OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 12:19:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer For Mental and Spiritual Healing  (Read 635 times) Average Rating: 0
John123

Faith: Inquering Christian

« on: January 14, 2011, 08:02:12 AM »

Please excuse any cognitive dissonance this post may contain.

Im a 20 year old recovering opiate/marijuana addict and I am in desperate need of mental healing. I am currently so scattered brained and paranoid it is difficult for me to function in society. I have been free from opiates for about 6 months and free from marijuana for about 3 and the lack of progress I am showing is starting to scare me.

Since becoming sober it has become apparent that I need to reestablish my faith and get grounded in a church. To give a little background I was baptized as an infant into the Roman Catholic Church but was raised in a Methodist Church. At around the age of 17 due to miserable circumstances in my life I backslide into deep depression and abandoned my faith and got involved in drugs.

It is painfuly obvious to me now that my lack of faith in God was a crucial part in my down fall. The past few months I have seriously been contemplating exactly what I believe in. I feel drawn towards Orthodoxy but my current mental state is really preventing me from properly studying its history and beliefs. In fact, Im having difficulty learning anything new, really, I find it hard to comprehend even the most simplest things or have an intelligent conversation with people. This is especially scary to me because while my symptoms are certainly drug induced, they may be a precursor to something like schizophrenia. And right now my family is currently living in a state of poverty so my treatment options are very limited.

I came here because I have deep respect for the commitment to Christ that that the people of the orthodoxy faith show and I trust that the people of this forum are close to God.  I don't know where I stand with God, and in all honesty, I do question his existence to this day from time to time. In the back of my mind I fear that I may have committed the "unforgivable sin". Hopefully I haven't though because no matter how much I question my faith and feel shut off from God there seems to be a little spark that keeps driving me back towards Him (if that makes any sense)

Sorry for the novel, in short please pray for mental and spiritual healing for me and my family (sadly, each member of my family has their own horror story, as we are all recovering from the wreckage from the abuse of my father, who was an alcoholic)

Thank you
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 08:06:37 AM by John123 » Logged
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 10:15:58 AM »

Every sin can be forgiven. Christ is the lover of mankind, the Saviour of mankind, who loves us each of us more than we can imagine.

You should not only ask for prayers but pray yourself. Repeat the Lord's Prayer often to yourself, talk to God, make the sign of the Cross often, upon rising and before rest. When you feel pain, and don't want to do anything, repeat "Thy will be done, Father!". Even addressing a thought to God is considered a prayer.

As Christ forgives and all everything, we must forgive all and everyone. Forgive your father his sins, pray for his soul. Ask for forgiveness and forgive, that is Christ's message. Revenge against your father will only worsen your lot.

Return to the church, participate in the sacramental life of the Church, accept Anointing and Confession. Also do not be afraid to go to a psychologist or therapist. They are there to help.

May God keep you safe and strong, and may the Mother of God, the ever-Virgin, Mary keep you under her tutelage. Amen

Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 10:27:55 AM »

There is this notion that if a person is afraid that he/she has committed the unforgivable sin (blasphemy against the Holy Spirit), it most definitely means that this person has NOT committed it. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is, actually, a very stubborn unbelief in anything spiritual; people who blaspheme against the Holy Spirit refuse to fear (or even to acknowledge any possibility for) being judged for their actions by any supreme "otherwordly" Judge.

You are in my unworthy prayer, John 123. Lord, have mercy! +

Love never fails.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 12:20:18 PM »

John, God can forgive any sin...it's up to us to realize we have sinned, repent and ask His forgiveness.

Welcome to the forum.  May it be a source of strength for you.

:-)

Lord, have mercy on Your servant John, heal him and his family, and open his eyes to Your loving grace.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 01:24:33 PM »

Dear John:

Your writing sounds quite articulate and lucid, so I suspect you are primarily suffering a problem connecting your thoughts to your speech. I've had that problem in the past myself, and it cleared up after several months, so I know it can be temporary. God willing, it may also be so with you. Please don't despair. The body has a certain ability to repair itself over time; you're very young. Just stay away from the drugs. You're far too intelligent to be doing them.

I hope you realize what a blessing God has given you that you understand that you need to be back at His side. What an incredible grace! Can this turn out to be anything but wonderful?  Healing is already starting.

Work on the things you can control, and leave the rest to God. If you have a hard time reading, listen to one of the Orthodox radio stations on the internet. That may be easier for you to absorb right now. The "Our Life in Christ" is a very good educational podcast.

Forgive yourself--as God already has. And forgive anyone you have not already forgiven. It's a big burden off your soul.

Start praying the Jesus Prayer whenever you start to stress out or become despondent; it's very powerful. There are shorter versions, but I use this one: 'Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

And start attending your local Orthodox church! God loves visitors--especially when He's sent them an invitation. "The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart, Oh God, Thou wilt not despise."

I will keep you, and your family, in my prayers.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:26:45 PM by sainthieu » Logged
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 03:31:19 PM »

Lord, have mercy. It's important that you try and exercise patience from this point forward. It's not an easy thing that you have accomplished so far. Keep it up. Quitting anything that becomes bodily dependent is very difficult. I quit smoking cigarettes a few years back and still to this day feel the urge to smoke them. Everyday you are off of your dependence is a battle towards independence. The urges do become less and less over time. With enough time and patience you will overcome it.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 03:59:10 AM »

Lord have Mercy.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:11:53 AM »

Prayers.........
Lord Have Mercy.......Amen Amen

Prayers That the Lord grants you Strength to overcome all obstacles,
in your life.....Read the story about the prodigal son ,it should give you strength,
it Shows the great love God Has for Mankind in all manner of fallen states.......
Your smart to seek out the Ancient Holy Orthodox  Apostolic Catholic Church,After all  it is a
Hospital for the fallen......Amen Amen

Prayers to The Most Blessed Theotokos ,Mother Of God for Her help,and that she Put
you under her Mantle of protection.....Amen Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 09:18:40 AM »

wrong post.... Grin
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 09:21:12 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Tags: desperate 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: