4 days - everything from home improvement to Nigerian friendship sites. You obviously have eclectic tastes.

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:52:08 PM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
myrrhbear

Trust in God

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 08:29:35 AM »

us newbies do want to get the current 'take' on things.
Humbly,
Myrrhbear

You do realize that to many here "current" or "bleeding edge" means like 1600 years old.

Yes,  Cheesy, I was thinking of latest books and podcasts, articles, and all that are helpful, too.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 11:56:31 AM »

matholomathe,

You might be interested in this thread:
Hi everyone! I'm a bot, are you?

and I'd like to compliment you on the sheer number of fora to which you've registered these past 3 to 4 days - everything from home improvement to Nigerian friendship sites. You obviously have eclectic tastes.

Many years,

Neil

lulz.

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 08:10:14 PM »

What's up with the search function not working?

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: