OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 08:37:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Congressional Hearing  (Read 467 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: January 16, 2011, 06:38:11 PM »

http://english.freecopts.net/english//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1202&Itemid=1

Congressional Hearing on Christians of Egypt & Iraq
January 20, 2011 at 10am -12 pm in Rayburn House Office Building, Room 2359

What do you think the purpose of the hearing is for? Recognition of the threat to Christianity in Egypt and Iraq? I know a good showing of people in important. But I wonder what could actually be accomplished at the hearing?
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 12:25:40 AM »

I guess the fact that the New Year's Eve bombing in Alexandria got international attention has caused the authorities in Egypt to start taking this sort of thing more seriously.  The perpetrator of a Christmas massacre of Copts last year just got the death penalty:

A court in southern Egypt on Sunday convicted and sentenced to death a Muslim man for his part in last year's Christmas drive-by shooting outside a church that left six Christians and a Muslim guard dead, judicial officials said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110116/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt_christmas_attack_3

Perhaps the Congressional hearing will put additional pressure on the authorities in Egypt and encourage them to stop treating their Coptic minority like second class citizens.  It would be wise for the Coptic community to get as many people as possible to the hearings.  There is power in numbers.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: